Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isildurs Bane and Peter Hammill team up for a new album

Isildurs Bane and Peter Hammill team up for a new album

It was just announced on the facebook of Isildurs Bane. The new album with Peter Hammill is currently being mixed.
    No more details were shared.

Oh yes Please !!!

Surprising pairing but all the more wonderful.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wow! Auto-buy for this guy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Really? That would certainly be a wonderful and totally unexpected twist! But it's odd that PH did not mention this in his recent post at Sofa Sound. He does mention contribtions to a Tim Bowness album and states "There are a couple of other sets of recordings to which I've made contributions in the last months which will hopefully see the light of day in the near future...and a major release will be incoming shortly on Fie!. I'll keep you posted."

Hmmmm

It is not THAT surprising really since he was the special guest at last years IB expo.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It is not THAT surprising really since he was the special guest at last years IB expo.
    Documented herein
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Documented herein

Man, Hammill sounds great in that clip. It could have come from six months after the original album.

Banned
    Thanks! I had no idea.

Can't wait to see him live in some 6 weeks from now. I don't care how his voice sounds. I intend to sit in some dark corner and just cry.

Expect more news about the forthcoming IB & PH album on IB's FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Expect more news about the forthcoming IB & PH album on IB's FB page.
    Awesome news, Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Can't wait to see him live in some 6 weeks from now. I don't care how his voice sounds. I intend to sit in some dark corner and just cry.
    I say this with no sarcasm whatsoever: that sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I say this with no sarcasm whatsoever: that sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction.
    +1

Well, the relationship is past musical context by now.

Speaking of this context, I am listening to X/ten on Spotify right now and it's pretty good actually, these songs sound much more vibrant in a live recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Well, the relationship is past musical context by now.

Speaking of this context, I am listening to X/ten on Spotify right now and it's pretty good actually, these songs sound much more vibrant in a live recording.
    Hammill's writing has always hit me right in the gut. I saw him solo in Philadelphia about 15 years ago, keyboard & acoustic guitar accompanied only by a violinist. It was beautiful and emotionally devastating for me.

Hammill's writing has always hit me right in the gut. I saw him solo in Philadelphia about 15 years ago, keyboard & acoustic guitar accompanied only by a violinist. It was beautiful and emotionally devastating for me.

Same here. You chose some pretty accurate wording there.

I can't help being reminded of a friend's words after PH's solo performance at NEARFest when he walked out after witnessing what he called "sad bastard music".

Personally, I liked that performance. I've never heard much (if any?) of IB's music. Might have to grab an album or two.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Hammill has resonated with me like no other song writer, particularly his early stuff. It's like he can grab one's feelings, materialize and expel them in a cathertic paroxism. I first saw him in 1979 and every time I've seen him the performance has been emotional and mezmerizing except for the first 30 minutes of that first show in '79 where I was front and center a few feet from him and struggling not to throw up. I had met him and had a nice chat (and too many Belgian Trappist ales) before the show and requested Man Erg. He said that really wasn't in his current set lists etc. He made quizzical eye contact with me when I was able to raise my head from between my knees with apparent concern and then played Man Erg! What a night!

^ Great story Buddha. It shows the quality of the man. And Man-Erg, what a song, that 11/8 section has carved new paths in my central nervous system.

One of my favorite instrumental bands teamed up with my favorite singer/songwriter means unconditional autobuy. And BTW the above clip is awesome, showing PH in great shape. Excellent news ! thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Hammill has resonated with me like no other song writer, particularly his early stuff. It's like he can grab one's feelings, materialize and expel them in a cathertic paroxism. I first saw him in 1979 and every time I've seen him the performance has been emotional and mezmerizing except for the first 30 minutes of that first show in '79 where I was front and center a few feet from him and struggling not to throw up. I had met him and had a nice chat (and too many Belgian Trappist ales) before the show and requested Man Erg. He said that really wasn't in his current set lists etc. He made quizzical eye contact with me when I was able to raise my head from between my knees with apparent concern and then played Man Erg! What a night!
    Great story.

I'm in.
    The Prog Corner

Works for me!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Very glad to see that people seem to look forward to this release. There will be more news within a week or two. Or something like that.