Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zappa Question

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    OK, so here's a question that only major Zappa fans would have a serious opinion on...

which piece do you like better between these two?
    Transylvania Boogie off Chunga's Revenge
    or
    For Calvin... off Grand Wazoo

one is a jam and one is totally composed
    Calvin is just so good. A favorite of mine.
    <sig out of order>

I never picked up 200 Motels. Are there any longish instrumentals on that one?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Not as such...but there are several long suites that are among Zappa's best IMO. This Town is a Sealed Tuna Sandwich occupies most of side 1 and is one of my favourite things Frank ever wrote. For all the criticism they get, I think Flo and Eddie are brilliant on this. It has a long instrumental section...mostly orchestral, but with drum kit as well. Side 2 has the suite known as Shove it Right In, which mixes band/vocal sections with orchestral interludes before closing with a 4 min piece for orchestra, chorus and keys (harpsichord mainly I think). There is however the much earlier version of 200 Motels which IS largely instrumental and is only available as an audience recording from the live gig with Zubin Mehta and the L.A Phil. It starts around 26 mins into the show with a version of Pound for a Brown and then heads off into orchestral territory and lots of familiar Zappa themes:

No jazz/rock pieces. Lots of his avant garde/classical composing.

I like the Uncle Meat Variations and Music For Violin and Low Budget Orchestra so perhaps I need to find 200 Motels and listen to it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...els-The-Suites

The thread on ‘200 Motels: The Suites’

Get the LA Phil/Salonen Suites recording also....it's phenomenal.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson