Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Educate me on Garage Rock

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

There was a huge garage rock revival in the 80s as well.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    There was a huge garage rock revival in the 80s as well.
    OF COURSE there was. Nothing original came out of the 1980s.

Other countries had their own varieties

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Educate you as in you know nothing and are just scratching the surface?

I would highly recommend jumping in with any of the Rhino Nuggets compilations and/or any of the other countless box set comps that do a good job without much overlap with Nuggets like Rubble, Mindrocker, Circus Days and much more.

If you want to move onto just one album that is absolutely essential then here it is -

Never heard of them. Wow. Pretty wild. I'm watching their documentary on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    OF COURSE there was. Nothing original came out of the 1980s.
    In the late '80s, Neil Young and Crazy Horse were touring as (if I recall correctly) the Third Best Garage Band in the World. this is the first half of the show I saw:

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

a favorite by The Sonics, surprisingly not mentioned yet:

(and speaking of NY/Crazy Horse, they used to do a cover of "Farmer John". I didn't know who did it originally until this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post

(and speaking of NY/Crazy Horse, they used to do a cover of "Farmer John". I didn't know who did it originally until this thread!
    I thought possibly someone had mentioned The Sonics earlier but you can't mention them too many times. For my money The Monks and The Sonics are the finest examples of garage rock. I was fortunate to see The Sonics play in 2015 with founding members Gerry, Larry and Bill, they were absolutely on fire and made it to my to 10 concert list of all time.

Here is another essential album that should be in everyone's collection.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    See post #6

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    See post #6
    The song I posted wasn't mentioned, not the band.

I've heard almost all of Black Monk Time. What a trip. Wacky. Ahead of their time. Those fuzzed out guitars and all the percussion and banjo.....

What differentiates Garage from Psych ?
    What about British bands ?

I like these a lot

https://youtu.be/QydgPHAJ5mg
    https://youtu.be/wGXArSo0DWI

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Well in my opinion -- and it's all opinion, because none of these labels are real -- "garage" is fast and relentless and pile-driving. "Psych" is usually slower, often includes reverb or other effects, often includes instrumental breaks or solo instruments. The songs concentrate on the SOUND more, instead of being about the rhythm.

Of the two you listed, I'd say the first is both, the second is firmly psych.

The Monks don't sound garage-y to me. I just hear a really, quirky, ahead of their time, progressive group. They were new wave 15 years before new wave in the 80s.

I'm checking out The Sonics now. Another group I never heard of from the 60s. What I've heard sounds kinda proto-metalish, blues rock, but raw and garage-y.

What's been retroactively namechecked as garage-rock was almost exclusively American, much due to the style's denominating influences - from rhythm & blues, surf, 50s r&r and British invasion. An early seminal garage-rock group was Paul Revere & the Raiders, whose Just Like Us (recorded October/November 1965) was arguably the first full-blown such album - although fairly well-known acts like The Kingsmen had by then already championed the characteristics of garage-rock since '63.

The transition into psych came rather organically with classic releases like the debut Electric Prunes and albums by The Blues Magoos, Seeds, Count Five, The Standells, Chocolate Watch Band and many more. Interestingly, unlike most "proper" psych bands, the garage bands almost uniformly appeared to anticipate The Rolling Stones' movements before facilitating their own. The RS' "Paint It Black" single was basically an absolute antecedent for the transition.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The RS' "Paint It Black" single was basically an absolute antecedent for the transition.
    Paint it black ?
    first number one hit featuring a sitar
    Please elaborratec

^ Brit-invasion acts like the Stones, The Animals, early The Kinks and early Pretty Things were seminal to the development of garage-rock in the US, where the bands already were integrating 50s rock&roll, surf and more. When the Stones released "Paint It Black" in Spring '66, this coincided with The Byrds issuing "Eight Miles High" - both of which attempted to express a form of cacophonic sound. The Beatles would perfect that with their October release of "Tomorrow Never Knows", by which time the idea of rock cacophony had taken on a whole new level of sophistication - as in psychedelia. Even a band like The Doors basically started as an extension to the rawest sounds of their L.A. heroes, Love - as exhibited in the latter's "My Flash On You" (from early '66), for instance.

There arguably weren't many pure garage-rock groups left by early '67. Even a core exponent like The Monks had gone "psych" by the time of their '67 Hamburg recordings, tiny snippets of which share a bizarre resemblance to the recordings Can made under their Inner Space-moniker or on the Delay 68-album.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

60s garage rock was an american phenomenon. Influenced by the bands from the british invasion (especially Stones, Kinks, Them and the Animals) of course...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    60s garage rock was an american phenomenon. Influenced by the bands from the british invasion (especially Stones, Kinks, Them and the Animals) of course...
    Damn!!!

I named a non american band.

I hate being wrong
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Damn!!!

I named a non american band.

I hate being wrong
    I'll try and rebuild your self esteem - Garage doesn't have to be exclusively american (IMO), early Kinks, Pretty Things and even Stones are very garage-y. Anything that conjures the image of a bunch of guys banging out 3 chords and a cloud of dust in a garage (or maybe a 'shed' as they might say in the UK) should qualify.

Doesn't all have to be from the 60's either, plenty of current generation bands keeping the sound alive with a good amount of authenticity, check out The Hives, Mooney Suzuki, the Oh Sees, the Allah Las and many more.

I have to think that some of the early Beatles stuff has to be considered.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I have to think that some of the early Beatles stuff has to be considered.
    Without a doubt