Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone interested in laying down some leads? or Collaberating?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I did not record the MIDI information for the drums. I learned my lesson years ago with that - because people HATE "drum machines" - Contra Mantra used MIDI drums, where I recorded my drum parts on an SPD8 and then "quantized" it and added some additional parts using MIDI... People who know music, heard the drum machine a mile off, and gave the album a big fat zero because of it. These drums are digital, but they are being played by a real person (me), no quantization, no "drum Machine" involved. So I didnt record the MIDI information, the drums are an actual performance (though I did not play the entire 22 minutes in one take!) I didn't preserve the MIDI information.
    Just wanted to chime in on that. There's nothing wrong with recording MIDI data from eDrums. Actually the recorded MIDI data will capture all the nuances of your original performance. If you then play it back through your Roland sound module you should get the same sound as if you were playing it. The problem you had was not because you recorded MIDI data, but because you messed with it by quantization. You should never mess with the MIDI data (except of course to fix some minor mistakes if you want to). But do not ever quantize everything, that's a huge mistake and it will totally kill your performance.

The advantage of recording MIDI instead of audio is that you can later use some better software to reproduce the drum sounds. Superior Drummer is one of the very best around, you should really give it a try. The internal sounds from Roland modules are very artificial, anyone can tell they are not coming from a real drum kit. The best way to do it would be to play your eDrums kit but using the MIDI Out to trigger the Superior Drummer sounds instead of the internal ones. That way you can hear yourself playing the more realistic drum sounds while recording, so what you hear is exactly what will be the final result. If you don't have Superior Drummer (or a similar software), which seems to be the case, then the next best thing would be to record your drums normally, using the sounds from your module and then also recording the MIDI data together with the audio. By doing that, you can later on use the MIDI data to trigger the Superior Drummer, and the audio track could be used as reference in case you have some non-standard note mappings in your module.

Just to give you an idea of how good it sounds, I have a friend who is a top session drummer here in Brazil. He is used to record in the best studios with great sound engineers. He has a Roland VDrums kit in his apartment for practising, which he also uses sometimes when he wants to record some guide tracks at home. One day I took my laptop to his apartment and we used Superior Drummer to record some performances from his VDrums kit (which is something he'd never done before). He was amazed by the results. When I sent him a rough mix the next day he said it totally sounded like himself playing a real kit, he just could't tell the difference.

Another example was with my old band Mahtrak, when the guitarrist once brought in some demos of his compositions for us to hear. His tracks had some very good jazz-rock drumming (think Billy Cobham style) and our drummer was amazed and asked who was the drummer who recorded it. He laughed and said it was BFD (another software similar to Superior Drummer). It turns out he had programmed all the drum parts manually (he doesn't have an eDrum kit), but he took great care in making it sound realistic (for example, turning off snap to grid option so when inserting the notes they don't fall exactly on grid, adjusting velocities so they have some variation, including ghost notes, flams, drags, rolls and everything else a real drummer would do). So it is even possible to get a very realistic performance without playing any drums at all, but this is a lot of work and the result is not always perfect. The best way to do it really is to play it on electronic drums so that you get all the nuances of a real player in real time (instead of taking days to painstakingly insert every single note and make it sound realistic).

Just my 4 cents on the subject, hope it helps... and good luck with your recordings!
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Whoa, you're from Jaugernaut? I've seen Contra Mantra online before! I never realized that was you.

I'm gonna have to check it out!
    ........Yeah, I was kind of a big deal...

But of course, Aith - you are always welcome to check out Contra Mantra. Prepare to be dazzled.

Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Just wanted to chime in on that. There's nothing wrong with recording MIDI data from eDrums. ........ It turns out he had programmed all the drum parts manually (he doesn't have an eDrum kit), but he took great care in making it sound realistic (for example, turning off snap to grid option so when inserting the notes they don't fall exactly on grid, adjusting velocities so they have some variation, including ghost notes, flams, drags, rolls and everything else a real drummer would do). So it is even possible to get a very realistic performance without playing any drums at all, but this is a lot of work and the result is not always perfect. The best way to do it really is to play it on electronic drums so that you get all the nuances of a real player in real time (instead of taking days to painstakingly insert every single note and make it sound realistic).

Just my 4 cents on the subject, hope it helps... and good luck with your recordings!
    Hey, thank you very much for your idea!

I have never tried to preserve the MIDI metadata while playing drums. Its an easy thing to do, but... I am using two drum modules. does the software actually have enough "inputs" to record a 21 piece kit? I am not that creative a drummer and so I compensate with lots of sounds. I had heard from drummers I know, say that MIDI is not a reliable recording technique. I do tend to put in plenty of "live" feeling with the drums (not purposely). If its easy to map the MIDI drums from 2 machines into a couple MIDI tracks where you can assign a plethora of different sounds, That might be something to consider, though I havent even considered buying the software for that. Bruce - do you have that software? because I could probably redo the drums (especially, if you would like to add some space for some extended leads in the song -Think about it) and try using the MIDI info to make me sound like a MuthuDrummer. I've got the time. Lets talk about pmrviana's idea. I bet you would go for it. I would just have to buy more MIDI cables. - Do you think mapping out the drums split across 2 MIDI channels (or could I combine them into 1?) would work?

Oh, how does MIDI do with things like rolls and cymbal swells? - That would be an important thing to be concerned about I do use those things...
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-15-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, I have Superior Drummer 2. Great program! Read about it here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ior-drummer-20

FYI, Superior Drummer 3 is now out and is a major upgrade of an already amazing piece of software, but I need more $$ first, even though the upgrade version is a bit cheaper than buying it outright.

What pmrviana is saying is in fact what I was getting at in one of my previous posts (albeit not nearly as articulately as he has phrased it). As he pointed out, the MIDI from your Roland edrums would preserve your performance but allow for it to trigger better drum sounds, which is win-win. As for how to do that, you'd have to play the parts again to generate the MIDI data. I'm not sure if I can answer your question about the MIDI channels. I *think* you could do it all with one channel, but I could just as easily be mistaken.

Alternatively, you could get Toontrack's Drumtracker, which "listens" to audio tracks and creates MIDI data of all the various drum kit components. Actually, I have this as well, but I cannot get it to work! I've been trying to use it, but it crashes every time.

Typically drums are preset to perform on MIDI track 10. I would think that if I ran both modules into track 10 - there would be duplicate MIDI note numbers, produced from each module, We would have to either use a separate track for the additional MIDI notes from the 2nd machine, or figure out how to tell one of the modules to use alternative numbers. Not sure how that would work. It would probably be best to just use the 2nd track. The drum Software may flip out about that. I wonder it the inventors of MIDI - or the Drum Software took into consideration more than one drummer - Like the Alman Brothers or The Grateful Dead... I think it can be done, just not sure how. I think MIDI is pretty flexible.

I can probably buy the software. Lets try is with your current copy and see if an upgrade is in order. Me week just got a lot busier. I can send you a test version to see if it works, and if it will suit our purposes. I may start to do this all the time if the software really can do my performance justice

Okay, I'm game! I think if you were to get SD 2 or 3, you'd have the best of both worlds: you'd still have your Roland kit, which you are accustomed to playing, but you'd also have a much larger and more realistic-sounding library of drum sounds at your disposal.

Is you main occupation a computer programmer? Just curious.

I am a DBA - I work with Database systems. Oracle, DB2, SQL...others. Not exactly a "programmer" - It's a little different from that.

Ah, I see. I have a good friend who lives in Albuquerque who does computer trouble-shooting stuff for Northrup-Grumman. He's been deeply into computers since the early 80's - the very beginnings of it actually.

A DBA is kind of an odd thing. There are 3 parts to computers... There is Hardware, Software, and then there is the actual information that is stored on the computers themselves. DBA's (some of them anyway) are the ones charged with designing the information, how it is stored, what information is related to what... thats mostly stored in databases. I design databases and populate data into and out of those databases. Its kind of a unique field, sometimes very challenging, sometimes its boring as hell. - OK it's mostly boring as hell. Programmers write code against the data that I am responsible for - I usually dont do a lot of programming myself. Just enough to manipulate and maintain the data in a way that keeps it as accessible (or as secure) as is apropos.

But DBA work is what got me interested in Quantum Mechanics, I kept getting told my job was going to be replaced by quantum computers, so I figured I ought to know something about them. Turns out, reality is far stranger than I thought. Not just that my job isnt in any immediate danger, but the world itself is far stranger than I ever considered. Good fodder for music discussions - Lyrically. And its made me want to learn more and more. I'm becoming a Quantum Physics nerd. Its perfect for prog, because it doesnt make sense, but its also not filled with capes, wizards and moonbeams - well it sort of has moonbeams, but not in the Jon Anderson, weed smoking way of moon beams. Real moonbeams, which actually are photons... which are in some ways beams- or waves and yet also particles...

See what I did there?

Banned
    Real moonbeams, which actually are photons... which are in some ways beams- or waves and yet also particles...
    ...as in the great cut off of Trisector "Interference Patterns"!

BTW, I was an Oracle DBA for several years. Now I'm just an IT bullshit artist...

Typically drums are preset to perform on MIDI track 10. I would think that if I ran both modules into track 10 - there would be duplicate MIDI note numbers, produced from each module, We would have to either use a separate track for the additional MIDI notes from the 2nd machine, or figure out how to tell one of the modules to use alternative numbers. Not sure how that would work. It would probably be best to just use the 2nd track. The drum Software may flip out about that. I wonder it the inventors of MIDI - or the Drum Software took into consideration more than one drummer - Like the Alman Brothers or The Grateful Dead... I think it can be done, just not sure how. I think MIDI is pretty flexible.
    The best way of doing this (not necessarily the easiest) would be to combine the signal from both modules into a single MIDI stream. The way to do this is to connect the MIDI OUT from one of your modules to the MIDI IN of the other and then the MIDI OUT/THRU from this second module to the computer. In the second module you will also have to enable the MIDI THRU funcion in the MIDI settings of your module. This will tell the module to replicate everything it receives in the MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT/THRU, thus effectively combining both signals into one single data stream. But you need to also check a few other things for that to work. First, it would be recomended (though not mandatory) to have both modules transmitting on the same MIDI Channel (e.g. 10). Then you also need to make sure that there aren't any overlaping notes between the two modules. Which means you would probably have to reprogram one of your modules to make sure it doesn't use any of the notes that are being used by the other module. Then, in Superior Drummer you will have to create a template mapping all the notes from the different modules to the correct sounds.

An easier way would be to just connect each module to a separate MIDI input (assuming you have multiple MIDI inputs in your MIDI interface) to the computer and record them both at the same time. Then you don't need to worry about reprograming anything on the modules. For each track you would assign a different instance of Superior Drummer and create two different templates, one for each module. In this case it doesn't matter if there are repeated notes, since they will be on different tracks and then can be assigned to different instances of the plugin. The only drawback here is that this will take more resources from your computer (as you are running two plugins instead of one) and it will probably give you some headache when it's time to mix the drums as you will have sounds coming from two different instances of Superior Drummer, and some of the features like leakage and snare buzz will not work correctly across the different instances (for example, playing a high tom in instance 2 will not trigger the snare buzz on instance 1). Having said that, it is not very critical, as most people disable those options anyway.
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com

Oh, how does MIDI do with things like rolls and cymbal swells? - That would be an important thing to be concerned about I do use those things...
    Forgot to comment on that... rolls and cymbal swells are just recorded as you play them (i.e. every single note from the roll with it's own velocity). The important thing for having a realistic roll (instead of the dreaded "machine gun" effect) is how your sound module will interpret that sequence of notes. Roland modules do a pretty good job at that, as does Superior Drummer, or any of the other modern drum plugins. So you don't need to worry about that, your module or plugin will take care of it.

Other things such as HiHat Pedal position or snare drum positional sensing are recorded as MIDI CC messages, which are also correctly interpreted by Superior Drummer. Actually Superior Drummer does an absolutely outstanding job in treating the HiHat Pedal movements. You can play it continuously moving from closed to open and the transitions are continuous as in a real HiHat. Also, even if you move the pedal after hitting the HiHat, the sound will change accordingly for the rest of the sound duration. Cymbal chokes are recorded as aftertouch messages, but you really don't need to worry about any of that as Superior Drummer uses the same standard messages as the Roland modules so everything will work as expected. Just make sure you don't have any message filters enabled on your DAW when you record the MIDI data. Sometimes there are settings to discard aftertouch messages, or some particular CC messages, so just make sure there is nothing like that enabled. You have to record everything exactly as it comes from the module.

Yeah I was thinking that two tracks may be the simpler way to go. I dont know if I can actually "tell" my TD-11 to send different MIDI numbers thru the MIDI interface. The kick drum would have to be assigned a different midi note, because both units probably broadcast midi note 1 (or whatever it is) as the kick. I think the input on the "kick" for the TD11 actually triggers a hi tom, or a splash. Not a kick sound at all, I have a different sound associated with that trigger, but Midi will just send note 1 information. Incidentally, the note does not include all the features, I program into the module does it? - things like patch, tuning, snare rattle, brightness will it? it will just send basic note information, like duration, velocity, and pan right? All the tuning and brightness is done on the sample within the module itself right? Not sent in the MIDI information.

Incidentally the TD=12 has really good sounds. They are pretty much almost perfect. The TD-11 while still good is a step down. I still have an even older module that I think is a TD-8 that I no longer use. It was noisy and the drum roll sound was just not quite right. Both the TD-11 and TD-12 are very precise when it comes to snare response. both handle the snare nuances nicely. Not that I am a "real" drummer, but I probably have an Okay ear for these things. I am not a non-drummer, and I have done my own share of programming drum machines. I just prefer a natural drummer to a machine. If the machine can mimic the drummer that's OK, but I consider it crossing a line to just use a mouse to type in a drum part. To me that means there is no drummer. No one spent 5 or ten years mastering an instrument. I need that in music. Pushing a button is not musical. It may take some kind of programming talent and patience, but thats not something that can be reproduced dynamically on a stage. I guess that's what I need in music. I want to sense some suffering dammit!

I dont know if I can actually "tell" my TD-11 to send different MIDI numbers thru the MIDI interface.
    Yes, for sure you can, but that may be too much trouble, maybe not worth it...

Incidentally, the note does not include all the features, I program into the module does it? - things like patch, tuning, snare rattle, brightness will it? it will just send basic note information, like duration, velocity, and pan right? All the tuning and brightness is done on the sample within the module itself right? Not sent in the MIDI information.
    No, MIDI information does not include any of that. Those are specific to your drum module and may be completely meaningless to a different module. So these kind of parameters are always programmed in the module itself (or in this case the plugin, which you can think of as a "soft" module).

Incidentally the TD=12 has really good sounds.
    It is pretty decent indeed, but no one will be fooled into thinking those are real drum sounds. You will be amazed by the difference, believe me!

I just prefer a natural drummer to a machine. If the machine can mimic the drummer that's OK, but I consider it crossing a line to just use a mouse to type in a drum part. To me that means there is no drummer. No one spent 5 or ten years mastering an instrument. I need that in music. Pushing a button is not musical. It may take some kind of programming talent and patience, but thats not something that can be reproduced dynamically on a stage. I guess that's what I need in music. I want to sense some suffering dammit!
    100% agreed!

Well, instead of just taking my word for it, listen yourself to a rough mix of one of the songs I recorded with the session drummer which I mentioned in one of my previous posts:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsTxCJlPrmyxguhyrnST0xMAtqpJTQ

Please don't mind the guitar solo at the end, it's just me fooling around and having some fun on an instrument I sure can't play!

^^^ Thanks for that - It doesnt seen to want to play, but I'm downloading

Huh, a little light reading for the curious soul! https://www.roland.com/us/support/kn...ase/201919719/

When you play on the TD-11's pads, each of them send out a different MIDI Note Number. These Note Numbers are preassigned from the factory, however they can be changed in the TD-11 if desired. For example, if you're using the TD-11 to trigger an external device through MIDI (e.g. software, sound module) and you're not able to trigger specific sounds using the existing TD-11's MIDI Note mapping, you can specify which Note Numbers are transmitted from each pad. Here's how:

(It goes on...) Time for me to do my homework! I Think I can use the TD12 to use the standard numbers and then assign higher notes to the MIDI on the TD11 - boom! down to 1 channel.

I wish there were a good drummer out there who would enjoy recording this kind of thing. (there probably is somewhere) I am much more of a composer/singer than a drum tech. I have to say I am a little bummed that my drumming has been summarily dismissed - or so it seems. That's NOT a terrible bit of drumming I did! - Okay not perfect, and I agree that if it could be better, it ought to be... but crap! I picked the drums back up in 2004 after years of playing with a drummer named Jeff Wade - who also played in Vanderhoof and Metal Church back in the 90's (he played in Jaugernaut in the 80's) - He heard Contra Mantra long before it was released, and told me flatly he didnt want to play on it. I had played drums a lot back in High school - Somewhere out there there is an old tape of me playing the drum solo to Tank by ELP, so I wasnt terrible by any means... I just lack the will to practice to get my chops back to that level. - So, I basically picked up a Roland SPD8 and kind of re-learned drums on that. Then I eventually picked up a full acoustic kit, then I hated micing it and couldnt get a good kick or snare sound in the studio so I went full Roland. Bruce if we get this whole thing working, I'll send you another song where I did play on acoustic drums - It doesn't sound too bad, but the drums are on 4 tracks - with Kick and snare on separate tracks each and Toms/cymbals in stereo. I have been holding on to that song since about 2008 - It's a lot more detailed than this one. over 26 minutes, Lots of keys/synths, vocals are being worked on now. I finally wrote some I can stand.

Anyway, weekend is coming... lots to do... Sorry for the book, but its all good information. Again, Thank you to all those who are contributing ideas, I would have never considered using MIDI drums, we'll see how this works out.

Your drumming has most certainly NOT been summarily dismissed! You're damn good - and only playing since 2004?! I LOVE what you've done to create and execute the drum parts themselves, it's just the sound that I personally am not thrilled with. When you've figured out the MIDI and gotten it up and working, that can be easily remedied. Bottom line: don't sell yourself short. You're good, imho, so you really should consider remaining on the drum throne.

In the meantime, I'd still like to get the original bass and drum tracks from you separately.

Ooooh... a 26-minute song?! I'm game...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    In the meantime, I'd still like to get the original bass and drum tracks from you separately.

Ooooh... a 26-minute song?! I'm game...
    Still on my list to do - its been a busy work week for me. I am really itching to get out to the studio again. It's supposed to be a cold, rainy weekend. That means the outside work will be minimal.

We still need to see if this will work out. I have a lot of material in a varying degrees of completion - If we can work this song out, there is more - I'll always have more - until I run out of ideas or desire to write. I need to see how the MIDI change works out. I may have 3+ hours of drum parts to redo using MIDI, rather than audio tracks. It's nice to have something to do. If I start to feel pushed, I may have to slow down. Music is a joy to me right now, It needs to remain that way.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 02-15-2018 at 11:07 PM.

^^^ Thanks for that - It doesnt seen to want to play, but I'm downloading
    That's strange, it should play directly from your web browser. Let me know in case you can't hear it and I can try to send you some other way.

I am a little bummed that my drumming has been summarily dismissed
    Your drumming is fine, I don't think you need another drummer to record those parts for you. The only issue I have is with the sounds from the roland module. The reason why they sound artificial is because Roland does not use real drum samples. Instead they decided to use physical modeling, which is basically trying to model the sound using mathematical functions. The advantage of doing that is that you can model different parameters into your function so that you can simulate different size, material, head tension, mic position, etc on each drum. On the other hand, if you use sampling, you're stuck with the original recording of that particular drum and cannot change any of those parameters (actually in some cases you can, but with limited results). But still, sampling sounds much more realistic because that's a real drum, being played by a really good drummer, in a top studio, with the best possible microphones, carefully positioned by the best recording engineers.

My questions is...are you really using all 21 pieces of the E-drums? The reason I say that is I don't know if there is actually a way to set up Superior Drummer (at least 2.0, I'm not familiar with 3.0) to take advantage of 21 different sounds (or at least not useful ones). I suspect there are some sounds in the Roland module for which there is no direct analog in Superior Drummer. In those cases you may want to use the sounds from the Roland module.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    My questions is...are you really using all 21 pieces of the E-drums? The reason I say that is I don't know if there is actually a way to set up Superior Drummer (at least 2.0, I'm not familiar with 3.0) to take advantage of 21 different sounds (or at least not useful ones). I suspect there are some sounds in the Roland module for which there is no direct analog in Superior Drummer. In those cases you may want to use the sounds from the Roland module.
    That has also crossed my mind. I don't know of any library in Superior Drummer that has 21 different sounds. What you can do is add what they call "X-Drums" which basically allows you to bring sounds from different libraries. Now, of course this will all depend on which libraries he has and also which kind of sounds he's looking for. For sure it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring 3 different 12 inch toms from different drum kits together. But one thing I did with mine was to add new toms buy uptuning existing ones. So I can take a 12 inch tom and turn it into a 10 inch by changing the tuning to a higher pitch. If the new pitch is not too far from the original one, it will still sound very natural.
    Last edited by pmrviana; 02-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I really do use all of them... Sometimes I need to go to a different kit as well. It's just a lack of creativity on my part, similar parts using different drums gives you a certain kind of variety... It's something the use to accuse Neil Peart of. "Why all the drums?" in his case the result is phenomenal - mine is just a pathetic attempt to make "better drumming through anarchy"

I have 7 toms on the kit. The TD11 has 3 different samples of the same type of drum (ie... maple hi, mid, low) I tune them, but most kits dont have 7 toms. I use 3 from TD11(higher toms) and 4 from the TD12(lower toms) - The pitches I have programmed are all over the place, and I'm not that adept at tuning drums. I just get them to a place that sounds "about right". I don't know how the software will handle that many notes, but we can always add samples to it right? - I am assuming an import function somewhere. When I look at the MIDI samplers I have on my PC, it looks like they can have up to 4 octaves (when displayed in the piano roll) of MIDI sounds, but not all have a sound associated with them, so I dont know if thats some "hard coded" issue or if its just they didnt think anyone would notice that most of the notes have no sound/patch associated with them. Could be a memory limitation, as you dont want to be reading drum hits off a disk or cached somewhere - it needs to be in memory. This may turn out to be a more difficult thing, but lets try it. Thanks again for everyones expertise and opinions- Anything to make things better! If this works, it will be a blast, and I have never been happy with my snare - I totally dig a Gavin Harrison sound and I've never been able to capture any thing like that. I know, I am no Gavin Harrison.

Sounds like you'd be able to use the method suggested by pmrviana to get the additional tom sounds in Superior Drummer. I never played around with that method. Importing a sample would be unlikely as I assume Toontrack has some sort of proprietary format for that. Their samples are pretty deep in terms of how many samples they captured to accurately reflect multiple levels of velocity.

Every sample you load into SD will use up a little more RAM, so there is that. But having additional (unused) MIDI notes available shouldn't be a problem. In the piano roll editor (or even the more drum-oriented format for the editor...can't remember the term) you should be able to map the notes coming from your drum module so they fall on whatever note you'd like them to fall in the editor. If there's a preset drum map for your Roland you'd probably want to start with that though, just to keep things from getting any more confusing than necessary. I think you'll want to tweak that drum map if you're trying to get everything from two Roland modules onto one track. But I should defer to the more experienced MIDI experts...
    <sig out of order>