Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Yelich, in his 2nd at bat today, hit #15 (1 man on) into the THIRD deck in right field.

Analytics: 440 feet (announcers thought it was longer) w/exit velocity of 112mph.

I guess he's back!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Damn.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Damn.
    Have you seen the bombs Gary Sanchez has been launching? He's on a tear and has 11 in 73 ABs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Today, Texas Ranger, Joey Gallo, became the first player in MLB history to get his 100th home run before he got his 100th single.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Watching the game on ESPN while listening a ten-second delay online. Anything's better than listening to that terrible team on ESPN. I had them on for like five minutes and that was all I could take.

Yelich today: 4 for 5 w/dinger #16.

Is he human?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Today, Texas Ranger, Joey Gallo, became the first player in MLB history to get his 100th home run before he got his 100th single.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Welcome to the MLB version of slow pitch softball. Each team always has that big guy who can knock it out but nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Welcome to the MLB version of slow pitch softball. Each team always has that big guy who can knock it out but nothing else
    ...which some might say is the definition of the DH...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I recall an SI cover from the mid -70s..."It's Either A Clout Or An Out"

(Referring to Kingman and one other player, maybe Schmidt, though that doesn't really fit.)

The eons are closing
    Probably George Foster then....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Early battle for the AL East this weekend begins tonight in Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Probably George Foster then....
    Most certainly not. George had a lifetime batting average of .274
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The eons are closing
    It was Schmidt.
    https://www.si.com/vault/1976/05/03/...lout-or-an-out

There was another article around that time speaking about Foster and Kong's time as teammates before being traded to Reds and Mets respectively. Will try to find it.

Edit: And my recollection at the time was that guys like George, Schmidt et al were striking out *more" than prior generation power hitters. As an absolute number, probably not that huge especially in todays environment.

^ That is a bit odd, in retrospect. I consider Kingman to have been a one dimensional power hitter. Better at it than Russell Branyan, but very limited. I consider Schmidt to be the best 3rd baseman of all time, or at least of my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I consider Schmidt to be the best 3rd baseman of all time, or at least of my lifetime.
    You never saw Brooks play.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The eons are closing
    ^ That is a bit odd, in retrospect. I consider Kingman to have been a one dimensional power hitter. Better at it than Russell Branyan, but very limited. I consider Schmidt to be the best 3rd baseman of all time, or at least of my lifetime.
    Certainly concur on the 1-D nature of Kong anf Btanyan et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You never saw Brooks play.
    Yes I did. I didn't say "best defensive 3rd baseman," I said "best." Overall . Brooks wasn't close to the hitter Mike Schmidt was, and Schmidt was outstanding defensively.

Yes I did. I didn't say "best defensive 3rd baseman," I said "best." Overall . Brooks wasn't close to the hitter Mike Schmidt was, and Schmidt was outstanding defensively.
    Brooks' defensive stats greatly overshadow Schmidt's. The only offensive stat that really counts is Schmidt had almost 300 more home runs and was on base almost fifty times more during their careers. RBI's don't count because they aren't your offensive stats, they are based on how many people just happened to be on base when you batted. Their averages were identical.

^^ If Robinson was an average fielder, he would not have made it into the HOF. I Schmidt was an average fielder, he still would have made it into the HOF.

^^ If Robinson was an average fielder, he would not have made it into the HOF. I Schmidt was an average fielder, he still would have made it into the HOF.
    And if John Holmes didn't have a 12" penis we wouldn't even know who he was.

That may be the worst use of an analogy ever, Ed, and Ron is right about that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    That may be the worst use of an analogy ever, Ed, and Ron is right about that comparison.
    If Schmidt was just an average fielder with 568 home runs and a .267 average he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF either.

Game time is 1PM and it's been and still is pouring buckets of rain and the greedy Orioles still haven't postponed the game. It's 100% chance of rain today.

Schmidt compares much more favorably to Robinson defensively than Brooks does to Schmidt offensively. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If Schmidt was just an average fielder with 568 home runs and a .267 average he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF either.
    You never cease to prove your ignorance when talking about sports.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally