Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW Ozric Tentacles

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yep pretty sure that's old info. They did split up and Ed moved back to the UK, now living in Scotland so I'm not sure who's part of the band anymore. Will have to wait and see. I think his last solo album was probably meant to be an Ozric album but the name was in dispute with the divorce stuff. Presumably now that's all been worked out.
    So they did split up? If so I assume she did not relocate with him, which means anything going forward will be done via virtual collaborations. I know Silas is their kid, so he could be in either place. But the drummer was based in the states as I recall.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Wiki and other sources list her as still in the band, but I just checked Discogs and they have her name crossed out. The only remaining members as of the latest single release of "Humboldt Currant" according to Discogs are Ed Wynne, Balázs Szende and Silas Wynne.

Ed and Brandi definitely split up. Ed has a new gf. Also, don't think Silas is Brandi's kid.

I love most of everything from Pungent Effulgent through Hidden Step. Also, Tantric Obstacles from the 80s cassette era is pretty strong and a standout to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    So they did split up? If so I assume she did not relocate with him, which means anything going forward will be done via virtual collaborations. I know Silas is their kid, so he could be in either place. But the drummer was based in the states as I recall.
    No Brandi is not Silas' mom. Too young for that.

If you can't get enough check out the Ozric Family (ex and current members) bands like:

Nodens Ictus, Dream Machine, Silas Neptune, ZubZub, Eat Static (and some I forgot about)

I like the classics, like most people...Erpland especially. However, I also really like the newer release The Floor is too Far Away. Great stuff.

neil

I believe that currently in the band is Ed and Ed and more Ed... And probably Silas on some bleeps...

Their last output since their relocation was pretty underwhelming. Being among the ones that followed them since their early cassette days, I have no high hopes for their new album. The spark of the old festival days (integral part of their sound) is long, long dead and buried...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I believe that currently in the band is Ed and Ed and more Ed... And probably Silas on some bleeps...

Their last output since their relocation was pretty underwhelming. Being among the ones that followed them since their early cassette days, I have no high hopes for their new album. The spark of the old festival days (integral part of their sound) is long, long dead and buried...
    But, did you watch and listen to the "Humboldt Currant" video in post #48 above? If that's the new Ed, Ed and more Ed - it sounds pretty promising to me. Somewhat like an electronic, spacey jungle thing (that piques my interest).

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    But, did you watch and listen to the "Humboldt Currant" video in post #48 above? If that's the new Ed, Ed and more Ed - it sounds pretty promising to me. Somewhat like an electronic, spacey jungle thing (that piques my interest).
    I can perfectly understand your point of view and it is a pleasant piece, that stylistically could have its place in an album like Become the Other f.e. However, it leaves me cold without the scene/commumity concept behind the whole thing. Because, stylistically they overplayed it all these years. It is like AC-DC or Motorhead; you know exactly what to expect and they don't surprise at all. Their problem is that it is progressive/spacerock what they're after and not a three riff headbanging affair. They should have called it quits during the mid 00s in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I can perfectly understand your point of view and it is a pleasant piece, that stylistically could have its place in an album like Become the Other f.e. However, it leaves me cold without the scene/commumity concept behind the whole thing. Because, stylistically they overplayed it all these years. It is like AC-DC or Motorhead; you know exactly what to expect and they don't surprise at all. Their problem is that it is progressive/spacerock what they're after and not a three riff headbanging affair. They should have called it quits during the mid 00s in my opinion.
    Ridiculous. I completely disagree. The last few albums have been excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozricale View Post
    Ridiculous. I completely disagree. The last few albums have been excellent.
    To paraphrase Dr. Strangelove...

Disagreements? Gentlemen, don't you know this is a prog forum?!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I remember a blurb in Ken Golden's catalog back in the mid or late 90s, which to paraphrase, said something like the Ozrics keep making the same album over and over again. He was right, and I think Spyros was making the same point.

I'm sorry you feel that way about their later music. Technicians of the Sacred was actually my gateway into the Ozrics' music, and I love that one. The incorporation of world music elements, and sometimes even bits that come close to jazz fusion, is something that I enjoy.

Since then, I've gone back and collected Erpland, The Floor's Too Far Away, and some others from different time periods. There's not a whole lot of diversity to their sound and I can understand why that might get old for certain folks, but for some people (myself included) that's okay. When I pick up an Ozric Tentacles album, I generally know what I'm going to get -- and that's why I go for it.

Spirals in Hyperspace might be my overall favorite though. Still need to check out Waterfall Cities, after seeing battema's recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I remember a blurb in Ken Golden's catalog back in the mid or late 90s, which to paraphrase, said something like the Ozrics keep making the same album over and over again. He was right, and I think Spyros was making the same point.
    He may have been quoting Steven Wilson, who said that in his Progression interview back then. Rather, his wording was "[the Ozrics] have one composition."

Which I thought was really harsh.

Ed has a newer solo release that's very good.
    And Silas is now working with a woman under the name Silas & Saski. They did a Facebook Live over the weekend that I enjoyed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He may have been quoting Steven Wilson, who said that in his Progression interview back then. Rather, his wording was "[the Ozrics] have one composition."

Which I thought was really harsh.
    I'm with the pro-Ozric group on this one, in that I don't think that they make or compose the same (or one) music over and over again. The difference between 1989's "Pungent Effulgent" and 1997's "Curious Corn" is heard in a marked change in texture, more smooth and flowing and less raw. New players were added who had completely different approaches in their playing, including Zia Geelani (Bass), Rad (Conrad Prince) on drums and Seaweed on synth. The cut "Afroclonk" on Curious Corn is considered one of their best songs ever, it's hard to argue with that assessment. From what I can discern, their works over the past decade have found them in much more of an electronic groove which, from what I have been able to hear and read in reviews, is a real positive in the evolution of their sound.

I think that listeners who aren't that attuned to their music tend to think that it all sounds like a rehash of what they did before. However, if you fall for their stuff at first listen like I did, you can hear something new in every release and marvel at their ability to pull it off over such an extended time frame.

I think that listeners who aren't that attuned to their music tend to think that it all sounds like a rehash of what they did before. However, if you fall for their stuff at first listen like I did, you can hear something new in every release and marvel at their ability to pull it off over such an extended time frame.
    Affirmative. Just pop in one of the live albums, like Underslunky or Sunrise Festival, and you can hear the difference between live and studio. So much energy.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That's not the way I remember it. I recall it as Ken giving his own opinion, but he's on PE and if he feels like chiming in, he can.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    There's not a whole lot of diversity to their sound and I can understand why that might get old for certain folks, but for some people (myself included) that's okay. When I pick up an Ozric Tentacles album, I generally know what I'm going to get -- and that's why I go for it.
    Let's say that for 5-6 albums this approach is acceptable. But for over 20 (including the cassettes) and going on for 36 years, it's too much demanding my interest...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Spirals in Hyperspace might be my overall favorite though. Still need to check out Waterfall Cities, after seeing battema's recommendation.
    I acknowledge that it was a surprisingly good album and slightly different from what we used to get on the annual diet from them. By being more nervous and embracing the harsher part of EDM (that was predominant in its time), it offered something fresh. But the band is off on that album and I personally consider it rather as an Ed Wynne solo affair than a proper Ozric's album (only "Oakum" was a whole band thing, if I remember well). That album has been my personal exit point, because I sensed the end of all things Ozricy there and to my ears what followed was more a shadow of the past than a step forward. Pleasantly wallpaper-ish to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Let's say that for 5-6 albums this approach is acceptable. But for over 20 (including the cassettes) and going on for 36 years, it's too much demanding my interest...
    Well I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not going to twist your arm and make you listen to them.

I'm with the pro-Ozric group on this one, in that I don't think that they make or compose the same (or one) music over and over again. The difference between 1989's "Pungent Effulgent" and 1997's "Curious Corn" is heard in a marked change in texture, more smooth and flowing and less raw. New players were added who had completely different approaches in their playing, including Zia Geelani (Bass), Rad (Conrad Prince) on drums and Seaweed on synth. The cut "Afroclonk" on Curious Corn is considered one of their best songs ever, it's hard to argue with that assessment. From what I can discern, their works over the past decade have found them in much more of an electronic groove which, from what I have been able to hear and read in reviews, is a real positive in the evolution of their sound.

Well said. Their sound has evolved, but it requires active listening to discern. Ed'd recent solo album is very similar to OT but incorporates some subtle colors and textures that are new too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozricale View Post
    Well said. Their sound has evolved, but it requires active listening to discern. Ed'd recent solo album is very similar to OT but incorporates some subtle colors and textures that are new too.
    I will need to pick up Ed's solo release; thanks for the reference point

New album "Space for the Earth" out today.

https://kscopemusic.com/artists/ozrictentacles/

"Written, programmed, recorded and produced throughout 2019/20 by Ed Wynne in ‘Blue Bubble Studios’ by the sea, this exploratory and diverse musical adventure comprises seven new tracks spanning 45 minutes. Inspired by the Scottish hills, valleys and beaches surrounding his studio, Wynne feels that lockdown in a strange kind of way has provided space for the Earth to breathe for a while and for people to rediscover its resonant healing frequency. ‘This is space music for people from the Earth to enjoy’.

Ozrics’ synth player Silas Neptune and drummer Balázs Szende join forces again with Wynne on the album which also features special guest appearances from former members synth player Joie Hinton, drummer Nick Van Gelder, flautist Champignon and percussionist Paul Hankin. Psychedelic voyager Gracerooms also contributes additional synth layers.

The album ebbs and flows through blissed-out soundscapes featuring incendiary guitar solos, space grooves and ambient atmospheres. Wynne plays his recently revived Ibanez Jem, a new 8-string guitar, all kinds of synths and bass. Van Gelder uses the original snare he played on the first six cassette albums and early live Ozric performances. One tune features Champignon playing kaval, a traditional wooden Balkan flute.

The album artwork was inspired directly by these seven tracks and realised by arboreal artist Kitty (Twisty-Trees) with help from Ed and cosmic artist Ivy.

To celebrate this year’s summer solstice Ozric Tentacles released a new single, taken from Space For The Earth, entitled “Humboldt Currant”, the track Ed Wynne states “‘It’s a light-hearted message about feeling all right. It's not trying to dig down into the depths of what is going wrong in the world but giving people a little bit of relief from everyday life, a stepping-stone into the astral plane’.

One of the most influential bands to emerge from the UK’s festival scene, Ozric Tentacles formed during the solstice at Stonehenge Free Festival 1983 going on to become psychedelic staples at Glastonbury and other festivals. The creative vision of multi-instrumentalist Ed Wynne, the Ozrics’ uniquely trippy soundscapes connect fans of progressive rock, psychedelia and dance music culture. Space for the Earth represents the next harmonic step in the unfolding Ozric journey.

Space For The Earth will be released on CD, LP (black and coloured vinyl available) and digitally and is Out Now"

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    New album "Space for the Earth" out today.

https://kscopemusic.com/artists/ozrictentacles/

"Written, programmed, recorded and produced throughout 2019/20 by Ed Wynne in ‘Blue Bubble Studios’ by the sea, this exploratory and diverse musical adventure comprises seven new tracks spanning 45 minutes. Inspired by the Scottish hills, valleys and beaches surrounding his studio, Wynne feels that lockdown in a strange kind of way has provided space for the Earth to breathe for a while and for people to rediscover its resonant healing frequency. ‘This is space music for people from the Earth to enjoy’.

Ozrics’ synth player Silas Neptune and drummer Balázs Szende join forces again with Wynne on the album which also features special guest appearances from former members synth player Joie Hinton, drummer Nick Van Gelder, flautist Champignon and percussionist Paul Hankin. Psychedelic voyager Gracerooms also contributes additional synth layers.

The album ebbs and flows through blissed-out soundscapes featuring incendiary guitar solos, space grooves and ambient atmospheres. Wynne plays his recently revived Ibanez Jem, a new 8-string guitar, all kinds of synths and bass. Van Gelder uses the original snare he played on the first six cassette albums and early live Ozric performances. One tune features Champignon playing kaval, a traditional wooden Balkan flute.

The album artwork was inspired directly by these seven tracks and realised by arboreal artist Kitty (Twisty-Trees) with help from Ed and cosmic artist Ivy.

To celebrate this year’s summer solstice Ozric Tentacles released a new single, taken from Space For The Earth, entitled “Humboldt Currant”, the track Ed Wynne states “‘It’s a light-hearted message about feeling all right. It's not trying to dig down into the depths of what is going wrong in the world but giving people a little bit of relief from everyday life, a stepping-stone into the astral plane’.

One of the most influential bands to emerge from the UK’s festival scene, Ozric Tentacles formed during the solstice at Stonehenge Free Festival 1983 going on to become psychedelic staples at Glastonbury and other festivals. The creative vision of multi-instrumentalist Ed Wynne, the Ozrics’ uniquely trippy soundscapes connect fans of progressive rock, psychedelia and dance music culture. Space for the Earth represents the next harmonic step in the unfolding Ozric journey.

Space For The Earth will be released on CD, LP (black and coloured vinyl available) and digitally and is Out Now"
    Sounds interesting!

(I don’t think I have ever read a PR about an album that actually mentions the snare drum of the drummer! But I like that...)

Banned
    Yes, based on the “Humboldt Currant” track released earlier and the overall descriptions from this review, this is a must to get.