18. WELTRAUMSTAUNEN Weltraumstaunen
    19. SURFACE OF ECEYON Dragyyn
    20. LAMAGAIA Lamagaius
    21. SILVESTER ANFANG Kosmies slachtafval
    22. OHR MUSIK Friction burns
    23. ROBEDOOR Shrine to the possessor
    24. MOON DUO Mazes
    25. SUN DIAL Mind control

So here is the deal - I asked my pal Spyros if he would be willing to shoot me about 20 or so of his favorite krautrock and spacerock titles, both spanning the usual classics to the fairly obscure (including possibly vinyl only), and everything in between. He did just that and more, and came back with a much larger and comprehensive list for which I am extremely grateful (thanks again man ). He said it would be fine to share with the list as well, so here 'ya go. I know we go crazy with lists sometimes, but personally this is educational for me.

Well, I'll be seeing him in an hour from now and I'm going to complain for leaving Scorpions' Lonesome Crow out of the list!

this guy is an example of generosity. His knowledge is also terrifyingly vast. And deep.

Very cool list
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Well, I'll be seeing him in an hour from now and I'm going to complain for leaving Scorpions' Lonesome Crow out of the list!
    I seem to recall seeing Scorpions on one of his lists - maybe on Yves Top 5 Krautrock thread?

this guy is an example of generosity. His knowledge is also terrifyingly vast. And deep.
    Agreed 100%. Spyros is the man

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    10. DZYAN Electric silence
    Wow - I can't get over how good this album is. The mallets vibe here is just spectacular.

^^ the answer was "oh shit, I forgot about" and then some great story about acquiring the album without knowing what it was, in the mid 70's, hoping that it would sound like Led Zep, and his disappointment that it didn't.

Yoy guys make me blush
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's the Nurse with Wound of Krautrock! It looks very good. One I would add (just for anyone interested) is Amon Duul's "Paradieswärts Düül." Great album!

Excellent list, as expected from Spyros, but isn't FG Experimental Laboratory a late 1970s project? I used to have this album and wouldn't really group it with neokraut bands – it's very much a product of the same era as, say, the classic records by Klaus Schulze, Gunter Schickert or Tangerine Dream (although unlike those mentioned, Fredy Guye was from Switzerland as far as I recall).

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Excellent list, as expected from Spyros, but isn't FG Experimental Laboratory a late 1970s project? I used to have this album and wouldn't really group it with neokraut bands – it's very much a product of the same era as, say, the classic records by Klaus Schulze, Gunter Schickert or Tangerine Dream (although unlike those mentioned, Fredy Guye was from Switzerland as far as I recall).
    Right but I needed somewhere to fit it Lev, and as it is from 1980... Could easily be in the Kraut rock obscurities... It is Swiss of course, but more krautrock than many krauts.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    BTW, I think it's kind of interesting that Spyros' list isn't that far away from Julian Cope's list of the top 50 Krautrock albums in Krautrocksampler, but some people were really upset by that list. It was too mainstream Krautrock for some people or something. But I think both lists are fine. Personally my Krautrock listening has usually veered more toward the less "obvious" at times, which has more to do with my own taste than anything else. For example, I've listened to very little Can, Faust, or Neu! But I see that as something I need to rectify. And this list certainly gets to a lot of the stuff I like.

For the record, I love the book Krautrocksampler and it's one of the few books I've read many times. Even though I haven't listened to some of the albums he covers much, I still love reading his descriptions and reminiscences. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in Krautrock. It's hard to find, but I know I found a PDF of the whole thing online once so if you Google Krautrocksampler.PDF you might find it. Actually, looks like it was yanked, but I can probably find it and send it to anyone interested.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-30-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak
    Right but I needed somewhere to fit it Lev, and as it is from 1980... Could easily be in the Kraut rock obscurities... It is Swiss of course, but more krautrock than many krauts.
    Yeah, I'd personally add it to the Krautrock obscurities, but it's nothing but picking nits of course. I completely agree with your assessment of the album, and the list in general is excellent and should be very helpful for newcomers. One thing I'd stress is that while the majority of the "classics" that you list are indeed of the typically German unabashedly psychedelic experimental rock variety, there are a few more conventional albums within, which are also very good, but perhaps don't really bear that elusive "krautrock" stamp – I'm referring to Frumpy 2, Lucifer's Friend and Eloy in particular. That breed of more cosmopolitan German prog rock could be seen deserving of its own list, while things like Sergius Golowin's LP, A.R. & Machines' Die Grune Reise or Et Cetera would replace them in the "main" 25. Again, not undermining the work you've done, my friend, just some random thoughts from someone who is off from work today and thus has way too much free time on his hands.
    Last edited by Levgan; 08-31-2017 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, I think it's kind of interesting that Spyros' list isn't that far away from Julian Cope's list of the top 50 Krautrock albums in Krautrocksampler, but some people were really upset by that list.
    Well, Cope is here:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/groonr...r-julian-cope/

Cope's list ain't bad but rather focused on commonly agreed classics (and several albums per featured artist). No Embryo (criminal omission), Frumpy, Agitation Free, Mythos, Grobschnitt, Deuter, Brainticket, Out of Focus, Lucifer's Friend, Eloy, Annexus Quam on his classics and there are 50 vs 25 in my selection. I think I differed considerably in my approach (1st by deciding to include only one album per artist in order to be rather artist-focused that album-centered and to include more facets of the cultural phenomenon than the electronic/freaked out one)... For the record, I'm not an admirer of his book there's an abundance of fanboy drooling there and a narrow vision of what is "different rock" from Germany. Neither of Dag Erik Asbjornsen's encyclopedia, for his limited knowledge of the scene. I tend rather to be closer to the Freemans wider approach of the genre; if temprted to go near top100 as they did, I should have included several Neue Deutsche Welle borderline albums within...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Wow, I checked my Gnosis ratings and I have 150 German albums rating 10 or higher and 230 above 9

All of Spyros' albums in the first two should be in the first list and about 9/10 in the second list

However, outside Electric Orange and RMI (and I'm not sure we're talking about the same albums here), I don't know any of the rest of the list. I guess I got some catching up to do.

(well, is NWW really a German band?)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

An omission - deliberate or not - could be Silberbart's 4 Times, a record I picked up from Spyros' suggestions. A freak-out, proto-metal classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    One thing I'd stress is that while the majority of the "classics" that you list are indeed of the typically German unabashedly psychedelic experimental rock variety, there are a few more conventional albums within, which are also very good, but perhaps don't really bear that elusive "krautrock" stamp – I'm referring to Frumpy 2, Lucifer's Friend and Eloy in particular. That breed of more cosmopolitan German prog rock could be seen deserving of its own list, while things like Sergius Golowin's LP, A.R. & Machines' Die Grune Reise or Et Cetera would replace them in the "main" 25. Again, not undermining the work you've done, my friend, just some random thoughts from someone who is off from work today and thus has way too much free time on his hands.
    Well my friend, I underwent this problematic myself before compiling the list, but I think my response to JKL provides also an answer to your statement (I wrote it before reading your contribution as I'm at work through my mobile -which ain't my preferable tech tool for browsing PE). I 've always followed the wider approach of krautrock, as in my opinion the german idiosyncrasies were to my ears more striking than what the resemblances to the anglo/american (and cosmopolitan as you aptly noted) rock sound implied.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

An omission - deliberate or not - could be Silberbart's 4 Times, a record I picked up from Spyros' suggestions. A freak-out, proto-metal classic.
    Well... I limited to 25 my friend...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (well, is NWW really a German band?)
    Modern krautrock by 90% ain't german but an imitation of style... that's why you have less teutonic bands. Usually foreign acts sounded more convincing than the germans (as french HIGH WOLF or american MASTER MUSICIANS OF BUKKAKE f.e.)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    No Future Days here, or I am just not seeing it?

Digging Neu '75 for (perhaps?) the first time. Loving it so far, especially the second track "Seeland". Such an atmospheric tune, really lovely. The sound of this record is really quite different compared to the s/t.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Modern krautrock by 90% ain't german but an imitation of style... that's why you have less teutonic bands. Usually foreign acts sounded more convincing than the germans (as french HIGH WOLF or american MASTER MUSICIANS OF BUKKAKE f.e.)
    OK, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    No Future Days here, or I am just not seeing it?
    Probably replaced by Tago or Ege...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Probably replaced by Tago or Ege...
    Its just an odd omission imo, especially that he includes virtually every other album in that classic period.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak
    I think my response to JKL provides also an answer to your statement
    It does! Just to clarify, I did not mean that Eloy or Lucifer's Friend are somehow not eligible to be called krautrock... Quite the contrary, I'm all for the liberal approach to the genre boundaries, and like you, tend to enjoy both the more Teutonic and the more cosmopolitan examples of German rock music. What I suggested was merely dividing the former and the latter between two different lists. But again, it's definitely not an attack on your list, just a thought that crossed my mind.

I tend rather to be closer to the Freemans wider approach of the genre; if temprted to go near top100 as they did, I should have included several Neue Deutsche Welle borderline albums within...
    Agreed that Freemans are better authorities than Asbjornsen or Cope, but IMO they tend to lose it precisely when it comes to NDW...

13. WITTHUSER + WESTRUPP Trips & traume

Never heard this album before. What a nice, pleasant mix of laid-back folkie slightly spaced-out acid German folk. Quite unique. Thumb up
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson