Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: PFM - L'isola di Niente

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did Inside/Out ever release something new from PFM?
    Their 2017 album Emotional Tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Their 2017 album Emotional Tattoos.
    Love this album, it comes with the English and Italian versions on separate CDs. Just like L'isola di Niente and The world became the world earlier.

These guys are something special and pride of Italy. Top class musicians.

It's cool, but I don't think it's live. The bass is playing furiously at the beginning even while he's adjusting his headphones. That is a hell of a technique if it's live!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    It's cool, but I don't think it's live. The bass is playing furiously at the beginning even while he's adjusting his headphones. That is a hell of a technique if it's live!
    The violin solo in the middle is absolutely live...

Man this is the album of the week for me! Loving it! Sono innamorato!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The violin solo in the middle is absolutely live...
    I'm not an expert, but it looks live to me. Mauro Pagani is an amazing violinist. He left the band a long time ago, regrettably. Lucio Fabbri is very good indeed. Pagani guested with the band at their performance in Siena at Piazza del Campo from 2003. The DVD features a fun violin duel between Pagani and Fabbri.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Amico and Storia are brothers. L'isola is their sister. Still brilliant!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Man this is the album of the week for me! Loving it! Sono innamorato!!
    Glad it's grown on you so much. I never get tired of hearing "La Luna Nuova", such a beautiful piece.

I'm gonna dust off my CD and listen to it in the car today I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Love this album, it comes with the English and Italian versions on separate CDs. Just like L'isola di Niente and The world became the world earlier.

These guys are something special and pride of Italy. Top class musicians.
    I really liked Emotional Tattoos also.

I really liked Emotional Tattoos also.
    I cannot read that title without thinking of the Rolling Stones.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    As their fourth album, "L'isola di Niente" represents a further development of the music of Premiata Forneria Marconi. Although very melodic sympho-rock can still be heard, there are already more passages that are not immediately obvious, thus this album undoubtedly provides more variety in the music of PFM than "Per un Amico".
    For me, the highlight of the album is the title-track. L'isola di Niente the song begins with a choral intro that reminds me of a little of Carl Orff. Actually, it's a catchy sympho-rock piece which contains all the ingredients of a classic of the genre. For instance, its passages that dashing forward next to beautiful floating melodies. Or those almost spherical sections and then again many bars filled with extravagant rhythms. Overall, it's a song that convince you from the first to the last bar. Other songs on the album are also worthwhile, so that nothing stands in the way of an ultimate listening experience. You get presented harmonies up to jazzy outbursts and even in that breadth, the PFM music can convince and captivate. The whole variety of the predominantly melodic variant of this musical genre can be heard on the album. This time, however, it's not only melodiousness that you get to hear on this album, but also demanding sounds; this is certainly a good thing for the variety. English version really sounds a bit tormented, not as beautifully haunting and weightless as Italian, but otherwise, "L'isola di Niente" is definitely a masterpiece album.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    reminds me of a little of Carl Orff. Actually, it's a catchy sympho-rock piece which contains all the ingredients of a classic of the genre [...]. You get presented harmonies up to jazzy outbursts [...] The whole variety of the predominantly melodic variant of this musical genre can be heard on the album. This time, however, it's not only melodiousness that you get to hear on this album
    It's total Orff'ian sympho-lympho reminding of a cross between Postman Pat and Dick Van Dyke, although harmonics have absolutely nothing to do with neither Dyke nor Orff but merely surely Postman Pat and love his very flat hat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    As their fourth album, "L'isola di Niente" represents a further development of the music of Premiata Forneria Marconi.
    err... ummm
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's total Orff'ian sympho-lympho reminding of a cross between Postman Pat and Dick Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I cannot read that title without thinking of the Rolling Stones.
    Me neither.

Glad it's grown on you so much. I never get tired of hearing "La Luna Nuova", such a beautiful piece.

I'm gonna dust off my CD and listen to it in the car today I think.
    This album definitely won me over. I love how some music can take years to 'click' or not at all. We (humans) are strange indeed
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

This album definitely won me over. I love how some music can take years to 'click' or not at all. We (humans) are strange indeed
    Yes, very strange for sure.

Those first three PFM discs are all wonderful, IMO. I'll never forget the first time I heard L'isola. In summer 2007 I was headed to Florida with my dad and a friend of ours, and I rode in the backseat with my iPod and headphones. I had just gotten L'isola Di Niente and listened to the whole thing on the way down.

Coincidentally, that was also the first time I ever heard Thick as a Brick, and I fell instantly in love with it. For about a solid week after that I listened to it every day in my car, multiple times.

So the next step is Choco Kings. Come on man, it's a great album, if one doesn't compare with its predecessors. Harlequin, Paper Charms, these are really moving tunes, unique tunes in evoking sentiments, "rusty pages, forgotten lines".

For me, this was a pretty small step below the first 2 releases. And I am of the opinion that their first 2 are among the best prog recordings, period.

If their first 2 releases were not better than this brilliant album, they would still be considered one of the best prog bands.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So the next step is Choco Kings. Come on man, it's a great album, if one doesn't compare with its predecessors. Harlequin, Paper Charms, these are really moving tunes, unique tunes in evoking sentiments, "rusty pages, forgotten lines".
    OK I'll dive in again. I didn't not like it (what?), just missing the classic PFM sound I love. But it's on for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    For me, this was a pretty small step below the first 2 releases. And I am of the opinion that their first 2 are among the best prog recordings, period.

If their first 2 releases were not better than this brilliant album, they would still be considered one of the best prog bands.
    Same here