Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jellyfish- Inside Split Milk! New analysis with RJM!

Jellyfish- Inside Split Milk! New analysis with RJM!

Someone sat Roger down in the studio and went over Bellybutton, track by track-

Wow, I'll have to give this a watch/listen. Thanks for sharing!

I actually had Bellybutton playing in my car this morning on the way to work.

Here's sort of a part 2 to this interview-

ahh thanks.

also for those who never caught it, Roger (along with Mike Portnoy) was on with The Prog Report recently.

Thanks for posting this. Love Jellyfish.

Glad to!

Everyone said, "you should do Split Milk next!" So they DID!

Bump! Come on! This is great^^^

it is...I still think the dude interviewing him sounds like a Clone of Steven Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Everyone said, "you should do Split Milk next!" So they DID!

Sebrina, Paste and Plato is my favorite song on the album; it's a perfect, concise Brian Wilson pastiche.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Heads up! There's a new band featuring 3/4ths of the Spilt Milk lineup now called The Lickerish Quartet!

Check out their FB page and give them a LIKE- https://www.facebook.com/thelickerishquartet/

New music coming soon...

will check it out, although without Andy...I guess I don't expect something as amazing as Spilt Milk.

If you've never heard Roger's solo album Catnip Dynamite you might be surprised. Check it out on YouTube. It hangs well with the two Jellyfish albums so I expect similar greatness from this new group. They have the songwriting skills to pick up where JF left off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    If you've never heard Roger's solo album Catnip Dynamite you might be surprised. Check it out on YouTube. It hangs well with the two Jellyfish albums so I expect similar greatness from this new group. They have the songwriting skills to pick up where JF left off.
    Yes! Catnip Dynamite is really good, so I'm excited about the possibilities here. Thanks for sharing!

Meanwhile, here's some Andy for yas…

This is good too....

𝓙𝓮𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓯𝓲𝓼𝓱 ~ 𝓢𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓽 𝓜𝓲𝓵𝓴

ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪♫♪ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪ ♫♪
    °º¤ø,¸¸, ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪ƸӜƷ♫♪ღº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪
    °º¤ø,¸¸,𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝑷𝒐𝒑 𝑴𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒑𝒊𝒆𝒄𝒆°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
    ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪♫♪ღ°º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪ ♫♪

𝓙𝓮𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓯𝓲𝓼𝓱 ~ 𝓢𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓽 𝓜𝓲𝓵𝓴 is the second and last studio album by American rock band Jellyfish, released on February 9, 1993 by Charisma Records. It features a harsher and more ornate sound than their previous, Bellybutton (1990). As with Bellybutton, Spilt Milk was written and co-produced by founding members Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning. Albhy Galuten and Jack Joseph Puig also returned as producers.

Named for the hard work and turmoil surrounding its making, Spilt Milk was recorded after the departure of bassist Chris Manning (who was replaced by Tim Smith) and lead guitarist Jason Falkner. Guitar duties were instead handled by session musicians Jon Brion and Lyle Workman. Production lasted several months due to the record's complicated orchestrations, and ultimately ran over-budget.

The album was supported with a yearlong tour that introduced guitarist Eric Dover into the band's line-up. Spilt Milk performed below commercial expectations, peaking at number 164 on the Billboard 200 and number 21 on the UK Albums Chart. Singles "The Ghost at Number One" and "New Mistake" charted at numbers 43 and 55 in the UK, respectively. An expanded deluxe edition of the album was released by Omnivore Recordings in 2015

The songs were written in Los Angeles between October 1991 and March 1992. Manning would go over to Sturmer's home to work on the album for eight hours a day, six days a week. Production lasted from April to September 1992; recording sessions used massed choirs, strings, brass, flutes, wind chimes, harpsichords and other instruments. The album was produced by the same producers as their debut, Albhy Galuten (of Bee Gees fame) and Jack Joseph Puig alongside Manning and Sturmer themselves.[2] Also featured on the album were guitarists T Bone Burnett, Lyle Workman, and Jon Brion (who soon formed the Grays with Falkner). Friend Andy Zax wrote of an anecdote in which he met Manning for a late-night meal at a delicatessen, only for Manning to excuse himself "back to the studio because everyone was still there working. It was 3AM."[4] Sturmer remembered: "Once I literally passed out doing a vocal and woke up in the next room. Making this record was like that Army commercial: 'The toughest job you'll ever love.'"

In reference to the band's influences on Spilt Milk, Sturmer denied that they were "over-the-top, like we have somehow created A Night At The Opera Part 2 or something, or Pet Sounds." Referencing comparisons to the Beach Boys on "The Ghost at Number One", Manning stated: "The Beach Boys would never have done it that way, with really hard verses surrounding it and a banjo at the end of the song. We really take pride in exploring the arrangements. Our strength is in incorporating a lot of different things and twisting them in a way that they haven't been twisted before. Music critic Jon Pareles offered that the band distinguished itself from their influences by adding "a fondness for excess: more sudden shifts, pushier drums and guitars, more bursts of vocal harmony. ... The idea is to cram the music with ideas, turning each song into a Rube Goldberg contraption of pop, daring to incorporate the information overload that pop used to hold at bay."

[W]e had lots of hassles trying to put the record together. We thought it sounded good, but it also took too long and cost too much. But we couldn't cry over spilt milk -- hence the title.
    —Andy Sturmer, 1993
    The title was chosen in reference to the record going over-budget and behind schedule and the group turmoil that followed Bellybutton. The cover was designed by Charisma's staff creative director Mick Haggerty, known for also designing the cover of Supertramp's Breakfast in America and Hall and Oates' H2O. He later commented in an interview: "I can’t remember where the little girl came in, but I do remember the casting call from hell. It’s very uncomfortable to put out a call requesting lots of young girls in ballet tights and tiaras, knowing full well you’re going to chose the saddest and most pathetic one you can find. ... I shot the studio interior first, then the little girl. We tried everything to make her cry, but in the end, used glycerin for her tears, although I know mine were real. The hand pulling back the curtain was to hint at the 'Greatest Show On Earth meets Sgt. Pepper' mood that prevailed in the studio."

References:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spilt_...llyfish_album)

Youtube ~ 𝓙𝓮𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓯𝓲𝓼𝓱 ~ 𝓢𝓹𝓲𝓵𝓽 𝓜𝓲𝓵𝓴
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jj2B6wQZcVkHbI
    Last edited by tommy_n_chucky; 03-11-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: reformatted for easier reading

Here's your future-

Behold new greatness!

New interview with RJM Jr here- https://www.popmatters.com/lickerish...w#rebelltitem2

Wow! Thanks for posting this, Sean. I don't know how I missed these guys. This stuff is right up my alley. Love this record!

The rest of the 3 song EP is out today on iTunes, I do believe....

This is one of three EPs they will release this year. Together they will make the whole album.

new track is sweet

the 1st EP "Threesome Vol. 1" is coming out on May 15th according to:
    https://www.popmatters.com/lickerish...1#rebelltitem1

plus all the physical copies on their store
    https://shop.bandwear.com/collection...h-quartet-shop

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Sean, I don't mean to jump the gun here but I'm thinking you are a fan.

Heh. As of late, you bet.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    new track is sweet

the 1st EP "Threesome Vol. 1" is coming out on May 15th according to:
    https://www.popmatters.com/lickerish...1#rebelltitem1

plus all the physical copies on their store
    https://shop.bandwear.com/collection...h-quartet-shop
    Nice! Thanks for the links.