Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NCAA Men's Basketball

2020 NCAA Men's Basketball

Haven't had an updated college hoops thread in a while.

The surprise of this season has got to be the Dayton Flyers. Currently 23-2. Both of their losses were in overtime.
    One against Kansas, and the other against Colorado. Both on neutral courts. F Obi Toppin is the real deal. I hope
    they can do some tournament damage. Should be a solid 2 seed.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Looks like it should be a fun tourney, with all the turnover going on early and some of these strong teams (like Dayton and San Diego State) having no real long term pedigree here.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

D'OH!!I completely forgot about unbeaten San Diego State.

My team was on the verge of being ranked number 1 in the country, and looked like a legit number 1. Then they shit their pants. And kept shitting. I don't think they're even ranked now.

Maryland pulled another win out of their ass. Maryland has four losses but three came against teams they never should have lost to.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My team was on the verge of being ranked number 1 in the country, and looked like a legit number 1. Then they shit their pants. And kept shitting. I don't think they're even ranked now.
    OSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    OSU?
    Yeah, the Buckeyes. They didn't have any injuries, they just forgot how to play.

My two Iowa teams are both having excellent seasons, but I don't have high hopes for either in the big dance. The Hawkeyes, while they have a bona fide All-America candidate in Luka Garza, have no depth and struggle mightily on the road. The UNI Panthers are scrappy, play excellent defense, and have a kid in A.J. Green who can win a game singlehandedly, but the MV conference is not nearly as strong as it was before Creighton and Wichita State bolted. Still my favorite time of the sports year, though!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maryland pulled another win out of their ass. Maryland has four losses but three came against teams they never should have lost to.
    The Big 10 is really stacked this year. The teams keep beating up on each other, but I think come tourney time it is going to be like the SEC in football this year.

I also think that it is very cool that there are schools like Dayton and SDSU having great years this year. It would be cool to see some different teams in the final four for a change.

I'm looking for my alma mater Seton Hall to make some noise this year, but two straight losses to Creighton and Providence(!) have me wondering. Seems like teams have figured out that concentrating on stopping Myles Powell is the way to shut the Pirates down, and, in these past two games at least, nobody else has been able to step up and fill the void. Big one against Butler coming up.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    It's been a pretty crazy season so far and there is not a clear favorite to win it all. The top five right now has three mid major programs and two Big 12 schools.

1. Baylor
    2. Gonzaga
    3. Kansas
    4. San Diego State
    5. Dayton

Saturday's Kansas @ Baylor game should be a good one. Good luck filling out a bracket this year.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Good luck filling out a bracket this year.
    No kidding!

Maryland made another easy win look a little difficult at times last night. Some of those fouls called you would have thought Tom Brady was out there playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maryland made another easy win look a little difficult at times last night. Some of those fouls called you would have thought Tom Brady was out there playing.
    NFL refs moonlighting?

Anybody need a proven coach? Beilein might be making a beeline outta Cleveland soon. Word is that he is not adjusting well to the NBA.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 02-19-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    NFL refs moonlighting?
    No,those guys never call anything. It's like the players are barely touching each other and they call a foul, yet last year they miss a double dribble which decided the national championship.

Anybody need a proven coach? Beilein might be making a beeline outta Cleveland soon. Word is that he is not adjusting well to the NBA.
    It still boggles my mind that he left Michigan to go to the Cavaliers. It seemed like a really strange move at the time and even stranger now. He had so much success at Michigan. To leave that to go to an NBA team which is far from being a contender just seemed odd, and still does.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It still boggles my mind that he left Michigan to go to the Cavaliers. It seemed like a really strange move at the time and even stranger now. He had so much success at Michigan. To leave that to go to an NBA team which is far from being a contender just seemed odd, and still does.
    He went there because he is a teacher first, and he felt that he could mold their young core into a winner over time. He hadn't contended with the dynamic that in the NBA, the players run things, and their willingness to work on fundamentals and be teachable is not what it frankly should be. Oh, and they were paying him $4-5 million per.

He went there because he is a teacher first, and he felt that he could mold their young core into a winner over time. He hadn't contended with the dynamic that in the NBA, the players run things, and their willingness to work on fundamentals and be teachable is not what it frankly should be. Oh, and they were paying him $4-5 million per.
    All good points.

It seems to me that it would be exceedingly hard to teach anything to 20-30 year olds who were told since they were in high school that they were destined for fame and riches, and then achieved exactly that. Makes it hard to see the move from college coaching to the pros as anything other than a money grab. And has there ever been a successful college head coach who "went pro" and then stayed there for the remainder of his career? Asking seriously, as I can't think of one off the top of my head.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    It seems to me that it would be exceedingly hard to teach anything to 20-30 year olds who were told since they were in high school that they were destined for fame and riches, and then achieved exactly that. Makes it hard to see the move from college coaching to the pros as anything other than a money grab. And has there ever been a successful college head coach who "went pro" and then stayed there for the remainder of his career? Asking seriously, as I can't think of one off the top of my head.
    The only one I can think of is Brad Stevens. And I suppose the jury is still out on him. The Celtics have been good under him but haven't won anything. Most college coaches flame out pretty bad in the NBA.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Watchin' Villanova vs. Xavier. WTF.

Maryland shit the bed again. They are still in first place but just can't stay consistent.

Maryland must have a large number of sheets on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watchin' Villanova vs. Xavier. WTF.
    I watched it, too. Villanova didn't play all that well. Fortunately for them, Xavier played just a bit worse.

How about Providence? They are on a tear! I grew up in Providence and went to Villanova for college, so those two teams get most of my attention.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.