Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A world with cars without cd players

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That depends on your car stereo, assuming it directly takes the drive.
    That officially makes me confused. I may know that Bluetooth isn’t what you get when drinking blue Gatorade but technology isn’t my strong point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eons are closing
    Your car will determine the file formats you can use - wav, aac, mp3, flac

That is what you would put on the USB stick.

Truly that simple.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Bluetooth is simply a standardized wireless data transfer protocol. Not a 'product' per se.

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Your car will determine the file formats you can use - wav, aac, mp3, flac

That is what you would put on the USB stick.

Truly that simple.

Ok that’s good to know. I’m wondering how I would find out those facts.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Can you explain what is a blue tooth interface? Does it have a formal name? Where can I buy it?
    Hi Greg, I was originally responding to Vic and others who didn't care for using USB thumb drives. If you don't have an iPhone or iPod (or the like), you can get an inexpensive MP3 player that can connect to your car via Bluetooth. And depending on how good (or bad) the music software is, you can likely create playlists and otherwise organize the music. One example:

https://www.amazon.com/Supereye-Blue...dDbGljaz10cnVl

And if you car doesn't have Bluetooth, you can get one of these receivers that you plug into your aux jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoot...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    That officially makes me confused. I may know that Bluetooth isn’t what you get when drinking blue Gatorade but technology isn’t my strong point.
    What I meant was, if your car stereo lets you plug in the SD card ,microSD card or USB Stick into the USB drive, your car stereo determines what files are supported.
    If you're using another device through bluetooth or the AUX port, it's your device that determines what files are supported. It's so simple even I figured it out. The hard part is if you try to follow instructions in the manual. It's usually faster and easier to just wing it and figure it out yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What I meant was, if your car stereo lets you plug in the SD card ,microSD card or USB Stick into the USB drive, your car stereo determines what files are supported.
    If you're using another device through bluetooth or the AUX port, it's your device that determines what files are supported. It's so simple even I figured it out. The hard part is if you try to follow instructions in the manual. It's usually faster and easier to just wing it and figure it out yourself
    Gotcha thanks

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Hi Greg, I was originally responding to Vic and others who didn't care for using USB thumb drives. If you don't have an iPhone or iPod (or the like), you can get an inexpensive MP3 player that can connect to your car via Bluetooth. And depending on how good (or bad) the music software is, you can likely create playlists and otherwise organize the music. One example:

https://www.amazon.com/Supereye-Blue...dDbGljaz10cnVl

And if you car doesn't have Bluetooth, you can get one of these receivers that you plug into your aux jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoot...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    This is helpful. Thanks, Sean!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-21-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Ember
    The variability in digital file compatibility from one car stereo to the next, as well as in their performance in areas like loading times, ease of searching, how data is displayed on the screen, etc., means that you have to try them out yourself. When car shopping (not a frequent thing!) I would always take my thumb drive along and test it in the car.

Know what you want. If you need FLAC compatibility, look for it specifically. If you need the display of album covers, alphabetical display by artist, whatever... check for it. They’re all different.

Personally, I recommend buying the cheapest option in a new car with the expectation of replacing it with an aftermarket unit. If you end up being able to live with the stock stereo for a while, so much the better, but something compelling will come along.

One iron-clad rule: Don’t pay money for built-in navigation. Even if you aren’t a smartphone user, it’s better to buy a smartphone so you can use Google Maps with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay than to waste your cash on the tragedy of built-in navigation.

Heard on radio today that Cassette tapes are making a comeback.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 07-22-2020 at 12:53 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    A comeback? Or an unspooling?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Hear on radio today that Cassette tapes are making a comeback.
    I swear I threw away my Radio Shack 8-Track Recorder and a box of 8-Track tapes about a month ago, hope I didn't miss out on anything....

Hooray. Maybe I'll finally get shot of my cassette deck on eBay. Unfortunately I binned a portable cassette player just a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    One iron-clad rule: Don’t pay money for built-in navigation. Even if you aren’t a smartphone user, it’s better to buy a smartphone so you can use Google Maps with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay than to waste your cash on the tragedy of built-in navigation.
    This is a good plan IF you are constantly in Cell Tower range. I tour on a motorcycle and quite often out of cell range. I use a portable GPS....My GPS also has card slots to hold music. But yes.....built in navigation can become obsolete before the car.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Yesterday on the BBC news crawl on the bottom of the screen, Brits bought 94,000 cassettes this year alone.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    A few days ago, I saw a partially unspooled cassette tape on the ground. Just the tape outside its shell.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This is a good plan IF you are constantly in Cell Tower range. I tour on a motorcycle and quite often out of cell range. I use a portable GPS....My GPS also has card slots to hold music. But yes.....built in navigation can become obsolete before the car.
    You can pre-load maps with Google Maps, as many as you have storage for. You are then free of the need for a cellular connection; it becomes the equivalent of a portable GPS except the maps are always up-to-date. No traffic conditions, of course, but wayfinding works just fine.

Details: https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    We were in the market for a new car last September. It came down to the 2019 Honda CRV and the 2019 Subaru Forester. We went with the Subaru; it was cheaper and it had a CD player as standard equipment. No other manufacturer we investigated had CD players standard,
    I hope to keep my 2008 Saab 9-3 for a lot of years still to come (I got it on LPG, so I don't have to worry about it getting banned from the city until 2035)

However the sonic unit is getting old (mostly something wrong with the amp et certain high frequencies, rather than the cd sponner), and finding parts for it is not an easy task. Hopefully, I can still find some CD player alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I suppose you could connect at portable CD-player to the usb port ?

If there still is portable cd-players around and a suitable interconnect...
    Yeah, Discmans are not that easy to find anymore either

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I bought a new car in 2018 and when I was shopping around there were very few that had CD players. Part of the reason I ended up buying the car that I bought was that it did have one (along with a great sound system). Although I also have an MP3 player that I use in the car, I still like to listen to CD's and in my opinion they have better sound quality.
    Thing is that a car is never an ideal place to have excellent sonics. Too many glass surface to deal with not to mention road & trafggic noises. MP3 could be enough for a car

It's in the car's dashboard entrails that I lost most of my cassettes (never lost an XL-IIS C90, though)

Yup, some stupid hipsters are playing to 80's comeback with cassettes

It's not about what the people want, it's about what they can make us settle for. Every time I try to test drive a new car, I am reminded of the Genesis song "Get 'Em Out By Friday," because I am well over four feet tall. Doesn't matter what music format you can or can't play when you can't drive the tiny vehicle.
    Yup, some of these new cars, you have to bend in four folds to get in and out of them, in order to avoid banging your head and losing hairs on the rubber joints
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah...the uber hip/obscure seem to be embracing the cassette more and more in this past decade (mostly things like free jazz/improv and punky stuff). Seems vinyl got to accepted to main stream for them.

Not that I like the cassette, but definitely better than vinyl for my purposes, so I guess this is good progress for me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    You can pre-load maps with Google Maps, as many as you have storage for. You are then free of the need for a cellular connection; it becomes the equivalent of a portable GPS except the maps are always up-to-date. No traffic conditions, of course, but wayfinding works just fine.

Details: https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en
    Thanks for the reply....I will look into this!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I hope to keep my 2008 Saab 9-3 for a lot of years still to come (I got it on LPG, so I don't have to worry about it getting banned from the city until 2035)
    It'll never outrun the gleaming alloy air car.

Before the quarantine, I was in a bookstore that also sells music, and they had cassettes (pre-recorded ones) for in the region of $7-8 dollars. One for the parallel “Stupid Stuff People Buy” thread, I think.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It'll never outrun the gleaming alloy air car.
    Not unless your route includes a handy bridge.

Apropos built-in navigation, my portable Garmin, bought several years ago, still gives me free updates at least once a year, while my Audi dealer charges the price of a new Garmin to update my car's sat-nav maps.

Tried streaming music in my car. Oh my god was the sound awful. I thought I just drove my car into a lake.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Before the quarantine, I was in a bookstore that also sells music, and they had cassettes (pre-recorded ones) for in the region of $7-8 dollars. One for the parallel “Stupid Stuff People Buy” thread, I think.
    Do people pay that much? When I see cassettes, they cost usually 2 bits or at most 4 bits. Always used. Never see new ones any more. Of course, this town no longer has a bookstore or a record store. Only thrift stores and pawn shops. The retail outlets of our time.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I suppose car manufacturers decided at some point most people don't use CDs in the car any longer, so they got
    rid of them, or will soon if haven't already. The hell with those folks who still do. You can replace the unit if you want a CD
    player. My 2016 Lexus I bought used last October has a CD player. I use it on occasion. Mostly I use the radio or my 32 gig
    flash drive that has about 450 of my 1,000 cassettes on it. It took me a year to put them on the thing. Like others, I'm not
    going to transfer my CDs at this point. I'd like to have Apple Carplay so I could have Google Maps on the screen mostly. I have navigation
    and it's not user friendly, to say the least. If I used the phone for GM, I might be more inclined to stream Spotify, KALX(world's greatest
    radio station) when out of range, or use the RadioApp, which has loads of stations. At this point, I don't bother plugging my phone
    in for music. It is amazing that Lexus didn't get Carplay until 2018. My IS 200t still doesn't have it in this year's model.