Page 79 of 235 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Last night on CNN, Anderson Cooper had Laurie Garrett on who wrote the book, The Coming Plague, which came out in 1995 (I think). At any rate he and Sanjay Gupta spoke with her, and had several other guest on. I didn't fine the CNN interview, but watched this afterwards, which is unnerving.

“This is going to go away without a vaccine, it’s gonna go away, and we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time,” Trump said at the White House. “You may have some flare-ups, and I guess I would expect that.”
    The latest from Trump.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    She pretty much hit the nail on the head if your main goal is to save as many lives as possible. Viruses and epidemics are like a wild fire, if you put out every fire within five minutes you will never get rid of old growth and you will never have new growth.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Intensive care physicians now warn: Maybe COVID-19 is not just a lung disease

https://translate.google.com/transla...organerne.html

The online automatic so so translation is apparently very slow, so her is a copy-paste:

https://sundhedspolitisktidsskrift.d...organerne.html

Intensive care physicians now warn: Maybe COVID-19 is not just a lung disease

Posted by Maria Cuculiza d. May 7, 2020in the News category

Is paradigm shift underway? Until now, COVID-19 has been considered to be a respiratory lung disease, but Danish and foreign intensive care doctors are now warning against this unilateral understanding, which they do not believe adequately explains why so many patients get blood clots in the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs. and arms and legs.

Although severe respiratory problems are at the heart of the visible and life-threatening symptoms of corona patients, COVID-19 is beginning to reveal itself as anything but a serious, viral pneumonia. And here almost two months into the pandemic, Danish and foreign doctors, especially intensive care physicians, are now starting to report on COVID-19 as an infectious disease that behaves significantly more aggressively than usual. A new disease that goes beyond the usual experience of how violent and how often immune systems can go into overdrive in the fight against viral infections - and which not least causes many more blood clots than you usually see in other viral infections.
    Many damage to blood vessels and blood clots

One of the doctors who has lost the belief that COVID-19 is a common respiratory disease and as such follows its known pathways is a consultant in anesthesiology and intensive therapy, Næstved Hospital, Kenneth Jensen:

“We see a lot of vessel damage and both micro and macro emboli to an extent that differs from what we normally see in other very ill infectious patients. COVID-19 patients are so atypical in this area that it makes sense to begin to consider whether COVID-19 may in fact be as much a vascular disease (a circulatory disease, ed.) As a respiratory disease. Or maybe it is simply a vascular disease where the coronavirus targets its attack directly against the ACE2 receptors in the vascular wall and lung wall, after which it is the ACE2 receptors that open the door to the entire vascular system and from there to the body's other organs. "

Also a consultant at Hillerød Hospital's intensive care unit, Carsten Huus Jensen, warns against continuing to believe that COVID-19 is a common respiratory lung disease. He thinks there's more at stake:

“What was initially thought to resemble a severe flu and since classic ARDS (acute pulmonary failure, ed.) Has proven to be far more complicated, both in terms of disease and treatment. We see that unexpectedly large COVID patients form blood clots in both the veins and arteries of the lungs, arms and legs and probably also in the kidneys, so the guidelines for preventive treatment have been changed and twice the dose of blood thinning medicine is given to those patients who hospitalized on intensive. It's a problem we don't understand the root cause of "

The medical profession, the Danish Society for Thrombosis and Hemostasis, issued new guidelines in the last half of April that recommend blood-thinning medicines of varying degrees - depending on how sick the patient is. It happened after US doctors found that blood clots often appeared as a complication. Since then, other doctors from Italy, Switzerland and the United States, respectively, began to publish research that detected inflammation to an unusual extent in all blood vessels and organs.

In Denmark, attention is currently being paid to the increased incidence of blood clots in the lungs and heart, while microembolies in blood vessels may require more complicated investigations that are typically not suitable for intensive therapy - and not at all for isolated infectious patients. And the difficulties with this and the lack of knowledge about it may well concern Kenneth Jensen:

"I was afraid that we might overlook subclinical cases, which appear much later during the course of the disease or after COVID-19 disease in the form of, for example, altered behavior or circulatory function," he says.

Torben Mogensen, former anesthesiologist, hospital director and now chairman of the Lung Association, also calls for more knowledge and clarification:

“The debate right now is whether the corona also directly attacks the vascular system, or whether the vascular diseases that we see in the COVID-19 sick patients are the body's own reaction to the disease that causes the virus to attack the lungs. So we discuss what is egg and what is hen. But as it seems right now, it may well be both, ie coronavirus attacks both the lungs and the vascular system, because we have actually seen in studies that adolescents who did not have the typical lung symptoms of their COVID-19 disease, yet exhibited severe neurological symptoms.
    paradigm Shift

Kenneth Jensen calls for research and thoughtfulness in relation to the new studies, which point to the coronavirus's direct attack on the endothelial tissues of the vessels as an explanation of the patients' many blood clots. Yet he will not be surprised if we face a paradigm shift in our perception of the virus's effect on the body and disease.

“The first report of the coronavirus's possible direct attack on endothelial cells came a few weeks ago. And it got us in the department looking each other deep in the eye, because it simply made sense after seeing as many COVID-19 patients as we have, to look at patients' over-representation of blood clots based on this theory. Rather than merely expressing an immune-mediated response to lung infection, "says Kenneth Jensen, for whom the theory will also explain why, in particular, people with diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity and certain cardiovascular diseases as well as smokers and men whose ACE2 receptors have less resistance to viruses, appear to be at particular risk of dying from the disease.

"So it is especially dangerous for people who already have dysfunction in their endothelial cells," he explains, urging urgent research collaboration between intensive care physicians, cardiologists and neurologists.

For Torben Mogensen, more research into the disease itself and the clarification of the theory of the virus's possible direct attack on the endothelial cells of the vessels and organs can only go too slowly:

"It is very important to determine whether the corona attacks the vascular system, because of course it is of crucial importance for the treatment of these patients," he states.

Carsten Huus Jensen also requires more knowledge:

"We are dealing with a disease that is serious and deadly, which appears in some organ manifestations we do not understand at all," says Huus Jensen, who considers it as the highest priority to gather as much knowledge as possible, because the disease is time evolves in new directions.

* Endothelial cells lining the inside of the heart, blood vessels and lymph vessels. The cells are flat, almost mirror-shaped, and lie in a single layer between blood and tissue, separated from the tissue by a basement membrane. The endothelial cell layer and the basement membrane together form a barrier over which the metabolism between blood and tissue takes place, for example of nutrients, oxygen and carbon dioxide.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-09-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    And now...

(CNN)The new coronavirus can persist in men's semen even after they have begun to recover, a finding that raises the possibility the virus could be sexually transmitted, Chinese researchers said Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/healt...lth/index.html

So what does this do to the world's most popular shelter-in-place pastime?
    Nothing new.

It's not a surprising finding. Many viruses can live in the male reproductive tract. Ebola and Zika virus were both found to spread in semen, sometimes months after a male patient had recovered.

Saturday night in my part of the world. Got an update from my Ma in the Retirement Community (she independent living) So far NO infections in the 270 residents...I think thats great news....but the natives are getting restless....pissed off 90yo geezers can be a pain in the ass.....She is allowed to travel to the Hospital 3 days / week for dialysis so even better on her with all the precautions.
    Tomorrow is Mothers Day....she'll have to settle for a card and an e-mail. Her hearing aids make it difficult to communicate by phone and her advancing age makes Facetime on her iPad problematic. Unfortunately, she has progressed from a cane to a walker as she refuses to exercise and she uses the pandemic to justify sitting in a chair for these past two months.

We take the bad with the good.

Thanks again to y'all and the Moderators for tamping down the Politics this past week....Hey, we all know the score....just settle up in November.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Gary, thanks for your sharing your personal story.
    I'm sorry it will be a different type of Mother's Day, not only for her but your family as well. May you all enjoy the day however you make it work.
    But seniors have lived through a lot of stuff in their lifetime and most of them learn to accept things we can't change, and others get cranky as heck and are prone to tantrums like 3 year olds..a funny lot they are. lol

She still sounds like a feisty one and it's kind of cute.

My wife lost her mom in January and mine 2 years ago in Jan. So this first one without her is a bit tough.
    But we've been out of State for 6 years now, so having had that separation during that time will make that part somewhat easier, it's the phone call she's going to miss.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Fauci in quarantine after possible virus exposure.

Possible? If he doesn't know who the hell does. Now we have to listen to Foster Brooks explain everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    But seniors have lived through a lot of stuff in their lifetime and most of them learn to accept things we can't change...
    Amen to that. Our oldest citizens know what real sacrifice is. Here's a hint: It's not being forced to stay indoors for a couple of months with your TV, computer, Internet, mobile phones, streaming movies, food deliveries, etc.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Fauci in quarantine after possible virus exposure.
    They should all be in self-imposed quarantine. The smart ones will be. That leaves a lot of others who won't.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They should all be in self-imposed quarantine. The smart ones will be. That leaves a lot of others who won't.
    But then you only have Trump talking sideways out his mouth and insulting reporters.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ What??!! No Kevin McCarthy from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"??!!

Seriously, though, masterful job on that.

Cool. They even got some Session 9 in that video. One of my favorite flicks. Soundtrack is cool, too.

that's my kind of video.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Saturday night in my part of the world. Got an update from my Ma in the Retirement Community (she independent living) So far NO infections in the 270 residents...I think thats great news....but the natives are getting restless....pissed off 90yo geezers can be a pain in the ass.....She is allowed to travel to the Hospital 3 days / week for dialysis so even better on her with all the precautions.
    Tomorrow is Mothers Day....she'll have to settle for a card and an e-mail. Her hearing aids make it difficult to communicate by phone and her advancing age makes Facetime on her iPad problematic. Unfortunately, she has progressed from a cane to a walker as she refuses to exercise and she uses the pandemic to justify sitting in a chair for these past two months.

We take the bad with the good.

Thanks again to y'all and the Moderators for tamping down the Politics this past week....Hey, we all know the score....just settle up in November.
    Good to hear. My mother is in the same situation in Florida. She is 85 and has been confined to her room for 3 weeks now (they were letting them outside to see the sun and feed the birds, but not for the last 3 weeks), and she is not too happy about it but seems to understand the gravity of the situation. They also have had no positive tests for staff or residents, which is a huge relief. Her husband passed away in early January, and she has advancing macular degeneration, but me and my siblings, plus grandkids are staying in touch to make sure things are ok.

Rick

My mother died three years ago, complications of dementia. It was a sad time, but I'm glad she's resting in peace without dealing with Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My mother died three years ago, complications of dementia. It was a sad time, but I'm glad she's resting in peace without dealing with Covid.
    My Dad passed away last November, and was being transported by van to dialysis 3 days per week from his assisted living facility. My 90 year old mother is in independent living and just dealing with the sameness we are all dealing with (albeit not that well). So glad my Dad didn't have to deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    So glad my Dad didn't have to deal with this.
    My wife and I both lost our dads in the last 2-3 years. Mine was in hospice for a bit and hers was in a memory care center for about a year. We are both very glad they didn't have to go through any of this. Her dad especially would have made the staff's life miserable!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I suppose I can understand the sentiment of not wanting a parent to have to live through this. But I can't say I agree.

I lost my Dad over ten years ago and still miss him everyday. I wish he were around to impart some wisdom, he was a very smart and wise man.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    I suppose I can understand the sentiment of not wanting a parent to have to live through this. But I can't say I agree.

I lost my Dad over ten years ago and still miss him everyday. I wish he were around to impart some wisdom, he was a very smart and wise man.
    I can sympathize with you on that point. My Dad passed away a long time ago and I still miss our conversations about music, sports, etc. Nearing the end I asked him to give me his best advice for life and living. He said: "Don't take life so seriously, Jimmy. You'll never make it out alive anyway". As usual, he was correct.

Hope and Shamelessness

On Žižek’s Pandemic!

https://thepointmag.com/politics/hop...essness-zizek/

Great-just what we need, a bunch of postmodernists trying to deconstruct the pandemic and SARS-COV-2 as if it somehow was just more grist for their mill. And I am tired of Zizek being provocative just to be provocative. Who cares, any more? This is schtick. Ain't nobody walking around in a face mask thinking that this "provides a welcome anonymity and liberation from the social pressure of recognition." Well, maybe an introvert or two. But he's always good for a laugh, I have to say, so utterly self-important and self-centered. Jeez.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post

I'm a month and a half younger than my father was when he died. His last two and a half years of life were spent visiting my grandson in the hospital with leukemia, he was 8 months when diagnosed. The last year and a half of his life were spent having two open heart surgeries where the second one took his life with a bacteria infection. I always thought we would be able to do things in his later years. If he was alive today he would be 95 and who knows what kind of health. My mother passed in January from the effects of dementia and she was 92. Her life the past two years wasn't a bowl of cherries. So, in a way, I'm glad they aren't around to have to deal with everything going on now.