View Poll Results: Since the start of 2020, which format are you currently using most to listen to music

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

21 10.71%
  • CD

94 47.96%
  • Digital Files (MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc.)

64 32.65%
  • Streaming

17 8.67%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which format are you using most?

At home: Vinyls, CDs, SACDs, DVDAs.
    All in equal doses I guess.
    In the car- DTS audio and flacs, ripped from the above mentioned digital formats (or download codes, in the case of the LPs)

pretty even between LP, CD and MP3
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

CDs all the way. I like vinyl LPs, but I can't be bothered getting back into those at this stage of the game. I'll never be a downloader/streamer.

For me, CD is the perfect format. I've always loved the CD.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    CDs all the way. I like vinyl LPs, but I can't be bothered getting back into those at this stage of the game. I'll never be a downloader/streamer.

For me, CD is the perfect format. I've always loved the CD.
    It's the same for me. Occasionally I play vinyl, if I don't have it on CD and it isn't available on CD.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Purchase either CD or lossless from Qobuz or HDtracks->All purchases are archived as Apple Lossless->Convert to AAC files for iPhone and iPad->Convert to mp3 to upload to Google Play.

CD in 95% of the cases (car, home, Discmann etc...)

in 1% of the time, the odd vinyl (in my living room only, OBVIOUSLY)

the rest is YT and Bandcamp when discovering stuff , but not sure this should be considered as "streaming", as opposed to downloads
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Apple Music love being able access any music anywhere. Someone writes about an album I can be playing it in a few seconds. Use to have two whole rooms of vinyl. 20,000 albums. Now they are all in the cloud and area available where ever I am. [emoji3]

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Cassettes/reel to reel/8-tracks not even an option anymore? The magnetic era has passed?

CDs most of the time; they're convenient and I have many. Still love my LPs, but seldom take the time to put them on. Cassettes only in the car that plays nothing else.

For non-physical media, I have car radio that I can be angry at for playing the same 20 damn songs all day every day, interspersed with annoying commercials and idiot and/or prerecorded DJs.

No satellite radio, no mp3s, no bluetooth, no streaming, no surround sound. And yet, this dinosaur lives on.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Cassettes/reel to reel/8-tracks not even an option anymore? The magnetic era has passed?
    it should be. Audio or video magnetic tape is ecologically disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I still own maybe 30 Tapes which I didn't listen to for 20 years or so.
    actually when I bought my GF's dad's Citroen Xantia (what good highway car that was) as a used car circa 2005 or so, there was still a tape deck installed so I waited a couple of months before installing a CD deck, and drive around spinning my XL II-S ... last time they were used.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I know only one Person who is still into Cassettes. He would rather let you touch is wife than his Nakamichi Dragon
    Tape Deck (the Holy Grail of Tape Decks).

I still own maybe 30 Tapes which I didn't listen to for 20 years or so.

I'm still buying CD's (though I'm trying to slow that down), but I end up ripping them onto the computer, and I usually listen on the computer or my Walkman. I'm still not doing much streaming, except to listen to radio shows.

Since the question said listening I had to pick digital, but 99% of that is ripped from CD.
    <sig out of order>

My listening consists of...

80 percent CD (including cd-rs)
    10 percent streaming (Spotify/YT/Band camp)
    8 percent radio
    2 percent cassettes

I have some vinyl but not a turn table.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH
    I know only one Person who is still into Cassettes.
    I wouldn't say I was necessarily 'into' them, although I have some that sound pretty good. I have a car with no other option but a radio/cassette player. I would gladly get rid of all my cassettes if I could replace that cassette player with a CD player. I have yet to find an aftermarket car-CD player that doesn't have (and make you pay for) a whole bunch of features I would never use.

Modern problems for dinosaur listeners...
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

As far as purchases it's probably about 50% CDs/DVD/Blu-ray, 48% FLAC/hires downloads and 2% MP3 (if FLAC is not available). BUT, I rip all physical media to FLAC. I haven't listened to non-video music on physical media in about 10 years. So, I answered "Digital Files".

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Since the question said listening I had to pick digital, but 99% of that is ripped from CD.
    Yea, that was the intended response if you’re not listening to the actual CDs anymore.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Old man of prog
    Portable listening: 93% of the time: Hi Res FLAC downloads from Qobuz, HDtracks, and ProStudioMasters, Acoustic Sounds, and Bandcamp when available.

Home listening: 7% of the time: Hi Res streaming from Qobuz, and Tidal

CD's and vinyl only. I just never got into streaming and downloading. I need something tangible.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Download mainly, if that's not possible the cd,.never vinyl, never streaming.
    Ok, if it's listening you want then its 95% digital (ipod), 5% streaming (bandcamp, youtube)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    CD's and vinyl only. I just never got into streaming and downloading. I need something tangible.
    same here but my problem is that, of my 4 vehicles, 3 only have USB ports with no CD player
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Cds the most. YouTube next.

I'm amazed that so many of you still play CDs. There's some retro feel about vinyl but CDs are neither retro nor practical.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

CDs are quite practical at home and unless you're streaming in HD, better sounding than streaming.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I'm amazed that so many of you still play CDs. There's some retro feel about vinyl but CDs are neither retro nor practical.
    Why are CD's not practical? I put a CD in the player and can listen to the music and even read the booklet. They are more practical than vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Cds have a portability advantage that vinyl can simply not meet.
    This is exactly why cassettes killed vinyl (and CDs killed cassettes a decade later when the discman appeared): You cannot listen to vinyls outside your living room or far away where there is a turtable.