Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What Rush Are You Playing?

There's no disputing the boys are cooking with fire in the Rio video.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I agree with all of the above. While I maintain Signals is my favorite Rush record, but the truth is that p/g is constantly slamming into it on the racetrack. It's really a tie. p/g is their most aggressive album of the '80s. I only "some" Police influence on "The Enemy Within" (the beat, the bassline) and maybe "Red Lenses." Alex cuts into one of his best solos on "Between the Wheels," but nobody realizes it. Yet. Geddy, as usual, throws out a bass clinic and then picks a piece of lint off his shoulder, punctuated with a "Yeah, like that."
    I've loved Grace Under Pressure from the day it came out. I rate it as the best of the "keyboard records" era. The band apparently wasn't happy with the work Peter Henderson did as producer (they saw him as a glorified engineer), but it ended up being the best integration of keyboards into the Rush sound. Not only does it sound glorious, but all the songs are very strong...which would increasingly not be the case afterward. By Roll The Bones, it seems like there were always one or two songs that should have been dropped.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sirius XM is moving the Rush tribute to another channel tonight (717 or something) where it can be heard for an indefinite period. They said it was because of the strong response. Seems like they’ve added more songs too.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's Geddy's voice and the overall energy level I was talking about.
    Fair enough!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sirius XM is moving the Rush tribute to another channel tonight (717 or something) where it can be heard for an indefinite period. They said it was because of the strong response. Seems like they’ve added more songs too.
    Oh! I hadn't heard that it was moving, just that Deep Tracks was coming back tomorrow. Great news!

EDIT: Not indefinite....

"SXM is honoring Peart with a limited-time Rush Tribute Channel on Deep Tracks (Ch. 27) until Thursday, January 23 at 3am and then on Channel 717 through Tuesday, February 11 at 3am."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I've loved Grace Under Pressure from the day it came out. I rate it as the best of the "keyboard records" era. The band apparently wasn't happy with the work Peter Henderson did as producer (they saw him as a glorified engineer), but it ended up being the best integration of keyboards into the Rush sound. Not only does it sound glorious, but all the songs are very strong...which would increasingly not be the case afterward. By Roll The Bones, it seems like there were always one or two songs that should have been dropped.
    I concur RTB was the first album where some of the songs weren't up to par.

But they bounced back with Counterparts.

But they bounced back with Counterparts.
    A very good album that shouldn't have had "Speed Of Love" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    A very good album that shouldn't have had "Speed Of Love" on it.
    I like that song.

Alex cuts into one of his best solos on "Between the Wheels," but nobody realizes it.
    The synergy between his solo and Geddy's bass is mesmerizing to me.

Eh, "cute and tinkly" is not what I'd call anything on Power Windows.
    Come ON! The intro to "Grand Designs" isn't tinkly? Neil even adds a little bell at the end of the second bar!

In all seriousness, I do like "Power Windows." It's just a very different album. The digital production creates some distance and the drums don't have the same punch. The sequencers are more in your face than before and seem a bit more like "showing off" than being integrated naturally into the music (the third verse of "Middletown Dreams," especially -- the one that begins "the middle aged Madonna"...). But the songs are good in general, the album has momentum from one song to the next, and so this makes it a somewhat stronger album than "Hold Your Fire" for me.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I've been re-discovering Presto lately. It never clicked with me in the past. I thought the recorded drum sound was very flat, I hated Superconductor, I didn't like this...that...whatever. But this week I finally got it. Sure the drums could sound better but the songs are just amazing and Neil is really on fire. I mean every song is clicking with me now. Really amazing stuff.

If I could wave my magic wand, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    I've been re-discovering Presto lately. It never clicked with me in the past. I thought the recorded drum sound was very flat, I hated Superconductor, I didn't like this...that...whatever. But this week I finally got it. Sure the drums could sound better but the songs are just amazing and Neil is really on fire. I mean every song is clicking with me now. Really amazing stuff.(
    I love Presto. I have such fond memories of it... I had only just turned 17, and it was the first new studio album to be released after I had become a major fan (A Show Of Hands was the first new release for me overall). I absorbed every second of that album for months on end, and in May of the following year ('90) I got to see them for the first time. Voivod opened. So that period for me was a really magical time in my young life. I wish I could live it all again, as a song goes...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love Presto. I have such fond memories of it... I had only just turned 17, and it was the first new studio album to be released after I had become a major fan (A Show Of Hands was the first new release for me overall). I absorbed every second of that album for months on end, and in May of the following year ('90) I got to see them for the first time. Voivod opened. So that period for me was a really magical time in my young life. I wish I could live it all again, as a song goes...
    I had a similar experience, except that Hold Your Fire was the first release after I became a major fan. But Presto came out when I was in college, and I was really getting into and exploring music. It was a wonderful time in my life and Presto helped to form the soundtrack of it and make it special. And I also saw them in the summer of 1990 in Mountain View, California, with my sister; the experience turned her into a MAJOR fan.

And yeah, I love "Superconductor;" it's a nice tight little pop-rock number that builds and builds.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I love "Superconductor;" it's a nice tight little pop-rock number that builds and builds.
    For sure. There isn't a 'skipper' track on that album for me. (Well, there rarely is with Rush anyway, but there are a small handful of them following this album.)

This was also the first CD I ever bought (along with Moving Pictures at the same time). I had one of those all-in-one stereos with the glass doors that were popular at the time. I had to pay for it in installments! Ahhh, young and broke. But carefree.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anybody else ever view their albums in pairs? With the exception of the s/t LP (really stands on its own), then you have:

Rush/Fly (these 2 may be the most different from each other but sill have some similarities)
    Caress/2112
    Kings/Hemispheres
    Waves/Pictures
    Signals/Grace
    Windows/Fire
    Presto/Bones
    (at least that far for me....)

This is only imo of course. Each "pair" seems to complement each other, and there is a nice progression between the two. The next "Pair" always seem to have a fairly big shift stylistically, sonics, etc but I guess Caress and 2112 also contain similarities. I could be wrong too - it's not the 1st time
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I like that song.
    Not my favorite Rush song, but it's okay. The final open chord is actually the coolest part.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Audio Fidelity SACD release of "Presto" is a serious improvement. There is more bottom end on it which helps makes up for the thin original mix.
    Chad

As part of my deep dive into all things Rush, I might start checking out some of the latter-day live albums that I never bothered to pick up. Any recommendations from you guys on which of the following is the best?

Rush in Rio
    R30
    R40 (Air Canada Center, Toronto)
    Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland
    Clockwork Angels Tour
    Snakes & Arrows: Live

Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    As part of my deep dive into all things Rush, I might start checking out some of the latter-day live albums that I never bothered to pick up. Any recommendations from you guys on which of the following is the best?

Rush in Rio
    R30
    Clockwork Angels Tour
    Clockwork Angels Tour is a cool set list, with the first set mostly from the 80s synth period, including several deep cuts they dusted off. Rush In Rio is a very energetic one. R40 is a cool trip in reverse chronological order. I'd go with one of those. Avoid Time Machine, Geddy's voice is really poor on that one IMO.

Rush in Rio
    R30
    Clockwork Angels Tour
    That one.

Last days I played:
    Signals
    Grace under presure
    Now it is
    Power windows (the only Rush I also have on vinyl and the last studio-album I own.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    "SXM is honoring Peart with a limited-time Rush Tribute Channel on Deep Tracks (Ch. 27) until Thursday, January 23 at 3am and then on Channel 717 through Tuesday, February 11 at 3am."
    Also, this is online only for those of you with SiriusXM.
    Chad

Rush in Rio
    R30
    Clockwork Angels Tour
    I know people get on Geddy's vocals on the later videos, but they don't bother me much. Therefore, I'd recommend R40. It's a great performance with awesome lighting and effects. The reverse chronological order theme is fantastic.
    Chad

Rush in Rio
    R30
    Clockwork Angels Tour
    R30 and Snakes and Arrows: Live are my top picks
    R30 is a must. They played Bangkok.
    S/A:Live - Great live versions of 9 songs from S/A

Others in preferred order
    Rush in Rio - They guy were feeding off the enthusiastic crowd. YYZ sing along
    R40 - Great retrospective musically and visually. Lasers
    Clockwork Angels Live - Rush live with a string section
    Time Machine - vocal issues put this one on the bottom.

I'm on my way to Bangkok right now....but first I'm gonna make a stop in Bogota, then on to Lebanon.

I'm eating dinner right now, but will surely be checking Columbian fields ... in my shed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"