Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1781

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nothing wrong with those forms of music! I love a good pop tune any day of the week. And there’s a ton of cool retro synthwave stuff coming out.
    Yeah I'm really digging VHS Collection the most
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is the problem with people in general. Take some damn personal responsibility for your own behavior. Since you're obviously not contrite or can't come to terms with why you were temporarily banned, you're just setting yourself up for a permanent ban in the future. And with football season around the corner, that will seem to come sooner than later. Your choice dude.
    Hopefully, MT(s ban (despite his warts an'all) is temporary

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Are you calling me a racist.
    Don't know about you, but MT's fixation about the subject was tiresome in the long run...it didn't pop open often, but too regularly that some people became really rare on this forum because of it.

However, I don't think I've always conducted myself well here, and so I'm trying to be better.
    despite what's written below my avatar, I'm not perfect myself (none of us are), but try to do my best to be worthy of it
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 08-07-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I'm right here!
    Yay Wease!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Welcome back, Weasel! (always enjoy your food posts on FB)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hi Weasel!

Since people here are talking about musical tastes & genre preferences changing/evolving, I find (& don't know whether this is just me or a normal phenomenon of being closer to the end of life than the beginning), but over the last year my musical preferences have devolved if anything, and I find myself listening more and more to music from my youth (doowop, folk & folk rock, good pop and vocal & instrumental jazz) than listening to prog.

I still love the music that first generated this site very much and it's still a very integral part of my listening pastiche, but the memories generated by music from my past other than progressive rock have become as important to me as any other pursuit of desperate attempts at youth retention.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't know if you're being sincere or sarcastic. But if you are serious, then thank you!
    You're welcome. And, yes, I was being sincere. I'm not trying to be elitist or anything when I say that you're one of the few people on PE whose posts I read knowing I'm going to respect the opinions offered. But don't let that go to your head. I don't know that many people or even recognize user names on PE since I'm not nearly as active in the public forum anymore.

However, I don't think I've always conducted myself well here, and so I'm trying to be better.
    Oh. I see. Well then, I'll pay better attention in the future and adjust my opinion accordingly.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ...I find myself listening more and more to music from my youth than listening to prog.
    I started down that road quite some time ago (my ex always said I had an old soul). Ironically, it was Nearfest that had a huge influence on my waning interest in prog and I gravitated toward pop/rock from my youth, '80s New Wave (which I hated at the time), and especially improvisational music, specifically fusion. I've spent half a day watching old black & white videos on YouTube, one of which was the New Musical Express Poll Winners concert from '65 which included groups like The Beatles, the Stones, the Moody Blues, Wayne Fontana, Them, and the Animals. But my preference has always been fusion. Unfortunately, it seemed to me a lot of the newer stuff was more about chops than substance and it's fallen by the wayside. Still, I've found some great stuff like BLUE, Bone Structure, Morsof and of the old stuff, Passport and Nucleus. But almost all of the new stuff is uninteresting to me.

For the past few years I probably listen mostly to baroque classical, ambient (Vidna Obmana is amazing), Three Dog Night, Rage Against the Machine, and Alice in Chains. How fucking weird is that?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I might have to check out Vidna Obmana.

OK, if we're doing musical confessions, my tastes have drifted from traditional prog as well (although Rush, KC, and Tull get regular play). I still have a keen interest in instrumental prog recorded in this century. But my forays into jazz have deepened, to a lesser extent classical as well. Other than Riverside, prog metal is dead to me. I am still getting a charge from stoner/heavy psych bands, like Weedpecker. And I too travel back in time. I've done a lot of digging into the 60s, especially Dylan, Stones, and to a certain extent The Beatles (not as much new material/boots as the other two). I am getting a charge out of Americana as well, there's some incredible songwriters working in that genre, ignoring the tired tropes of current country and rock. And there's some 80s acts I am exploring in more detail, like Echo & the Bunnymen.

Now playing is a playlist of instrumental prog because I have some work to do after this post. A great solo from our own KidRunningFox is blistering my speakers right now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For the past few years I probably listen mostly to baroque classical, ambient (Vidna Obmana is amazing), Three Dog Night, Rage Against the Machine, and Alice in Chains. How fucking weird is that?
    RAtM is a helluva band. I have everything they've done (which isn't enough, but at least there's Audioslave). They groove like mofos.

Don't like AiC, though. Never have.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    RAtM is a helluva band. I have everything they've done (which isn't enough, but at least there's Audioslave). They groove like mofos.
    Yes they do. Their first three albums are killer. My two favorite songs by them are Take the Power Back and Mic Check. People of the Sun is a great one, along with their hits, and Wake Up, Vietnow, and Bombtrack.

Have you seen the Live at Finsbury Park movie? It's pretty awesome.

I was totally unaware of them until about 1999 or so. And then I heard talk on the radio of a tour with them and the Beastie Boys co-headlining. I was psyched. And then it was announced RATM broke up.

What I've heard of Audioslave hasn't hit me the way RATM did. I guess I like RATM's rap-metal/funk style better. As for Prophets of Rage, I'm a little dubious.

Not sure what you have against AIC. I might concede they're a little uneven but of the other grunge bands, I like them best by far. Layne Staley is one of my favorite singers, I love the way he & Jerry Cantrell harmonize, and Cantrell is a hell of a songwriter. Would? is probably my favorite '90s "mainstream" song.

I hear Svettie is back.......what is he going by now?

Oh......and Snakeoilaudio....Snakeoilaudio.......SNAKEOILAUDIO !
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I hear Svettie is back.......
    He's omnipresent.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What's his name this time?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Is it just me, or is Scott Bails AWOL?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    What's his name this time?
    Aldus, but got banned again..

Quick work by the mods, I didn't even notice his arrival...or departure.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. Hope he's okay. Maybe just needed a break.

I don't now. He told me awhile back he's been busier since he got a new job and can't go online during the day, but he hardly even posts on Facebook anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ...over the last year my musical preferences have devolved if anything, and I find myself listening more and more to music from my youth (doowop, folk & folk rock, good pop and vocal & instrumental jazz) than listening to prog.

I still love the music that first generated this site very much and it's still a very integral part of my listening pastiche, but the memories generated by music from my past other than progressive rock have become as important to me as any other pursuit of desperate attempts at youth retention.
    You and me both, young man. For me it's more on the surf and rockabilly side.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. Hope he's okay. Maybe just needed a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't now. He told me awhile back he's been busier since he got a new job and can't go online during the day, but he hardly even posts on Facebook anymore.
    Hal is correct. I'm still kicking around, but I got this awesome new job that actually requires that I work during the day instead of posting on Internet forums.

I do appreciate the concern, and I miss the interactions with you guys. I'll try to check in more often. I feel so out of touch.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yay Scott.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yay Scott x2!! Missed ya buddy
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Eagles suck.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    As do Phlyers
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Eagles suck.