Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things Season 3

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the people who don't like the show, and feel duty-bound to let everyone know, a lot, don't have a clue about the movie The Neverending Story.

I understand, it gets old fast. Good thing we have YES and The Rolling Stones keeping things fresh for us all for the past 40 years of their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Still need to avoid spoilers for season 2, but did you guys notic the mention in one of the episodes of there being a River Eno in Hawkins? I figure that's a nod to Brian Eno.
    Oh snap! I hope I haven’t spoiled season 3 for you!

And no, I didn’t catch the River Eno at all! Certainly could be a nod to Brian. Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    The Neverending Story.
    Ah! I guess I must have heard the song before, but I didn't remember it.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the people who don't like the show, and feel duty-bound to let everyone know, a lot, don't have a clue about the movie The Neverending Story.

I understand, it gets old fast. Good thing we have YES and The Rolling Stones keeping things fresh for us all for the past 40 years of their careers.
    I feel this is aimed at me so I will respond. Loved season 1, not as much following 2 seasons. Neverending Story came out when I was older than the target audience, so it's only a name I've heard. As for the last part, if you knew anything about my musical tastes you would know I am not some old fuddy-duddy stuck in the 70s. I discover literally dozens of new bands every year. Young up and comers, not dwelling in the 70s. I'm barely a progger...

Now people can quote me again and keep sucking me into this thread, or you can leave me to leave you to love this show in peace...
    Last edited by Yves; 08-07-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Loved Stranger Things, but not to hijack this, is anyone also watching Dark? Very similar in tone, but far more tense.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Loved Stranger Things, but not to hijack this, is anyone also watching Dark? Very similar in tone, but far more tense.
    Dark is in all aspects ten times better. The comparison is valid but unfair for Stranger Things: it's like comparing Madonna to Richard Wagner.

I started Dark, but wasn't having the bad dubbing or patience to read subtitles. Shame on me, but just being honest Some day...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Dark is in all aspects ten times better. The comparison is valid but unfair for Stranger Things: it's like comparing Madonna to Richard Wagner.
    Interesting comparison!

I don't think one is necessarily "better" than the other, because they're just totally different types of show.

Dark is not a fun show. It is great, but it is not fun. It took until season 3 and then only in a flashback for one character to laugh. Read the subtitles, it isn't hard on this show. You don't have to see facial expressions. They are all frowning all the time.

Looking forward to season 4.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I started Dark, but wasn't having the bad dubbing or patience to read subtitles. Shame on me, but just being honest Some day...
    It's really pathetic but I can't stand reading subtitles. Too much work in general! I have, still, enjoyed a few foreign films with sub-titles. I can't remember the name but there was a story about Nazi's that was a fantasy film by Guillermo del Toro that was pretty awesome.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting comparison!

I don't think one is necessarily "better" than the other, because they're just totally different types of show.
    There are common features, like the teenagers trying to solve the mystery, or the 80's nostalgia. I too like Madonna, but Wagner is necessarily better

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    There are common features, like the teenagers trying to solve the mystery, or the 80's nostalgia. I too like Madonna, but Wagner is necessarily better
    Oh for sure there are some elements the shows have in common. But Dark is more of an art house sci-fi character study, while Stranger Things is like a fun popcorn movie in TV form, IMO.

As for Madonna and Wagner, I really haven't listened to enough of either to comment with any authority. I will say that Madonna's songs get stuck in my head more often than Wagner's though.

As for Madonna and Wagner, I really haven't listened to enough of either to comment with any authority. I will say that Madonna's songs get stuck in my head more often than Wagner's though.
    There is a "Huns and Horns" joke in here somewhere.

Funny you mention it...I started last weekend. Really good.5 episodes into the first season, as of now.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh snap! I hope I haven’t spoiled season 3 for you!

And no, I didn’t catch the River Eno at all! Certainly could be a nod to Brian. Good catch!
    Don’t worry, I haven’t read this thread, just posted a couple of observations about season 2.

The end of season 2 was pretty cute (well, not the very last scene). I kind of hope Max’s mulletheaded brother is back in season 3. He was good for a laugh. I’ll probably start season 3 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don’t worry, I haven’t read this thread, just posted a couple of observations about season 2.

The end of season 2 was pretty cute (well, not the very last scene). I kind of hope Max’s mulletheaded brother is back in season 3. He was good for a laugh. I’ll probably start season 3 tonight.
    Oh, Billy is definitely back in season 3. Great actor.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think they should have wrapped the series up. Child actors are usually good at portraying kids but their skills are limited as adults. I wished a lot more of my favorite TV shows could learn to quit while they're on top.
    Why? The story isn’t finished yet, why does it need to have ended? Where would you have preferred it stopped at?

Not sure which actors you’re referring to as being “limited”, but Gaten (who plays Dustin) is easily my favorite. I love that kid.

Why? The story isn’t finished yet, why does it need to have ended? Where would you have preferred it stopped at?

Not sure which actors you’re referring to as being “limited”, but Gaten (who plays Dustin) is easily my favorite. I love that kid.
    He does do a good job, but that kid better make his money now because he is going to be typecast into that character for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    He does do a good job, but that kid better make his money now because he is going to be typecast into that character for the rest of his life.
    He might, but he was a stage actor for years before Stranger Things came about. I'm not worried for him.

Like Dark, but prefer Stanger Things, interesting that some European series with a high quality like Dark and Casa Del Palpel appear , btw the Never Ending Story is based on a famous German book for kids by Michael Ende and the film was realised by the German director Wolfgang Petersen. I like the nerdy side of Stranger Things , a bit like Big Bang Theory with monsters but still menaging to mention Plancks equation
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think they should have wrapped the series up. Child actors are usually good at portraying kids but their skills are limited as adults. I wished a lot more of my favorite TV shows could learn to quit while they're on top.
    Some of the "kids" in the series are actors who are as old/older than I was when I was already working, married and owned a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Some of the "kids" in the series are actors who are as old/older than I was when I was already working, married and owned a house.
    Which ones? How young were you when you got married?!

Did you grow up on the prairie somewhere about 150 years ago?
    <sig out of order>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Which ones? How young were you when you got married?!

3 of the Stranger Things "kids" are 24 or older.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Dyer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Heaton
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Keery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacre_Montgomery

You could argue that some of the characters are no longer kids in Season 3, I suppose, but it reminds me of shows like Happy Days when you had adults playing high schoolers.

3 of the Stranger Things "kids" are 24 or older.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Dyer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Heaton
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Keery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacre_Montgomery

You could argue that some of the characters are no longer kids in Season 3, I suppose, but it reminds me of shows like Happy Days when you had adults playing high schoolers.
    I thought you were talking about the actual kids in the show, like Mike, Will, Lucas, and Dustin.