Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PROG Magazine- The 100th Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am hoping that Sean writes a letter to them about prog as it relates to substance abuse / anger issues / mental illness.
    Now we're talking.

I want to write an article. Every time I come in with a new idea, I will use the line, "And, in another of my opinions", then I will proceed to state my opinion as absolute fact,and make it clear that anyone who disagrees with me is a big poopie head. Then I will talk about how it's all cool, and I am just sharing my opinion and am totally cool with people having different opinions. I might restate how everyone else is an idiot at the end of the article.

That would be awesome.

^ ^ ^
    BIG poopie head!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I might have picked: Frank Zappa, whom I assume was already taken or Tangerine Dream, ditto.

So maybe Harold Budd or Terry Riley. Who would you have picked

Yeah, I'll have to look for it at the Barnes and Nobles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I am hoping that Sean writes a letter to them about prog as it relates to substance abuse / anger issues / mental illness.
    There's talk of a feature in there commemorating PE's 20th Anniversary. I might have time to bring it up then.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    There is still plenty of Yes on the cover. Three ex-members are mentioned below the cover collage.

I have been a avid reader since Issue 1, first scouring Barnes and Noble or Penn Station bookstores to now subscribing to the digital edition via the Zinio app on both my iPad and Samsung phone.

For those complaining about cost, if you don't mind trading in print for digital, each issue on the Zinio app for iPad/iPhone is $2.99, while on Android it's $3.25 per issue. Last month, there was a sale and I was able to subscribe for a yearly subscription for less of the cost of a single print issue in the U.S. Of course, you don't get the CD with the digital edition.

While the cover subjects are usually the same bunch (Yes, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Tull, Steven Wilson), the corresponding articles are excellent. I enjoy the album and concert review sections, and like others have discovered new and old bands because of articles/reviews in the magazine.

Congratulations on 100 issues!
    How do you subscribe on ZINIO? All I can find are single issues.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    How do you subscribe on ZINIO? All I can find are single issues.
    If you are on the Prog magazine page in Zinio, you should see a box with a price for the single issue shown, and a box below it to subscribe for a year.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I'd quite like to see a cd from Prog devoted to tribute bands. I guess these bands don't have albums to promote though and so they'd not want to stump up the cash.

And before one of the wags around here tells me, yes I know that I could go and get an a recent album by Yes!

I think it's pretty great that after all these years we've got the one British magazine (Prog) and one American one (Progression) left-albeit way less often produced.

I agree with the praise above and I'd say I have my own complicated "issues" with Prog Magazine.

PLUSES:

1. Looks great!

2. Consistently produced. It comes out monthly without fail.

3. The cover mount CD-although almost "proudly" not listened to by loads of prog fans-is a nice touch

4. Well written

MINUSES (but understood)

1. Covers and features are always the same 10-15 artists/bands

2. Expensive in the US-although you have digital and it's much cheaper to subscribe

MINUSES (I don't get it)

1. The UK focus. Ok it's a UK magazine, but Prog is a tiny faction of the worldwide music listening public and via social media there is very little regard to where a fan actually lives. Just look at PE. Anyway, to focus on the UK (albeit the country where we got our biggest Prog bands from) and Europe (to some extent)-as much as they do with their coverage of festivals and bands-is really leaving out a lot of audience. Maybe they think Progression is "doing that" but I just think it's more that they're not opening their eyes to what's going on across the pond or maybe they have proof that covering US stuff doesn't "sell"?

2. Advertising expensive. I spent a small fortune on both print and cover mount CD inclusion and I don't think we gained many fans from it.

3. Getting reviewed in the magazine is what I would call a "crap-shoot" for bands. Almost as bad as trying to get your band considered for Cruise To The Edge. We got our 2012 album reviewed by a stroke of luck I guess. Then our "higher profile" 2015 album that came out on a label and was getting amazing press wasn't even reviewed at all EVEN THOUGH we played 4 shows in England and Wales later that year. Then, we spent some good money in 2018 to promote our album that year and once again did not get reviewed but got an "if you missed it" minuscule review once I made a tiny stink about it to their advertising rep. I know of another American band that spend probably twice as much as me the last few years and they got reviewed and got a feature story as well so...

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    If you are on the Prog magazine page in Zinio, you should see a box with a price for the single issue shown, and a box below it to subscribe for a year.
    Looks like right now they're promoting a one off issue commemorating the 10th anniversary of Prog. The subscription icon appears but quickly disappears. Guess I'll wait and see what happens next month.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I think it's pretty great that after all these years we've got the one British magazine (Prog) and one American one (Progression) left-albeit way less often produced.

I agree with the praise above and I'd say I have my own complicated "issues" with Prog Magazine.

PLUSES:

1. Looks great!

3. The cover mount CD-although almost "proudly" not listened to by loads of prog fans-is a nice touch

4. Well written

MINUSES (but understood)

2. Expensive in the US-although you have digital and it's much cheaper to subscribe

MINUSES (I don't get it)

1. The UK focus. Ok it's a UK magazine, but Prog is a tiny faction of the worldwide music listening public and via social media there is very little regard to where a fan actually lives. Just look at PE. Anyway, to focus on the UK (albeit the country where we got our biggest Prog bands from) and Europe (to some extent)-as much as they do with their coverage of festivals and bands-is really leaving out a lot of audience. Maybe they think Progression is "doing that" but I just think it's more that they're not opening their eyes to what's going on across the pond or maybe they have proof that covering US stuff doesn't "sell"?

2. Advertising expensive. I spent a small fortune on both print and cover mount CD inclusion and I don't think we gained many fans from it.

3. Getting reviewed in the magazine is what I would call a "crap-shoot" for bands. Almost as bad as trying to get your band considered for Cruise To The Edge. We got our 2012 album reviewed by a stroke of luck I guess. Then our "higher profile" 2015 album that came out on a label and was getting amazing press wasn't even reviewed at all EVEN THOUGH we played 4 shows in England and Wales later that year. Then, we spent some good money in 2018 to promote our album that year and once again did not get reviewed but got an "if you missed it" minuscule review once I made a tiny stink about it to their advertising rep. I know of another American band that spend probably twice as much as me the last few years and they got reviewed and got a feature story as well so...
    And yet you're not bitter. Man, I would be livid. You're a better person than I am!!!
    The Prog Corner

I love Prog Magazine and we should all feel very fortunate that our tiny little community has such a publication!!! That being said, it is a business. They have bills to pay.

I had a Twitter conversation with Jerry Ewing about the same 10-15 artists gracing the cover over and over. I told him I thought Neal Morse should be on there. He said that would never happen as the issue would not sell - and he's probably right.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    And yet you're not bitter. Man, I would be livid. You're a better person than I am!!!
    Yeah, I guess I can see why they never deigned to review the CDs I sent them--the only money they've ever gotten out of me is from buying the magazine!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post

PLUSES:

1. Looks great!

4. Well written

MINUSES (but understood)

MINUSES (I don't get it)

I am with you on the UK/European-bias.

I suppose they have a valid reason to not feature as many obscure bands because they can't afford to lose money.

But I guess I find myself in no-man's land looking for a magazine that covers my taste (which I guess is MY issue, not theirs).
    Why I have my blog I guess.

I've likely shared this YouTube RANT before around here, but I suppose it's worth doing so again.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I am with you on the UK/European-bias.
    It's a UK magazine, published in the UK, with an editorial team in the UK, most easily available in the UK, and thus presumably with a largely UK readership. It doesn't seem terribly surprising that it has some UK bias in its content.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/