Page 82 of 160 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Sorry Leslie, I went to the mat for ya but it's a tough crowd in here.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Sorry Leslie, I went to the mat for ya but it's a tough crowd in here.
    Don't call me Mat.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Don't call me Mat.
    Ah, the Nielson effect.

On vacation with access to TCM. 7UPs last night. Havnt seen this one from beginning to end in a long time. A very French Connection feel to this , both movies share the same producer. What I hadn't noticed previously , so many of the bit part actors from FC pop up in the 7 ups . For example , I'm pretty sure the bus driver that saves Schieder during the chase was the same guy as the conductor who is shot in the FC train scene. More in addition. This has a very 70s vibe , really good movie.
    One I caught the other day, never heard of or saw, a Robert Mitchum , Jack Palance "noir" although its in color. !953. Palance is an unhinged hitman killing off witnesses in Mexico. His last target is a former gang moll who runs to Mitchum for protection. The finale involves a cable car , great hieghts and insanity. I don't think this one gets many showings. There are better but this is no slouch. Worth your time if you enjoy the era and genre.

I watched "The French Connection" last night, too. It was such a long time since I'd seen it. What a great movie.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Watched, Hud, last night. Some would think this is a rather plain movie but Newman shows once again what a great actor he was. Great film.

Just got this for my birthday.

I've got that on my list, too. There's another on pre-code Hollywood called Sin in Soft Focus that's good, too. Written by the same author.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Cool book, Ron. Please scan & share any "interesting" photos.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Cool book, Ron. Please scan & share any "interesting" photos.
    The book is absolutely beautiful. Very well printed and loaded with photos. I'll try to share a few. It will be a relatively quick read.

The book is absolutely beautiful. Very well printed and loaded with photos. I'll try to share a few. It will be a relatively quick read.
    Can I read it after you? I promise I won't dog ear or spill anything on it.

Let's get this thread back to life!

Next Tuesday, TCM is showing "Metropolis" (1926) preceded by "A Trip to the Moon" (1902).

Let's get this thread back to life!

Next Tuesday, TCM is showing "Metropolis" (1926) preceded by "A Trip to the Moon" (1902).
    Been some time for, A Trip to the Moon. Did they redo this in color at some time? Or was that, The First Men in the Moon?

Been some time for, A Trip to the Moon. Did they redo this in color at some time? Or was that, The First Men in the Moon?
    I have never seen a color version. it's only a ten-minute short.

I avoid colorized movies. I remember when they first started doing that. Everyone had the same skin tone as Pres Trump does. lol

I avoid colorized movies. I remember when they first started doing that. Everyone had the same skin tone as Pres Trump does. lol
    Ron Howard colorized parts of the Beatles Live doc he recently did. Not sure WTF he was thinking.

Ron Howard colorized parts of the Beatles Live doc he recently did. Not sure WTF he was thinking.
    Pffft! Everyone knows the Beatles didn't become colorized till they started dropping acid. It was like Dorothy leaving Kansas.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I have never seen a color version. it's only a ten-minute short.
    Ron, is this the short that Smashing Pumpkins used footage of for the song, Tonight Tonight?

To me, they all have this odd sepia look to them. Meh.

Ron, is this the short that Smashing Pumpkins used footage of for the song, Tonight Tonight?
    I couldn't tell you, but here it is:

So, there is a color version that was likely hand-colored back in the day. It was a common practice. In fact, there are versions of "The Great Train Robbery" (1901??) that were hand-colored, as well.

This should not be confused with computer colorizing that was done in the 1980s. You can tell the difference, of course, considering that they literally hand-colored every frame of the tiny film.

To me, they all have this odd sepia look to them. Meh.
    The sepia toning is to emulate what was actually done in the theaters. The projectionist would have colored glass to place in front of the projector for certain scenes. You would see blue for outdoors, brown for indoors, etc. If you see sepia throughout the entire film, it's probably more for effect than anything. It comes off a bit warmer.

I couldn't tell you, but here it is:

So, there is a color version that was likely hand-colored back in the day. It was a common practice. In fact, there are versions of "The Great Train Robbery" (1901??) that were hand-colored, as well.

This should not be confused with computer colorizing that was done in the 1980s. You can tell the difference, of course, considering that they literally hand-colored every frame of the tiny film.
    Couldn't see it was mentioned here, but this film was also "used" by Air: https://vimeo.com/39275260

The sepia toning is to emulate what was actually done in the theaters. The projectionist would have colored glass to place in front of the projector for certain scenes. You would see blue for outdoors, brown for indoors, etc. If you see sepia throughout the entire film, it's probably more for effect than anything. It comes off a bit warmer.
    On an off station, I saw, Red River in color. Ugh!!

Last night on TCM, The Day the Earth Stood Still, was on. May not be the best b&w movie ever, but it must be the best b&w sci-fi movie ever.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.