Page 61 of 397 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I also would have included at least one more Bergman.
    I feel like Bergman's a category unto himself. But I suppose you can say that about any auteur. I took a film studies course on Bergman. And from what I know of the culture, Bergman's films are sooo Swedish. They're serious, philosophical, though provoking, and often depressing. Honestly, I found most of them boring. The only two I liked were The Seventh Seal & Persona and we watched at least 10. That said, his B&W films are probably about the most beautiful films ever put to celluloid, B&W or color!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

interesting including silent films on the list, I guess they are technically foreign language pictures, but given that translating intertitles doesn't really affect the picture in the same way as dubbing it seems the foreign language is not really a important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    And it's all for entertainment. Sometimes it's better to enjoy a movie without dissecting it to the Nth degree.
    Sorry, but when dealing with real/factual subject matter, it's not too much to ask that they get their facts straight. Next thing you know, they'll have Abe Lincoln killing vampires, or some goofy shit like that.

I didn't realize Metropolis and Battleship Potemkine constituted "foreign language" movies, seeing as they're both silent. My top 25 foreign films would be something like:

Solaris
    Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster
    Metropolis
    La Jetee (ok, it's a short film, but it's still a frelling classic)
    Don't Tempt Me
    La Planete Sauvage
    Seven Samurai
    Roshomon
    Ran
    Do Des Kaden
    Tie Me Up Tie Me Down
    Alphaville
    Un Chien Andalou
    Godzilla Vs Hedorah
    La Femme Nikita
    Bermude: La Fossa Maladetta
    L'Ultimo SOS
    Ondata Di Piacere
    Nosferatu
    The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
    Das Testament Des Dr. Mabuse
    La Guerre Secrete
    Suspiria
    Tenebrae
    Tentacles

Hey, be thankful I didn't count Rock & Rule as "foreign" (well, it was produced entirely in Canada!)
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-02-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Next thing you know, they'll have Abe Lincoln killing vampires, or some goofy shit like that.
    Or Mr. Elvis Aaron Presley and President John F Kennedy (or at least, two elderly men claiming to be Elvis and JFK) fighting a mummy who is devouring the souls of the residents of their nursing home.

Or The Doctor corroborating the authenticity of a Shakespeare manuscript, by recognizing his own handwriting (Will had apparently sprained his hand, and The Doctor had to do the writing for him on...oh forget which play it was, but it's mentioned in the City Of Death serial from 1979).

All seriousness aside, I would assume most people know that movies like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, or Bubba Ho-Tep are not meant to be taken seriously, and are done for the purposes of having fun with whatever crazy ideas the writers can come up with. Likewise, does anyone really believe that The Doctor knew Will Shakespeare, Leonardo DaVinci, and all the other historical figures he supposedly met while traveling in the TARDIS?!

My only concern is stuff like What's Love Got To Do With, which arguably did as much harm to Ike Turner's rep as anything he may or may not have actually done. You may not care about Ike's rep, but the guy made some damn good records back in the 50's through the early 70's, and I just think it stinks that he's not gonna be remembered for any of that so much as what people think he did to Tina, via the portrayal in that movie.

re: Ingmar Bergman, I sitll can't get over the fact that Max Von Sydow worked with Bergman. How do you go from working with someone like Bergman, to starring in movies like Flash Gordon, Strange Brew (where he got to utter the classic line, "What in the stink could they be doing in there?!"), and Dreamscape?!?! I mean, it's mindboggling.

As for Fellini, I'm not sure I've ever seen any of his pictures, other than 8 1/2. I know I read that Woody Allen considering calling Stardust Memories (which is basically his own version of 8 1/2) 4, because he didn't consider himself to be even half the film maker that Fellini was.

I think I might have seen at least part of La Strada, now that I think about it. That's the one that Richard Basehart was in, right? There's another one, going from Fellini to Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea!

And it's all for entertainment. Sometimes it's better to enjoy a movie without dissecting it to the Nth degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sorry, but when dealing with real/factual subject matter, it's not too much to ask that they get their facts straight. Next thing you know, they'll have Abe Lincoln killing vampires, or some goofy shit like that.
    I'm with you there. I was meaning to directly reference GuitarGeek's infatuation with needing to call out as many inaccuracies as possible, such as the wrong guitars used in Buddy Holly and Back To The Future.

I'm with you there. I was meaning to directly reference GuitarGeek's infatuation with needing to call out as many inaccuracies as possible, such as the wrong guitars used in Buddy Holly and Back To The Future.
    In his defense GuitarGeek is certainly NOT the only guilty party in this thread when it comes to nitpicking.

It doesn't really bother me though because any post that travels longer than 3 sentences and I start to drift off into a sea of cheese.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

It doesn't really bother me though because any post that travels longer than 3 sentences and I start to drift off into a sea of cheese.
    Don't worry. It's mostly incoherent gibberish anyway. AT least, on my posts it is. And if you think it's annoying on a website, you should try being on a road trip with me. Talk about a nightmare you can't wake up from!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Chris, never change, love ya man.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Don't worry. It's mostly incoherent gibberish anyway. AT least, on my posts it is. And if you think it's annoying on a website, you should try being on a road trip with me. Talk about a nightmare you can't wake up from!
    we have met in person at a NF many moons ago. In fact, I bought a whole group of us dinner one evening (can't remember the name of the place but you probably do. Actually you probably remember the name of the waitress!! ). It was a meal chock full of incoherent gibberish...from all of us...

This is as good as any movie!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

But is it really hard to get those thigns right?
    No it isn't difficult, but, using a guitar in a film that was not of that era is not a bad thing. It's a "so what?" thing. The guitar model/brand doesn't alter the feel of the movie. It didn't alter the movie going forward. It just doesn't matter to many, many, MANY people. They enjoy the film regardless of the wrong guitar being used. It only seems to matter to you and possible others -- not the majority.

As for the Chuck & Marvin Berry sequence... really? You need to stop down on this? It's not like Back To The Future is a documentary. It's a comedy film. The Berry sequence is for laughs. It does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Chris, never change, love ya man.

I wouldn't have him change his monologues at all. Never.

we have met in person at a NF many moons ago. In fact, I bought a whole group of us dinner one evening (can't remember the name of the place but you probably do. Actually you probably remember the name of the waitress!! ). It was a meal chock full of incoherent gibberish...from all of us...
    I don't remember the name of the restaurant, either, but I do remember someone else saying" Remember, that's Klonk, so be nice to him online!".

I saw the Buddy Holly Story in 1978 at the cinema. Great film. He played a Stratocaster. I honestly didn't think about whether the Strat was from the right year or not.

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, either, but I do remember someone else saying" Remember, that's Klonk, so be nice to him online!".
    Great stuff.

Saw Bo Rhap today (that's what the band calls the song-at least in the movie). Quite impressive and poignant. Malek is terrific.

As much as he does look like Freddie (I'm capable of learning, Chris), the Brian May actor is even more of a clone.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I probably will not see Bho Rap, but I played a Queen album this week......Queen II. Fucking masterpiece. They say Stone Cold Crazy is the first Speed Metal song. I say Ogre Battle is the first Speed Metal song.......

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seeing Bo Rhap on Sunday
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll be seeing Bo Rhap soon. I know the guy who gave Rami Malek piano lessons before the shooting of the film (he wanted to stress the importance of the left hand crossover in the Bo Rhap verses for authenticity's sake.) He's hoping his name will be in the credits, and I'll be staying to the end to watch for it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I saw the Buddy Holly Story in 1978 at the cinema. Great film. He played a Stratocaster. I honestly didn't think about whether the Strat was from the right year or not.
    Just for the record, Gary Busey plays three different Fender guitars in the movie: a CBS era Strat (which has a different headstock shape to the models that were produced when Buddy was alive), a Telecaster (which Buddy never played) and a Bronco (which didn't even exist during Buddy's lifetime).

Thank you Chris. You rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I probably will not see Bho Rap, but I played a Queen album this week......Queen II. Fucking masterpiece. They say Stone Cold Crazy is the first Speed Metal song. I say Ogre Battle is the first Speed Metal song.......
    Yeah, Queen II is an awesome record. Everything from Queen II up through News Of The World was golden in my book. I just heard Bohemian Rhapsody at a restaurant yesterday, I sang along with the whole song, but quietly so no one else would have to listen. I even sang part of the guitar solo, but had to drop out because my server came up to take my order, so I had to tell her what I wanted to eat. Fortunately, she was done and stepped away just as the opera section started.

The only thing about Queen II is they recorded it on 8-track, which would have been fine if they had been using a conventional approach to recording rock music, i.e. just the occasional doubletracked vocal or guitar part. But the heavy use of overdubs stretched the limits of what you can do with that medium. Plus, the band were, I think, still recording whenever there was open time at Trident studios (which was run by their original managers, the guys Freddie later wrote Flick Of The Wrist and Death On 2 Legs about), sometimes late at night, so they didn't have time to dial in guitar tones, drum sounds, etc. That's why the production on that record (and the first album for that matter) is so flat sounding. But musically, it's brilliant.

By contrast, by the time they made Sheer Heart Attack, they had a hit single (Seven Seas Of Rye) under their belts, so EMI were willing to give them a budget to record their music, their way, properly. So they were able to move up to using 16 track, so they could do more overrdubs without having to bounce stuff down, and they were given the time to make the drums and guitars and everything sound the way they really needed to.

Yeah, Queen II is an awesome record. Everything from Queen II up through News Of The World was golden in my book. I just heard Bohemian Rhapsody at a restaurant yesterday, I sang along with the whole song, but quietly so no one else would have to listen. I even sang part of the guitar solo, but had to drop out because my server came up to take my order, so I had to tell her what I wanted to eat. Fortunately, she was done and stepped away just as the opera section started.

The only thing about Queen II is they recorded it on 8-track, which would have been fine if they had been using a conventional approach to recording rock music, i.e. just the occasional doubletracked vocal or guitar part. But the heavy use of overdubs stretched the limits of what you can do with that medium. Plus, the band were, I think, still recording whenever there was open time at Trident studios (which was run by their original managers, the guys Freddie later wrote Flick Of The Wrist and Death On 2 Legs about), sometimes late at night, so they didn't have time to dial in guitar tones, drum sounds, etc. That's why the production on that record (and the first album for that matter) is so flat sounding. But musically, it's brilliant.

By contrast, by the time they made Sheer Heart Attack, they had a hit single (Seven Seas Of Rye) under their belts, so EMI were willing to give them a budget to record their music, their way, properly. So they were able to move up to using 16 track, so they could do more overrdubs without having to bounce stuff down, and they were given the time to make the drums and guitars and everything sound the way they really needed to.
    True. Still, they had Roy Thomas Baker producing, and while he absolutely helped craft their classic sound in a big way, he was also responsible for some of the less-than-stellar drum sounds on those early albums. I've heard the band members, especially Brian, complain about this on a number of occasions, saying, in effect, that a great drum sound wasn't truly captured until they got Mack on board (1980). I personally love how all of those 70's Queen albums sound despite some of the production choices. Queen II is also my favorite album by them, warts and all. There's just so much there to love, and the whole thing oozes power, atmosphere, and for the most part great songwriting.

...while I have your attention, I caught Destroy All Monsters! on I think IFC the other night. Definitely not the masterpiece I remember as a kid, but fun none the less. Always liked Rodan and was glad they teamed up