Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

NP: The White Album....

The walrus was Paul.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: The White Album....

The walrus was Paul.....
    That's in the deck of my car right now. Mono version, that is.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album post-1965-66. I'd say a good 70-75 percent of it is just great. The other 25 percent ranges from listenable to just crap.

I was always a Beatles fan, I mean who wasn't. I could sing most all of them, and recognize one from the first bar of music. Then my daughter became a huge fan when she was about 8, and played Beatles non-stop until she was about 12, when she migrated to Bowie. My wife and I heard so many Beatles tunes during that period that we are now burnt on them. Even if there's a Beatles cover band playing a free concert locally we really can;t bring ourselves to go to the show. My wife immediately switches the radio elsewhere if a Beatles tune comes on.

What a shame.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Lego launches Beatles Yellow Submarine set, complete with Fab Four figures

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...b-four-figures

^^ That's really cool. But, at $60.00 ...

I do have this, which I have yet to build:

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm a newer PE member, but from what I've read over the last month, I'm assuming a large percentage of PE PEople are musicians and/or recording artists (including a good dose of non-commercial home-recording artists). Anyone got any Beatles covers they'd like to share for a late-night Northern California community radio show (the more unusual the interpretation, the better for this show)? If I get an hour's worth, the show will go on.

I remember the week Rubber Soul was released. Kids were bringing the album to school to play it in music class. Most adults reacted with shock when they saw the cover and the newly founded extended hair length of The Beatles. It was such an Americanized reaction based on being conditioned from their upbringing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the vastness of that mentality existed. Especially when Beatles were asked if they were going to get a haircut. Before The Beatles we had Moe Howard and I'm not sure if his hair style was accepted ?

I dislike the American Beatles releases...but with Rubber Soul they did something right. It opened with "I've Just Seen A Face" and the American version felt more Folk based. I thought it was a better choice than opening with "Drive My Car". Rubber Soul, Help, and Beatles For Sale were my favorites. It was a transitional period that made an impression on me for years. Very unique times.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I remember the week Rubber Soul was released. Kids were bringing the album to school to play it in music class. Most adults reacted with shock when they saw the cover and the newly founded extended hair length of The Beatles. It was such an Americanized reaction based on being conditioned from their upbringing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the vastness of that mentality existed. Especially when Beatles were asked if they were going to get a haircut. Before The Beatles we had Moe Howard and I'm not sure if his hair style was accepted ?

I dislike the American Beatles releases...but with Rubber Soul they did something right. It opened with "I've Just Seen A Face" and the American version felt more Folk based. I thought it was a better choice than opening with "Drive My Car". Rubber Soul, Help, and Beatles For Sale were my favorites. It was a transitional period that made an impression on me for years. Very unique times.
    Dave Dexter being charged with presenting Beatles music to American kids was one HUGE bumfuck. The guy hadn't a clue. The butcher cover was just one way the Beatles showed their displeasure. Ironically tons of American boomers get pissed today if they don't hear that music exploding out of their speakers the way they learned it. Sad. What he did to Revolver was a travesty - especially lopping off "And Your Bird Can Sing", which I think is one of the best songs on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Taped Rugs View Post
    I'm a newer PE member, but from what I've read over the last month, I'm assuming a large percentage of PE PEople are musicians and/or recording artists (including a good dose of non-commercial home-recording artists). Anyone got any Beatles covers they'd like to share for a late-night Northern California community radio show (the more unusual the interpretation, the better for this show)? If I get an hour's worth, the show will go on.
    Joe Cocker did some great ones. Something, Let It Be, She Came in through the Bathroom Window, I'll Cry Instead (very early studio) and more. Some might have only been done live. I have a live version of him doing Lennon's Isolation, but I don't know if it's officially released.

Hell, you can do a whole show of Cocker's covers I'd bet.

Gov't Mule did a really good cover of She Said She Said in many concerts. The one I saw was total psych and about 15 minutes long.

Yes, played "I'm Down" during the '76 (?) tour.

^^ Oh, I guess you're looking for members' versions.

My favorite is the "Hey Jude" album because of Paperback Writer.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Oh, I guess you're looking for members' versions.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, ronmac. I really am looking primarily for home recorded/PE members' versions for this show, but I do find your suggestions are uniquely intriguing. Regards your responses, I attended several Yes performances during the 1970's, even hung out a bit with some of the band members in Oakland during the Going For The One tour, and I've heard lots of concert recordings over the years too, but I NEVER have heard a recording them playing I'm Down. Is such a thing online somewhere I could hear it?

Thanks for all the suggestions, ronmac. I really am looking primarily for home recorded/PE members' versions for this show, but I do find your suggestions are uniquely intriguing. Regards your responses, I attended several Yes performances during the 1970's, even hung out a bit with some of the band members in Oakland during the Going For The One tour, and I've heard lots of concert recordings over the years too, but I NEVER have heard a recording them playing I'm Down. Is such a thing online somewhere I could hear it?
    This is on disc 3 of the YesYears boxed set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3kvTGNrug

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    This is on disc 3 of the YesYears boxed set:
    Thanks musicislife. Very interesting hearing Anderson trying to sound like McCartney, who was trying to sound like Little Richard.

Thanks musicislife. Very interesting hearing Anderson trying to sound like McCartney, who was trying to sound like Little Richard.
    LOL. The influences always reach forever backward. That venue (Roosevelt Stadium) was the worst of the worst in the NY tri-state area - a real shithole if there ever was one. One of my cousins went to that concert, and afterwards said that he wouldn't return even if God were playing there

It was broadcast on the radio at the time. I believe someone was killed at that concert!

They also did 'Eleanor Rigby' very early on but it never made it to a record.

I noticed someone mentioned the long hair look on Rubber Soul. So I'm thinking "Was it The Beatles who started the long hair thing or did they give it world wide attention and then everyone jumped on board?"

Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It was broadcast on the radio at the time. I believe someone was killed at that concert!

They also did 'Eleanor Rigby' very early on but it never made it to a record.
    Yup. It was located in Jersey City, NJ which was always quite dicey back then (similar to what Asbury Park was like at the time). Even today (post gentrification), it isn't exactly my idea of paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    ... long hair look on Rubber Soul.
    I bought it the week it was released and thought "holy shit." But it wasn't only the hair, it was the un-fab-countenance on their fish-eyed faces that said, "We're not fucking around." Indeed.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Saw the Abbey Road tour at Washington Township High School in New Jersey. It was actually decent. Never been fond of Beatles tribute acts. Aside from Badfinger and the influence I hear in 10 CC...or even a couple of Klatuu songs, I dislike it, but this was different. Ann Wilson and Alan Parsons played harmony flute on "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", Todd Rundgren did a great version of "My Guitar Gently Weeps" and a few songs from the Help period, then was intermission. Then John Entwistle came on stage with a bassist and guitarist/vocalist and they played a Who medley. They began with "Can You See The Real Me" and powered up this outstanding arrangement of Who songs with tight breaks. Then the entire band entered the stage to play Abbey Road. Good show.

On their early albums, vocals sound flat. I think this was taken to imitation, too. ELO comes to mind, first of all.

With The Beatles felt like a bunch of young British guys doing their own interpretation of American Rock N'Roll with some original songs of their own. There were no singles on the album and it contained some kind of stripped down....down to earth...vibe sensed throughout the album. It was actually cool because it didn't contain hit singles ...but instead revealed a different side to The Beatles that many American kids in "64/'65 were not in touch with. When Meet The Beatles came out in the U.S. it had more of a marketing process behind it by adding a single and altering tracks ..minus some from With The Beatles. So IMO...I don't believe that many Americans realized The Beatles wanted that album to sound different unless they bought the British import. Then the on going subdivisions labels shifting Beatle records around. I recall having Beatles records on the Swan label, Tollie Records and Vee Jay. The Beatles vs The Four Seasons ...very silly marketing concepts