Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zappa releases

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So your Uncle Meat Project/Object is probably scattered across Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and YCDTOSA Vols. 1 and 5, I think.
    Nonetheless, Ahmet confirmed during the recent Kickstarter campaign that an Uncle Meat P/O was in the works. Zappa was prolific enough that there is still plenty of material from that era that has yet to see the light of day. For example, "Boogie for Berkeley" has still never been officially released.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

From the July 20 1968 issue of Rolling Stone magazine:

"ROLLING STONE: Are you recording at all now?

ZAPPA: We have 2 albums in the can. [One is Cruising with Ruben & the Jets] The other is No Commercial Potential - a 3-record set. Six sides. It has such 8-minute tidbits as police busting our recording session. New York cops! Live! In person! You can't dance to it! It also has a piece where Jimmy Carl Black, the Indian of the group, is bitching because we are not making any money, and it's taking too long for the band to make it. 2 songs about El Monte Legion Stadium. A song about fake IDs. Another song about teats. A surrealistic R&B song called "The Air Escaping from Your Mouth". 2 other surrealistic things: "Mr Green Genes" and "Electric Aunt Jemima". Lots of instrumentals. On one song, we used 40 tracks and the tune lasts 90 seconds.That took us 4 days to put together. It'll probably be released in the fall."

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/pati...rcialpotential

Well, Envelopes could have been released on any album, it didn't have to be on Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch. It could have been on Man From Utopia, or FZ Meets The Mothers Of Prevention, etc.

I just think that suite, as it occurred on the 81 together flowed together so well, it's a damn shame Frank felt compelled to break it up on the official releases the way he did. And there's never even been a live release that presents the music as it was played (maybe because Frank insisted on at least two occasions that I know of that Drowning Witch was never played correctly, and thus there's the view that releasing something like the Ritz 81 would entail releasing something that "isn't up to Frank's standards" or whatever.
    Joe posted online a year or two ago that a Ritz 81 release could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Nonetheless, Ahmet confirmed during the recent Kickstarter campaign that an Uncle Meat P/O was in the works. Zappa was prolific enough that there is still plenty of material from that era that has yet to see the light of day. For example, "Boogie for Berkeley" has still never been officially released.
    Well, it'll be interesting what they can come up with.

I remember in one of his last big interviews, Frank said that with the conclusion of the YCDTOSA series, he didn't think there'd be many things archival things released after that, simply because he had exhausted all the unreleased compositions (or so he said at the time). He felt that anything he put out after that would be "just another version of King Kong" or "just another version of Pound For A Brown", and he wasn't sure how much of a market there was for something like that.

Of course, history has since proven that there is indeed a market for "just another version of..." archival live releases.

Now, whether or not Frank's assertion that "I've released all the compositions" is another issue. Obviously, there were plenty of Synclavier pieces that were still unreleased at the time of Frank's death, so presumably he was referring specifically to stuff that was played onstage by the various bands. But I think even there, there's stuff that's appeared on various releases in the last 10 or so years that hadn't been released before, right? Or maybe Frank felt that the sound quality on some of the stuff he didn't put out wasn't up to snuff. Anyway, I'm interested to know what the Uncle Meat P/O ends up being.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-12-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    From the July 20 1968 issue of Rolling Stone magazine:

"ROLLING STONE: Are you recording at all now?

ZAPPA: We have 2 albums in the can. [One is Cruising with Ruben & the Jets] The other is No Commercial Potential - a 3-record set. Six sides. It has such 8-minute tidbits as police busting our recording session. New York cops! Live! In person! You can't dance to it! It also has a piece where Jimmy Carl Black, the Indian of the group, is bitching because we are not making any money, and it's taking too long for the band to make it. 2 songs about El Monte Legion Stadium. A song about fake IDs. Another song about teats. A surrealistic R&B song called "The Air Escaping from Your Mouth". 2 other surrealistic things: "Mr Green Genes" and "Electric Aunt Jemima". Lots of instrumentals. On one song, we used 40 tracks and the tune lasts 90 seconds.That took us 4 days to put together. It'll probably be released in the fall."
    Which obviously suggests that No Commercial Potential largely became Uncle Meat. But if it was originally a three record set, one wonders what became of the third LP.

But I was sure I had read that the title No Commercial Potential was eventually applied to a larger set that Frank intended to release a couple years later, around the time he disbanded the "original" MOI. Or maybe I'm getting titles mixed up, or perhaps I'm remembering something from a book where the author got the titles mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Joe posted online a year or two ago that a Ritz 81 release could happen.
    That would be awesome! I've always wondered if they have an uninterrupted tape of that show. The version that circulates is mostly a great sounding FM tape, with a really poor quality tape (sounds like maybe someone holding a mic up to a stereo speaker) being used for patches. One assumes Frank probably ran 24 track on the show (since he did that on virtually every other show) and hopefully had two tape machines running (so as to cover any gaps that might occur when one machine runs out of tape).

Which obviously suggests that No Commercial Potential largely became Uncle Meat. But if it was originally a three record set, one wonders what became of the third LP.
    The NYC cop track was on The Lost Episodes, and one circulating set of outtakes suggests that "Dwarf Nebula" was originally for Uncle Meat but later went to WRMF. Some other tracks may still be in the vault.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The NYC cop track was on The Lost Episodes, and one circulating set of outtakes suggests that "Dwarf Nebula" was originally for Uncle Meat but later went to WRMF. Some other tracks may still be in the vault.
    Or perhaps they turned up on Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, or You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore.

I don't remember ever hearing Lost Episodes> I kinda had the impression it was all pre-MOI stuff.

There's a sizable amount of really good unreleased material coming on the UM P/O - you guys will be pleased

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    There's a sizable amount of really good unreleased material coming on the UM P/O - you guys will be pleased
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

From your mouth to god's (and my) ear! Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

More Zappa is always a good thing.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Eeek!

I'm mostly excited at the prospect of the original mix getting a decent remaster. I actually had no idea there was any unreleased material from the period, but I'm not surprised!

I look forward to it. I haven't been keeping up with the P/O releases, largely because I'm not that crazy about the very early stuff (though I keep thinking I should have the Lumpy Money set). But Uncle Meat is probably my favorite of the 60's era albums (well, unless you count Hot Rats, Weasels..., and Burnt Weeny Sandwich, but even then, you're still talking top four), so I'm anxious to see what we get in that set.

Hey Mike... you of all people would know since you were in reality the very first 'vaultmeister'. That and 1988 were a billion years ago! "mupp"
    Music is the BEST! (FZ)

So- any reviews of "Crux of the Biscuit"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    So- any reviews of "Crux of the Biscuit"?
    I listened to most of it this morning.

The first four tracks are reportedly an early draft of one of the album sides, and include a version of "Apostrophe" around three minutes longer than the familiar one, which of course is very cool, along with slightly different versions of "Uncle Remus" and "Down in de Dew."

Then there is a short interview with FZ about "Yellow Snow" and then a very nice live version of the Nanook suite with the 1973 band including Ponty, Ian Underwood and Sal Marquez (similar to the one released on One Shot Deal, but unedited).

Then there are a few pieces titled "Energy Frontier" that in fact are alternate versions of "Down in de Dew" and "Apostrophe" (not as good as the master takes, but FZ has a good solo in the alternate "Apostrophe" and it is interesting to hear more of him with Jack Bruce).

The CD finishes with FZ and the rhythm section recording basic tracks for Yellow Snow and Cosmik Debris, the latter of which is an alternate version with a new guitar solo.

Certainly worth checking out if you like Apostrophe.

What is Down In De Dew from? I don't recall seeing that title on any of his albums.

What is Down In De Dew from? I don't recall seeing that title on any of his albums.
    It's an Apostrophe title track outtake and also related to Energy Frontier. It's on Lather disc 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up both of these new releases this weekend, but only listened to a few tracks here and there. My impression is that these are worthwhile purchases. The synclavier tracks I heard were amazing.
    <sig out of order>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Down in De Dew first appeared on the Guitar World According to Frank Zappa cassette that you could buy from Barfko Swill in the '80s. Some of the Guitar pieces appeared on that tape in their nascent form prior to Guitar's release.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/pati...ml#guitarworld

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/pati...itarworld.html

Lather

Just passing this on -

New releases in October:
    Little Dots - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1LZ4..._HqkVxbJ5EDHMC
    Chicago '78 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1LYU..._FqkVxbTFB2XQE
    Meat Light: The Uncle Meat Project/Object -
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1M62..._vqkVxbFAXNGKA

Fuck fuckin' yeah! Fuck!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Just passing this on -

New releases in October:
    Little Dots - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1LZ4..._HqkVxbJ5EDHMC
    Chicago '78 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1LYU..._FqkVxbTFB2XQE
    Meat Light: The Uncle Meat Project/Object -
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVH1M62..._vqkVxbFAXNGKA
    Holy fuck yeah indeed!