Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The hiking thread

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I can’t imagine in Az on a day with a high of 115 (low of 90), that would be worse than a day in Baltimore with a high of 95 and 98% humidity, with mid 70s at 6 AM.
    The 98% humidity holds the temperature down to 95. If the humidity were to evaporate, the temperature would BE 115 in B'more. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Only if you actually did.
    I knew there was a catch somewhere.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Actually I was supposed to fly to the Southwest of the USA a little over a week from now. Bought my tickets already in january. Was planning a short multiple day hike in Zion. I scored a permit for Havasupai. Planned some long hikes in the grand canyon and Bryce.

None of that is going to happen. And those 400 dollar a person permits for havasupai are non refundable.....
    Damn, I miss going on a long good hike. This winter has been depressing.

I resceduled my Havasupai permits for November this year. I still have flight coupons for KLM and American Airlines so I still might do this trip this year. It will probably be my last big overseas trip. There are plenty of interesting places, mountains and hikes within Europe that I have never done and I really want to stop all non essential flying.

I've done tons of hikes in the past few years, as well as some mountaineering.

This was a recent short, easy hike I did with a dozen or so friends - an evening/night hike to enjoy the fall colors at sunset, at a popular overlook on the Appalachian Trail:

20221024_173604.jpg

20221024_180631.jpg

20221024_180658.jpg

311440182_10222023816084066_8121516218527025127_n.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Anyone else been out there in the out-there?
    Regards,

Duncan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

This was a recent short, easy hike I did with a dozen or so friends - an evening/night hike to enjoy the fall colors at sunset, at a popular overlook on the Appalachian Trail:

20221024_173604.jpg

20221024_180631.jpg

20221024_180658.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Annapolis rocks?

Annapolis rocks?
    I did see Billy Cobham there last week.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Annapolis rocks?
    Yep!
    Regards,

Duncan

Whenever I can my man! It's the best medication. You've seen my pics over on FB. I try to get out in the woods as much as I can this time of year before my leaf clean-ups destroy me through December.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Banned
    Dunkin those are absolutely stunning photos! I’ve got to get out there. Only place I’ve managed in the last few years is Catoctin park. Your pics remind me of that a little bit - especially chimney rock, but I haven’t been to Annapolis rocks.

I will keep on hiking untill my legs drop off.

Some pics of a recent 6 day hike in Austria;

45.jpg
    60.jpg
    92.jpg
    127.jpg
    136.jpg

Leaving in a week to do the Manaslu Circuit in Nepal. First longer trip in three years. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Whenever I can my man! It's the best medication. You've seen my pics over on FB. I try to get out in the woods as much as I can this time of year before my leaf clean-ups destroy me through December.
    I have, yes - always great pics!

I'm planning to be out quite a lot this winter. Trudging through snow and across icy rocks is its own special challenge - but it's the only training for mountaineering that I'll get here in the mid-Atlantic.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Dunkin those are absolutely stunning photos! I’ve got to get out there. Only place I’ve managed in the last few years is Catoctin park. Your pics remind me of that a little bit - especially chimney rock, but I haven’t been to Annapolis rocks.
    Catoctin park / Cunningham Falls / etc. are practically in my back yard. Great hiking out there. I'd urge you to try Annapolis Rocks some time - it's by far the best overlook in the region. There are short and longer hikes to get there - let me know if you need details, or I'm sure Alltrails.com has maps.
    Regards,

Duncan

I will keep on hiking untill my legs drop off.

Some pics of a recent 6 day hike in Austria;

45.jpg
    60.jpg
    92.jpg
    127.jpg
    136.jpg

Leaving in a week to do the Manaslu Circuit in Nepal. First longer trip in three years. Looking forward to it!
    I'm always jealous as hell of your hikes, and your awesome pictures!

And now - going to Nepal? Damn!! Remember - pictures, or it didn't happen.
    Regards,

Duncan

I was on Mt. Rainier last month. But mountaineering and hiking aren't the same thing. I'm hoping to get summit Mt. Shasta in the next year or 2.
    Regards,

Duncan

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    While I wouldn't call myself an avid hiker, the wife and I have been doing some hiking the last year or some while fulltiming it in our motorhome. We've hiked Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Red Rocks early in the year and we are currently finishing up in Zion National Park. We were wanting to take in Bryce Canyon but the weather is not cooperating. I'd post pics but I'm on my phone and don't know how.

Banned

The hiking thread

20221024_173604.jpg

20221024_180631.jpg

20221024_180658.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Your pics are much better. Colors had changed, but we had a very nice hike and I got to the rocks before the crowd.

Nice pictures, Chris!

I love Annapolis Rocks. It's a short out 'n back hike (with only 1 medium hill) - though I often hike there from the Washington Monument or from the South Mountain Inn.

We were there at (probably) the perfect time for the colors. It was a cloudy, gloomy day and the view was dull, then the sun broke through the clouds for just a few minutes to give us that brilliant orange display.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm always jealous as hell of your hikes, and your awesome pictures!

And now - going to Nepal? Damn!! Remember - pictures, or it didn't happen.
    I am now back in Kathmandu from a fantastic 3-week trek. I'll post some pics when I have selected and edited them a bit back home. Might take a while- I took 600 pictures and my wife around 400.

Nice pictures, Chris!

I love Annapolis Rocks. It's a short out 'n back hike (with only 1 medium hill) - though I often hike there from the Washington Monument or from the South Mountain Inn.

We were there at (probably) the perfect time for the colors. It was a cloudy, gloomy day and the view was dull, then the sun broke through the clouds for just a few minutes to give us that brilliant orange display.
    Do you visit Great Falls? That is what i really miss from my days in Bethesda.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

I am now back in Kathmandu from a fantastic 3-week trek. I'll post some pics when I have selected and edited them a bit back home. Might take a while- I took 600 pictures and my wife around 400.
    You are lucky. My wife takes 600 photos (or more) A DAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Do you visit Great Falls? That is what i really miss from my days in Bethesda.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
    I've been to Great Falls several times - though not recently.

There's a hike I'm thinking of doing next April that will take me right past Great Falls: It's a one-day 100km (62 mile) hike from Washington, DC to Harpers Ferry, WV, along the tow path. You start at 3:00am, and have to finish by midnight.

My mind says "Yeah, let's to it".

My legs are saying "Nooo - please don't!"
    Regards,

Duncan

I didn't post anything about a climb I did a few months ago:

Mount Rainier - a technical climb : crampons, ice axes, helmets, rope teams, etc., crossing snowfields and glaciers and 200ft deep crevasses ... and some of the most stunning scenery.

I went up with my son, and we trained hard for this climb for a very long time. Could have summited - should have summited - but ... see the picture story below

(Click to enlarge)

6:00am - my son chillin' out before the climb

Rainier_01.jpg

Every Rainier climber takes this picture - the start of the climb with John Muir quotes.

Rainier_02.jpg

Back view of me 45 lbs is f***ing heavy!

Rainier_03.jpg

Selfie taken during one of the (few!) rest stops on the first part of the climb.

Rainier_04.jpg

Me 2nd from the front, one foot (only just) in front of the other...

Rainier_05.jpg
    Regards,

Duncan

Part 2:

And then it started getting really difficult!

Rainier_06.jpg

Climbing through the night...

Rainier_07.jpg

And this is how it ended.

A few thousand feet below the summit my son had a medical emergency and they had to get him off the mountain - stat! Of course I went down with him, which ended our climb. This was him, in the ambulance, before we got him to the ER.

Rainier_99.jpg

He's okay now but we're both devastated that years of training and planning, tons of logistics, and thousands of dollars ended up with us not reaching the summit.

Maybe next year...
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 11-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

We're really looking forward to seeing your pics! I haven't been to the Himalayas, but a friend of mine who did the climb with my son and me (see posts above) has climbed to Everest's base camp. I'm as jealous as hell

Maybe I'll get out there sometime.
    Regards,

Duncan

We're really looking forward to seeing your pics! I haven't been to the Himalayas, but a friend of mine who did the climb with my son and me (see posts above) has climbed to Everest's base camp. I'm as jealous as hell [emoji38]

Maybe I'll get out there sometime.
    I've been to Nepal before. I did a 4 week trek through Dolpo in 2008, which is an extremely remote high altitude area. Very different from what I did this year.

Everest bc and Annapurna circuit are the most popular treks. Not entirely without reason but I always try to avoid the crowds when I am hiking. Thats why I chose Manaslu circuit . Its similar to Annapurna but with a only quarter of the tourists.