Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

The eons are closing
    And the ballgame is ovAH! - Gary Cohen

Edit: In Casa MudShark - we have mad respect for Los Bravos - we overclocked our bullpen to assure this success this series...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 08-07-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Also: the Mets winning a challenge to overturn an incorrect out call results in the same "out" runner being tagged out walking off field....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

My thought is the masses got this one wrong. A team of pitchers has an obvious advantage. There are certainly nine pitchers in the league who could filed reasonably well, especially among the younger guys. And I’m sure you could find two or three good enough hitters—Max Fried jumps to mind as does, of course, Ohtani—to put a dent into whatever shortstop-who-pitched-a-little-in-college the position players alone would put up.

Any thoughts?
    You walk the pitchers that can hit the ball.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Also: the Mets winning a challenge to overturn an incorrect out call results in the same "out" runner being tagged out walking off field....
    And the whole thing should’ve resulted in two outs due to interference.

Screwy series for the Braves, but they didn’t lose it because of one or two weird calls.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Twins had a bizarro call last night. In the tenth inning, the Blue Jays runner Merrifield got thrown out at home. The Blue Jays threw out a challenge and despite the camera angles showing the Twins catcher Gary Sanchez was in the right, the NY umps overturned it and ruled interference. That was the winning run. The rule says a catcher cannot block the plate until he has the ball, unless the throw takes him there. And that's what the camera shows.

"I thought it was a clean play," Sanchez said, via a translator. "He didn't use the outside lane, he went on top of me. If I lower my knee before I get the ball, or before the runner gets to home plate, then I'm blocking the plate. That's not what I did. I caught the ball and then went down to tag him. It's a clean play."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The Buster Posey rule is only rivaled by the Chase Utley rule for its stupidity.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Monty made them look bad yesterday. Yanks realizing Hicks isn’t the answer but I’m not sure a great fielding light hitting CF is the answer. Especially at the expense of a middle of the rotation pitcher
    They've been in a funk for a month now. Luckily, that had that big lead. But they need to get their groove back.

The Monty move puzzles me. Granted, he has sucked lately, but Sevi is on the IL, Taillon has blown and Cole is Mr. Homer. Very odd move. I still think they must have though they had another deal and it fell through at the last minute.

Hicks has three years left on his contract. I was in his corner for a long time, but no more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They've been in a funk for a month now. Luckily, that had that big lead. But they need to get their groove back.

The Monty move puzzles me. Granted, he has sucked lately, but Sevi is on the IL, Taillon has blown and Cole is Mr. Homer. Very odd move. I still think they must have though they had another deal and it fell through at the last minute.

Hicks has three years left on his contract. I was in his corner for a long time, but no more.
    Always was in Monty's corner. Great curve, decent arm. Bottom line is he has never won 10 games and will be 30 next season. Always has that bad inning or throws 90 pitches thru 4 innings. Never really trusted his stuff but since they are in a pitching crunch. don't understand this trade before the end of the season.

Never really on Hicks side. All the tools but never put it all together. Cashman thought he was slick signing him relatively cheap for 7 years but he's lost a step in the field, his arm isn't what it was, he can walk but can't hit in the clutch. A walk with a man on second is first and second. Walks aren't always as good as a hit. After 10 years a .233 hitter. It's not going to get better.

^^ Agree
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Red Sox starter Chris Sale broke his right wrist in a bike accident and underwent season-ending surgery Monday, the team announced. Amid fractured rib cage, a broken pinky on a comebacker and now this, Sale threw only 5.2 innings this season after posting 42.2 innings in 2021.

This guy is cursed. And maybe a bit stupid.

First inning triple play turns into bases loaded with no outs after a call to New York.
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-09-2022 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    First inning triple play turns into bases loaded with no outs after a call to New York.
    This is why replay is the greatest innovation in all of sports.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Keith Hernandez just said on the Mets broadcast that he has asked SNY not to make him call games against the Phillies because he doesn't like watching them play.

"As far as fundamentally and defensively, the Phillies have always been just not up to it."

Meanwhile, the Phillies have the 4th fewest errors in baseball this season.

How does it take thirteen innings to win a 1-0 game.

It is unfair for teams with better records than teams that lead a division like for example Cleveland and Minnesota both have a 57-52 record sharing first place in AL Central while other teams like Toronto, Tampa, Baltimore and Seattle with much better records are fighting to get a Wild Card.

But that is why the MLB Wild Card was expanded and recently, so many Cinderella teams have made it far into the Play-offs, I'm ready for September and October!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Keith Hernandez just said on the Mets broadcast that he has asked SNY not to make him call games against the Phillies because he doesn't like watching them play.

"As far as fundamentally and defensively, the Phillies have always been just not up to it."

Meanwhile, the Phillies have the 4th fewest errors in baseball this season.
    Be a bloody professional and work the games you're assigned I'm sure they are paying you enough.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Red Sox starter Chris Sale broke his right wrist in a bike accident and underwent season-ending surgery Monday, the team announced. Amid fractured rib cage, a broken pinky on a comebacker and now this, Sale threw only 5.2 innings this season after posting 42.2 innings in 2021.

And I thought the Yanks were bit by the injury bug. $60 Million for 48.1 innings too. An excellent pitcher who can't stay on the field.

Pitching was sharp by both teams. Some sharp fielding too. Then the Yanks played like a minor league team in extra innings with base running blunders in 3 of the innings. And by minor league, I'm not talking about an AAA team, I'm talking about the Little League minor teams.

Pitching was sharp by both teams. Some sharp fielding too. Then the Yanks played like a minor league team in extra innings with base running blunders in 3 of the innings. And by minor league, I'm not talking about an AAA team, I'm talking about the Little League minor teams.
    ^^ THIS!

I stayed up and watched it, since I'm in quarantine right now.

^^ THIS!

I stayed up and watched it, since I'm in quarantine right now.
    Hope you're on the way to getting back to normal. Watching Yankee games lately isn't gonna help.

I wonder if the quality of the umpiring will be addressed this offseason. I've seen so many bad calls this season. I know it's a hard job but at what point does MLB decide to do something about it. Don't even get me started on the NFL.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I hope at least he was participating in the PanMass challenge that was happening that day, but I can't find info claiming that to be the case.

Hope you're on the way to getting back to normal. Watching Yankee games lately isn't gonna help.
    fairly mild case, hanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wonder if the quality of the umpiring will be addressed this offseason. I've seen so many bad calls this season. I know it's a hard job but at what point does MLB decide to do something about it. Don't even get me started on the NFL.
    Seems to be worse than ever.

O's are tied for the last wild card spot. I know playoffs are two months away, but how crazy is this.

Rain delay last night and game postponed tonight. Can't lose ground but I'm tired of all the rain.