Page 132 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

^ Not me. I'm going to have my ashes pressed into a CD. That way I'll be sterile, and won't have to worry about kids in the afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Would he rather have that or be stashed away in a closet. I think it's a good idea, but I didn't know your brother.

Plus, his ashes might be in the ocean, but he will still be in your heart.
    The ashes of both my parents is somewhere at a field. I have some of my mothers ashes in a necklace. In the end both my parents are in my heart. I don't have much with graves, to remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've heard it is illegal to dump human ashes in the ocean (at least in Florida). But I think he'd approve of having his remains put in the ocean around the Keys.
    The US Navy routinely performs burials at sea. They used to bury entire bodies, but now can only bury ashes...unless their name is Osama Bin Laden. While I was deployed, a couple of ceremonies were performed. The ship would come to a full stop. The Chief Boatswain would blow his whistle over the 1MC. Everyone would stop what they were doing, face the fantail and salute. Upon completion, the Boatswain would blow his whistle again, and everyone would resume what they were doing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The US Navy routinely performs burials at sea. They used to bury entire bodies, but now can only bury ashes...unless their name is Osama Bin Laden. While I was deployed, a couple of ceremonies were performed. The ship would come to a full stop. The Chief Boatswain would blow his whistle over the 1MC. Everyone would stop what they were doing, face the fantail and salute. Upon completion, the Boatswain would blow his whistle again, and everyone would resume what they were doing.
    That's really interesting.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Ok, when I retire I'm gonna go to Key West with my brother's ashes. I'll go to Sloppy Joe's and visit Hemingway's House. Then I'll walk to Mallory Square and throw his ashes as the Sun set.

I spent a total of 25 years on merchant ships at sea. We routinely performed "burials" at sea. We did this only when we were ahead of schedule. It takes 2 hours to stop the ship, burial, then 2 hours to get it back up to speed....so a half workday for the crew. (mostly the engine department)

Our first "burial" we forgot to take into account the prevailing wind.....the ashes flew up into the air then down on us....after that we dumped the ashes at main deck level into the lee of the wind.

I do not know the criteria for burial at sea...the main office would just send the ashes to the Captain....We did bury a beloved past crew member....that one was a bit difficult as he was the ships Electrician and I worked with him on a daily basis for years.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I took the second Covid shot yesterday morning. Didn't really feel anything until this morning. I feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I took the second Covid shot yesterday morning. Didn't really feel anything until this morning. I feel like I've been hit with a baseball bat.
    Just a sore arm or does the body feel like it was worked over. For me my arm was sore for about a day for both shots. I started with a chest cold last week so my wife insisted I get a Covid test. I told her it was just a cold but she insisted, got the results Thursday night and it was negative like i thought it would be.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Arm hurts at sight of injection, fell kinda feverish and achy.

I am not going to post this on regular social media because it is not really for public knowledge, but my wife nor any of her family are members of this board, and it is relevant so here goes. My wife's brother and wife live near Dallas Texas as do 1 one of their sons who is married with two kids. The brother, wife and son were all ardent anti-vaxxers who constantly made their opinions known about COVID not being a serious threat. The son's wife thought they were all nuts and got herself vaccinated. A couple of weeks ago one of the grandkids came down with a mild cold. Within a few days the son got sick. Turns out it was COVID. The son ended up spending 5 days in the hospital very ill. His wife, who had been vaccinated, did not get sick at all. Then a week later his parents (Laurel's brother and his wife) both got sick with COVID. Her brother had cold symptoms, but so far that is it, but his wife has been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now and is currently in ICU in bad shape. Whether or not she will survive or have any long term impact is up in the air at this point.

Although I have known about 20 or so people who have had COVID, this is the first time that it has directly impacted within the family and of course the sad thing is that this did not have to happen if they had been vaccinated. Get the vaccine folks!

^^ Thanks for sharing your story, as angering and sad as it may be. People need to keep hearing about these needless tragedies until they come to their senses. Could you imagine if this country was so ignorant and foolish when the polio vaccine was developed?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not going to post this on regular social media because it is not really for public knowledge, but my wife nor any of her family are members of this board, and it is relevant so here goes. My wife's brother and wife live near Dallas Texas as do 1 one of their sons who is married with two kids. The brother, wife and son were all ardent anti-vaxxers who constantly made their opinions known about COVID not being a serious threat. The son's wife thought they were all nuts and got herself vaccinated. A couple of weeks ago one of the grandkids came down with a mild cold. Within a few days the son got sick. Turns out it was COVID. The son ended up spending 5 days in the hospital very ill. His wife, who had been vaccinated, did not get sick at all. Then a week later his parents (Laurel's brother and his wife) both got sick with COVID. Her brother had cold symptoms, but so far that is it, but his wife has been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now and is currently in ICU in bad shape. Whether or not she will survive or have any long term impact is up in the air at this point.

Although I have known about 20 or so people who have had COVID, this is the first time that it has directly impacted within the family and of course the sad thing is that this did not have to happen if they had been vaccinated. Get the vaccine folks!
    Thanks or that, SteveSly. I hope everything works out ok.

^^ Thanks for sharing your story, as angering and sad as it may be. People need to keep hearing about these needless tragedies until they come to their senses. Could you imagine if this country was so ignorant and foolish when the polio vaccine was developed?
    It is mind boggling to me, especially since I worked at the plant where the vaccine is made. On a hopeful note, it is looking like the Pfizer vaccine should get full FDA approval, possibly sometime this week. Hopefully that will convince at least a few of the anti-vax folks that it is safe and legit.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They aren't interested in logic or reason.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It is mind boggling to me, especially since I worked at the plant where the vaccine is made. On a hopeful note, it is looking like the Pfizer vaccine should get full FDA approval, possibly sometime this week. Hopefully that will convince at least a few of the anti-vax folks that it is safe and legit.
    FDA approval. All that means is the anti-vaxxers will then start to tear down the FDA and attempt to discredit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    FDA approval. All that means is the anti-vaxxers will then start to tear down the FDA and attempt to discredit them.
    Agreed, there are some people who will not vaccinate no matter what. You remove one barrier and they'll just move to another. And some of them will definitely die because of it. There are people taking a deworming medication for horses as preventative against COVID. You can't fix stupid. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rge-livestock/

In getting old news, why am I always fighting the urge to nap? I've turned into my dad.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Agreed, there are some people who will not vaccinate no matter what. You remove one barrier and they'll just move to another. And some of them will definitely die because of it. There are people taking a deworming medication for horses as preventative against COVID. You can't fix stupid. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rge-livestock/
    It shouldn't have to come to this.

In getting old news, why am I always fighting the urge to nap? I've turned into my dad.
    The de-worming medicine was heavily promoted by extreme anti-vaxxer radio host Phil Valentine - until he died from Covid a couple of days ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...tuary-1206303/

You can't fix stupid.
    stupid.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They aren't interested in logic or reason.
    Bingo.

A Conservative talk show host in Tennessee died from Covid, after previously downplaying the pandemic and the need to get vaccinated. Trump told his minions to get the vax last night in Alabama, and was booed for his effort.

Both my parents came down with what's likely a Delta Variant breakthrough infection. Both were vaccinated. A week ago today, some a-hole directly behind them came to church sick, coughing and sneezing the whole time. He of course couldn't be inconvenience by a little piece of cloth over his nose and mouth.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I might have my ashes pressed into a vinyl LP. That way, I'll be warmer in the afterlife.
    Make mine into a CD!

I think cremation, then do what you want with the ashes is the way to go. Don't give that industry any more $$ than absolutely necessary.

Steve, I hope your family members are better soon!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Make mine into a CD!

I think cremation, then do what you want with the ashes is the way to go. Don't give that industry any more $$ than absolutely necessary.

Steve, I hope your family members are better soon!
    I totally agree. In fact, I'm going to donate my body/organs instead of giving money to some funeral home. What's left will come home as ashes.

I was always mystified by that entire industry. The act of burying the dead is to feed them back tp the Earth from where they came. Yet, we do all we can to avoid doing just that with embalming, coffins and caskets.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Make mine into a CD!
    A box set with fondle potential.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm going to have Duncan distribute my ashes to all the members of PE.