Page 131 of 238 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Please accept my condolences Tony.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My deepest sympathies on your loss and support for all the rigmarole to come finalizing everything. It never seems to end until it finally does.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Mom passed.
    So sorry to read this!
    Regards,

Duncan

My sympathy, Tony. I know it's probably hard to see now, but better days are ahead.

Very sorry for your loss Tony.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Sorry, Tony. If there is a better place, she's there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My heart breaks for you, Tony. As corny as that sounds, I mean it.

There are only three members of the previous generation left in my family: my mom, my dad's sister, and my mom's sister. I don't look forward to the inevitable.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yeah, it's real tough. Thinking the person you knew is still in there somewhere.

Mom passed.

I'm done crying. I'd rather laugh.
    Very sorry for your loss.

Mom passed.

I'm done crying. I'd rather laugh.

Very sorry for your loss. Hope some better days are ahead.
    <sig out of order>

Ok, got the cremation set up and boy what a racket that is but these guys like us, we gave them my Sis's hubby there a couple years ago and it was only $1,100.

Regardless of the money aspect, Sis wanted me to pick out the scatter box and I picked two and one was what she put her husband in two years ago.

That leaves one and it was called Autumn Winds and, well, "Autumn winds and winter skies" from Rush's Analog Kid.

I couldn't tell my sister, I thought that would have been crass. She may have loved it, I don't know but I just couldn't break her heart any more than it already is. It's really quite pretty, though, even if we are very far from Autumn Woods.

Actually so very far from that it's funny but I think Mom would have liked the inside joke. I'm the funny person in the family but Mom did have a liking for black comedy. Sis is not so much but I don't fault her for not understanding Monty Python and the weirdness that has made me. Like when I put the hammers from The Wall on the car, she's like what the hell is that?

With your buildings and your eyes
    Autumn Woods and winter skies
    Open sea and city lights
    Busy streets and dizzy skies

You move me
    You call me

Yeah I paraphrased but it's still cool lyrics and means a little bit to me. I think it's hopefully fitting.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

^^ Beautiful, man.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ok, got the cremation set up and boy what a racket that is but these guys like us, we gave them my Sis's hubby there a couple years ago and it was only $1,100.

Regardless of the money aspect, Sis wanted me to pick out the scatter box and I picked two and one was what she put her husband in two years ago.

That leaves one and it was called Autumn Winds and, well, "Autumn winds and winter skies" from Rush's Analog Kid.

I couldn't tell my sister, I thought that would have been crass. She may have loved it, I don't know but I just couldn't break her heart any more than it already is. It's really quite pretty, though, even if we are very far from Autumn Woods.

Actually so very far from that it's funny but I think Mom would have liked the inside joke. I'm the funny person in the family but Mom did have a liking for black comedy. Sis is not so much but I don't fault her for not understanding Monty Python and the weirdness that has made me. Like when I put the hammers from The Wall on the car, she's like what the hell is that?

With your buildings and your eyes
    Autumn Woods and winter skies
    Open sea and city lights
    Busy streets and dizzy skies

You move me
    You call me

Yeah I paraphrased but it's still cool lyrics and means a little bit to me. I think it's hopefully fitting.
    When my mother passed in January of 2020 the cremation was around $875. I couldn't justify $10,000 for a funeral for just my immediate family and one cousin on my mother's side. When we got there they brought out the wrong urn the first time. I guess you get what you pay for.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

So well stated Tony. I lost my mom and dad within 3 days of each other - after an over 50 year marriage. I still miss then even though that was 10 years ago. My dad went second, after he heard mom died, his heart was broken and he gave up. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    So well stated Tony. I lost my mom and dad within 3 days of each other - after an over 50 year marriage. I still miss then even though that was 10 years ago. My dad went second, after he heard mom died, his heart was broken and he gave up. RIP.
    Jeez I thought I had it rough when my mother-in-law and father-in-law died 8 months apart. She passed within 10 days of a lung cancer diagnosis and her first chemo session overwhelmed her. He had Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and lymphoma and died in a nursing home as we were trying to get my wife and sister-in-law’s lives back on track. They are Jewish and When we were sitting shiva we heard a knock at the door, I answered assuming it was a friend or relative paying their respects. It was a guy serving us with papers from the nursing home suing us for $40,000 - gotta love the American medical system.

Loosing loved ones is always hard, no mather how old they were.
    My mom died in December 2002, aged 78 and I still miss her. Perhaps not as much as earlier, but she is still in my mind. She was a very active lady when she was still alive and she died very suddenly. When she died I got a lot of support on PE.
    My dad died in Dezember last year, aged 92. The last year his health was deterioting a bit and sometime he was a bid confused.
    I could change the title of a Green Day song to 'Wake me up when Dezember ends'.

My aunt (my mother's sister) died on my birthday, just a few weeks before her 90th birthday.

Today I met a lady who live near me. I used to ran into her occasionally, but this time, I hadn't seen her for at least 9 months. We had a nice conversation and she appeared to 1 year older than I am. Her health is defenitly not as good as mine, driving an invalid scooter (if that is the right word). I suppose I can really count my blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Jeez I thought I had it rough when my mother-in-law and father-in-law died 8 months apart. She passed within 10 days of a lung cancer diagnosis and her first chemo session overwhelmed her. He had Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and lymphoma and died in a nursing home as we were trying to get my wife and sister-in-law’s lives back on track. They are Jewish and When we were sitting shiva we heard a knock at the door, I answered assuming it was a friend or relative paying their respects. It was a guy serving us with papers from the nursing home suing us for $40,000 - gotta love the American medical system.
    Unbelievable - sorry that you had to deal with such bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Beautiful, man.
    What's funny also is it took me a few minutes to figure it out. I had this autumn woods lurking right in the front of my brain after seeing it on the page but it took me about fifteen minutes to realize what my mind was trying to tell me.

Was just out doing some early morning raking before it gets too hot and had the song running through my head. The line "When I leave I don't know I'm hoping to find and when I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind" is kinda poignant. Has nothing to do with death but out of context it hit me a little bit.

I'd like to hope she knew what she was leaving behind but I really doubt it as her mind was oatmeal for so long.

Well, I do think it's time to move on from this subject. Ain't much more to be said. We'll get her ashes and spread them near where she wanted them to be but that area is now someones home. Just have to make do.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I have my brother's ashes in a box, in a closet. Not sure if I should give him a proper memorial, burial, .....or put his ashes in the ocean around Key West. He was born in Key West.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    .....or put his ashes in the ocean around Key West. He was born in Key West.
    I'm not in your shoes, so I don't know the circumstances - but this ^^^ is what I'd do.

Maybe I'd take a vacation, go on a dolphin cruise out toward the Dry Tortugas, and spread the ashes over the side ... then, in his honor, enjoy a great vacation in Key West. (Love that place, but hate the daytime heat. That's why it's a great night-time venue.)

Tough decision.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'm not in your shoes, so I don't know the circumstances - but this ^^^ is what I'd do.

Maybe I'd take a vacation, go on a dolphin cruise out toward the Dry Tortugas, and spread the ashes over the side ... then, in his honor, enjoy a great vacation in Key West. (Love that place, but hate the daytime heat. That's why it's a great night-time venue.)

Tough decision.
    That's a good idea. My problem is I'd feel like I'm dumping his ashes just to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That's a good idea. My problem is I'd feel like I'm dumping his ashes just to get rid of them.
    Would he rather have that or be stashed away in a closet. I think it's a good idea, but I didn't know your brother.

Plus, his ashes might be in the ocean, but he will still be in your heart.

I've heard it is illegal to dump human ashes in the ocean (at least in Florida). But I think he'd approve of having his remains put in the ocean around the Keys.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I haven't hit this thread in a bit.
    Condolences to TheLoony and anyone else who's recently suffered a similar loss.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My ashes are due to be tipped off the balcony into the sea from a pub in Yorkshire where we go every year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I might have my ashes pressed into a vinyl LP. That way, I'll be warmer in the afterlife.