Page 62 of 133 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Watching The Stones on Ed Sullivan performing their hit Let's Spend Some Time Together with Mick giving the camera a wry wink as he sings the song's chorus.

I understand that isn't the first time The Stones had altered lyrics to satisfy the show's straight laced execs. I can't remember the others though
    That's the only one I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. I remember seeing a clip where Mick sort of rolls his eyes at the camera as he sings, "Let's spend some time together".

I remember some people debating The Stones vs. The Doors, on the basis of their respective Sullivan Show appearances. Mick sang what the censors wanted him to sing, Morrison didn't. And there seemed to be some logic that The Doors were therefore...what? More subversive, and therefore, "better" than The Stones. I dunno if it was about subversion so much as just knowing "what the people want" or at least "what the kids want", and by then, it was obvious that what the kids wanted was something, ANYTHING, that their parents thought was revolting. What was it that Lemmy said? "Parental disgust is the seal of approval"? Morrison the adults would be in an uproar if they thought he was singing about drugs, so he went for it. On national television.

As far as anyone being a "sell out" or whatever, the second you get on a stage and charge admission for people to hear you perform, you've already sold out. You're already doing it "for the money".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Mick sang what the censors wanted him to sing
    ...and then denied it afterwards. He told Rolling Stone something to the effect of "I didn't sing 'time.' I sang mumble. Let's spend some mmm together."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That's the only one I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. I remember seeing a clip where Mick sort of rolls his eyes at the camera as he sings, "Let's spend some time together".

I remember some people debating The Stones vs. The Doors, on the basis of their respective Sullivan Show appearances. Mick sang what the censors wanted him to sing, Morrison didn't. And there seemed to be some logic that The Doors were therefore...what? More subversive, and therefore, "better" than The Stones. I dunno if it was about subversion so much as just knowing "what the people want" or at least "what the kids want", and by then, it was obvious that what the kids wanted was something, ANYTHING, that their parents thought was revolting. What was it that Lemmy said? "Parental disgust is the seal of approval"? Morrison the adults would be in an uproar if they thought he was singing about drugs, so he went for it. On national television.

As far as anyone being a "sell out" or whatever, the second you get on a stage and charge admission for people to hear you perform, you've already sold out. You're already doing it "for the money".
    After Morrison promised Ed to edit the word "higher" out of Light My Fire, but didn't, the producers told the Doors they'd never appear on the show again. Their response was along the lines of, "Who cares! We were on the effing Ed Sullivan Show!"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    After Morrison promised Ed to edit the word "higher" out of Light My Fire, but didn't, the producers told the Doors they'd never appear on the show again. Their response was along the lines of, "Who cares! We were on the effing Ed Sullivan Show!"
    Yeah, I remember hearing that story. As far they were concerned, they'd already done Sullivan, so being banned was a moot point to them.

What did they expect Morrison to sing instead? You've already pretty much exhausted the rhyming dictionary with 'fire' and 'higher'. Tire? Fryer? Lyre?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    What did they expect Morrison to sing instead? You've already pretty much exhausted the rhyming dictionary with 'fire' and 'higher'. Tire? Fryer? Lyre?
    In the movie, Val Kilmer's Morrison suggests "Come on baby bite my wire."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't think Jagger lost any sleep over whether or not he sold out by singing whatever he sung. The Stones' reputation as the bad boy alternative to the Beatles was a lock, something that both the Stones and Beatles found amusing. I saw an interview with Richards where he spoke of this and then said, "I knew Johnny Lennon and, he was no fucking angel." John still was not capable of keeping up with Keith in terms of "consumption". "Every time John came to my house he ended up going out the front door horizontal."
    Last edited by Jerjo; 07-26-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Does anyone know which of the three networks and what prime time slots The Three Stooges, Astro Boy and Superman held? What days and times did they come on? My issue is, I never saw these until the independants popped up. They had great shows. Does anyone know without looking them up?.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Does anyone know which of the three networks and what prime time slots The Three Stooges, Astro Boy and Superman held? What days and times did they come on? My issue is, I never saw these until the independants popped up. They had great shows. Does anyone know without looking them up?.
    From sketchy memory, The Three Stooges were shorts that appeared in theaters alongside feature films. If you're talking about the TV series that had the elderly Stooges with Curly Joe introducing the cartoons, I think that was a syndicated show, and so was The Adventures of Superman as far as I remember.
    Astro Boy was a syndicated series brought over from Japan. Now, off to check...

Edit:
    I was right about the Stooges and Superman. Those were syndicated shows.
    Astro Boy was apparently shown as part of NBC's Saturday morning cartoons from '64-'65 before it went into syndication until the '70s.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 07-29-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks Dave. I always like to know which networks carried what shows. Kind of a trivia thing. Interesting that shows were syndicated instead of being picked up by the networks for one reason or another.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    From sketchy memory, The Three Stooges were shorts that appeared in theaters alongside feature films. If you're talking about the TV series that had the elderly Stooges with Curly Joe introducing the cartoons, I think that was a syndicated show, and so was The Adventures of Superman as far as I remember.
    Astro Boy was a syndicated series brought over from Japan. Now, off to check...

Edit:
    I was right about the Stooges and Superman. Those were syndicated shows.
    Astro Boy was apparently shown as part of NBC's Saturday morning cartoons from '64-'65 before it went into syndication until the '70s.
    The Little Rascals were also 1930s shorts, which found their way into TV syndication.

Watching Barney Milla. So so fucking, grimey, urban New York. Hilarious....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Barney Milla. So so fucking, grimey, urban New York. Hilarious....
    I read once that Barney Miller was the one cop show that cops actually liked to watch, because they said it was the most realistic.

I always liked the gag where a guy is talking aobut TV cop shows, and Yemana says he doesn't watch them because "They're so unrealistic". The guy says, "Ya know, on TV, they usually catch the guy", and Yemana says, "Good example!".

And then of course, there was the time Wojo brought the brownies his girlfriend baked to work.

Barney: Have these analyzed!
    (Harris, already toasted, shoves one in his mouth)
    Barney: NOT LIKE THAT!
    Harris: Hey, Barn, I think these got hashish in them!

And yeah, I realize, I probably talked about that somewhere earlier in this thread.

[Quote] Guitar Geek: read they said it was the most realistic.

I've never bought it. Imagine a cop like Harris in reality. The only sane one was Barney. Hal Linden was brilliant.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Barney: Have these analyzed!
    (Harris, already toasted, shoves one in his mouth)
    Barney: NOT LIKE THAT!
    Harris: Hey, Barn, I think these got hashish in them!
    Kind of seems a bit out of character for him, or was that the point?
    I just looked up the show's wiki article... it went off the air almost 40 years ago!? Cripes. I think of it as more recent than that.

Has anyone here watched the CNN Sitcoms series? They usually do a great job on their docs. I did not see every episode, but I am pretty sure they completely ignored "The Honeymooners."

That makes no sense.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Three Stooges and chill.... ..

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Has anyone here watched the CNN Sitcoms series? They usually do a great job on their docs. I did not see every episode, but I am pretty sure they completely ignored "The Honeymooners."

That makes no sense.
    I have seen the first two episodes so far. I enjoyed it, but agree they seem to skip over certain shows and really focus on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Kind of seems a bit out of character for him, or was that the point?
    I just looked up the show's wiki article... it went off the air almost 40 years ago!? Cripes. I think of it as more recent than that.
    What was out of character? The characters getting high because they unknowingly ate "special" brownies?

Watching The Rifleman. Then Three Stooges.....

Watching "House On Haunted Hill" (1959) on Svengoolie.

Watching an episode Columbo with Johnny Cash and Ida Lupino.

When I was getting Netflix DVDs I got as many of THe Naked City as I could. Excellent location cop show with so many actors who would go on the much bigger things later on. Inspired by the equally excellent movie.

Both Johnny and June Carter Cash appeared in an episode of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Johnny playing a murderous preacher, if I remember correctly.