Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: A Gift To Progressive Ears - Now A Gift To YOU (Please Read)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Maybe not certifiable at that point...or maybe just in remission. Also, not on every cut--Slim Johnson plays bass on that album too.
    Are you referring to the Jaco performance, the overall content of the recording, or the production. Or something else. The sticker states what I said below. It is an excellent produced CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Are you referring to the Jaco performance, the overall content of the recording, or the production. Or something else. The sticker states what I said below. It is an excellent produced CD.
    When someone says "JAco was certifiable," I assume they are referring to his mental illness. As I understand it, this didn't really manifest overtly at the beginning of his tenure with WR. Not sure what "sticker" you refer to.......but Jaco plays bass on only Cannonball and Barbary Coast. The remaining tracks are Alphonso Johnson's work.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Oh wait......I get it.

The sticker says the album is a masterpiece. Yes. Okay.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

6 incense tinged discs arrived today:

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
    The Ed Palermo Big Band - One Child Left Behind
    Chicago Transit Authority
    Dmitry Shostakovich - The Jazz Album
    Tea & Symphony - Asylum for the Musically Insane
    Devadip Carlos Santana - Oneness

I didn't have any of these. Much thanks to Duncan and cheers to Chris. I haven't decided which one to review yet but I'll sure raise a toast to both of you while listening.

Got my package today! All things I don't have!!

Gong - Expresso II (not familiar at all with this one, but it's got Holdsworth and Bon Lozaga (whose work I admire immensely with Soften the Glare) in the line-up, so I'm already intrigued)
    Gong - Camembert Electrique (from the classic early period and I've only heard a few songs, so looking forward to hearing the whole thing)
    Aksak Maboul - Un peu de l'ame des bandits (no clue, but it has a cool cover)
    Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (haven't heard any of this, but I think this one has been mentioned favorably around these parts)
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up (shockingly I don't have, nor have I heard, this one. In fact, I don't have anything pre-Aqualung, and have been meaning to correct that, and...sometimes things happen in strange ways)

Thanks so much Duncan for doing this (and I've made a donation, as the postage to Canada was not cheap) and although the circumstances are very sad, at least I will think about Chris and what a warm, kind man he was, with each and every spin.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 07-20-2021 at 12:18 AM.

^ Oh man, that is a killer selection.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ Oh man, that is a killer selection.
    Well that's encouraging. Thank you. Looking forward to digging in.

Neil

Got my package on Monday. Was getting worried because there has been some porch pirates but all is good. Here is my list from Christmas in July:

CDs
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Jethro Tull - Benefit
    The Beach Boys - the Very Best of the Beach Boys Sounds of Summer
    Hamster Theater - Carnival Detournement

DVD
    The Brothers Gross - Sight and Sound

Thanks again to Duncan and all the people who helped for this incredibly generous act. Rest in Peace Chris, your thoughtfulness touched a lot of people.
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-20-2021 at 03:42 AM.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    The more I see these posts, the more I'm afraid the good stuff is already gone! Waiting for my package to arrive. US -> Europe can take a few weeks.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Got my package today! All things I don't have!!

Gong - Expresso II (not familiar at all with this one, but it's got Holdsworth and Bon Lozaga (whose work I admire immensely with Soften the Glare) in the line-up, so I'm already intrigued)
    Gong - Camembert Electrique (from the classic early period and I've only heard a few songs, so looking forward to hearing the whole thing)
    Aksak Maboul - Un peu de l'ame des bandits (no clue, but it has a cool cover)
    Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (haven't heard any of this, but I think this one has been mentioned favorably around these parts)
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up (shockingly I don't have, nor have I heard, this one. In fact, I don't have anything pre-Aqualung, and have been meaning to correct that, and...sometimes things happen in strange ways)

Thanks so much Duncan for doing this (and I've made a donation, as the postage to Canada was not cheap) and although the circumstances are very sad, at least I will think about Chris and what a warm, kind man he was, with each and every spin.

Neil
    Great selection. Let me know what you think of the Aksak Maboul
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-20-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    The more I see these posts, the more I'm afraid the good stuff is already gone! Waiting for my package to arrive. US -> Europe can take a few weeks.
    Caveat to those in Europe :

Unfortunately, we had to trim down the number of CDs sent to our European destinations, to try to trim costs as far as possible.

Most contained just 4 CDs, and one package contained just 3.

It killed me to send just 3 CDs to one member, but that was the end of the collection. I have no idea who it was that received just 3 albums, but accept my apologies in advance.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hi Duncan - Thanks so much, received my package today (pretty swiftly):

1) Beat Circus - Boy From Black Mountain
    2) Finisterre - In Lime
    3) French TV - Pardon My French
    4) Flower Kings - Stardust We Are

Thanks to Chris for such a generous offer to the community!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-20-2021 at 01:58 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    Hi ! Thanks for asking. I am doing well. Currently working on several projects in my home studio. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me (I added you as a 'friend' yesterday'). My old account lives on my PC, and after the studio was built I switched to Mac and have long forgotten my password to the 'zombywoof' account, which was attached to an email account that no longer exists.
    Hey Ian, it's great to hear from you again! Glad that you've been keeping busy with the studio work too. That old Cardiacs thread is still going -- I have fond memories of talking with you, Frank, Joost (and others) there as I was discovering Cardiacs and Tim Smith ~6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shedsounds View Post
    [...] sometimes I find my old posts and say "OMG, I can't believe I said THAT" :-P
    You're definitely not alone there. Sometimes this happens to me the day after I write something.

Just listening to the first track of French TV. Excellent violin work and the music sounds quite nice (was expecting something more inaccessible/esoteric). If the album continues along these lines, I like it!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Listening more - it gets weirder. I'm not sure if I like it. I can honestly say I quite liked the firs tune. As the music went on, it sounds like music you'd hear at the circus on a bad acid trip.

In all seriousness, I can see these guys are talented musicians, I just can't get into it. I'll keep trying though.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-20-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Listening more - it gets weirder. I'm not sure if I like it. I can honestly say I quite liked the firs tune. As the music went on, it sounds like music you'd hear at the circus on a bad acid trip.

In all seriousness, I can see these guys are talented musicians, I just can't get into it. I'll keep trying though.
    Chris loved "circus music", it will become fairly obvious as the reviews unfold. BTW, Mr French TV, Mike Sary, is a member of PE. I love his stuff and there is lots out there.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Chris loved "circus music", it will become fairly obvious as the reviews unfold. BTW, Mr French TV, Mike Sary, is a member of PE. I love his stuff and there is lots out there.
    I appreciate Chris' gifts and, as I said, they're talented musicians. I'm just having trouble getting into the music on first listen. I'll keep trying.

The Buckley Bandwagon Of Music has arrived on the West Coast!

My package is a true A to Z selection!

Anderson, Ian - The Secret Language Of Birds (Promo Copy)
    Beatles - Abbey Road (Remastered 1987)
    Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase (Autographed by Jon Bouda)
    Gong - Angels Egg (1995 reissue)
    Woodbury, Brian - Variety Orchestra
    Zappa, Frank - The Real Frank Zappa Book with Peter Occhiogrosso

Of course, the first listen will be the Variety Orchestra.....starting with Garbanzo Beans...then Jesus Christ Almighty.

Carry On.....
    Last edited by Garyhead; 07-20-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Received my package here in France! I’ve got:

The Beatles - Revolver
    Genesis - Trick of the Tail
    Gong - Flying Teapot
    Camel - Harbour of Tears

Only the last is new to me (I don’t know Camel very well, I only have two albums of them), I have the first three on CD already (it was to be expected with a random selection, and those being from very well known bands!). I will listen and review the Camel album and I think I will gift the other CDs to my 23 year old nephew (who still listen to CDs, and like all sort of music).

Many thanks to all involved in this generous gift.

The CD's and Book have been in the house for only about 16 hours now......I smell the "fragrance" everytime the furnace fan fires up.....there must be a cd near the return air duct.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm a bit late to the party but I would like to be in on this (that is if there are any still left).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

How many CD's got mailed out and who paid for shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party but I would like to be in on this (that is if there are any still left).
    Unfortunately all CDs have already been shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    How many CD's got mailed out...
    Over 400, sent to 81 recipients - 68 in the USA, the rest in Europe and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    ...and who paid for shipping?
    I did.
    Regards,

Duncan

I know some of us, myself included, pitched in to help cover shipping. Did that soften the blow enough?

Your time and effort, in addition to Chris' amazing gesture, are certainly appreciated. That was a big undertaking.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, I covered the shipping, seemed the sensible thing to do. Big thanks to Duncan for taking this on, must have been daunting when first approached.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.