Page 45 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2217

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ahhh...I've started my life transition from physical to digital and I hadn't even noticed the bundling detail. Too bad, it IS a really lovely album...but I imagine the bundle will prevent at least some others from hearing the album (such as yourself). Their loss!
    I was able to order the LP from Amazon for $22.50 Canadian (the CD was $49.50!).

Wow!

I love the album. I don't think I "$50 is a bargain, where do I put my credit card?!?" love it though!!

Glad you could find it at a more reasonable price point! I hope you enjoy
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Has anyone picked up the new Gojira yet? My preorder arrived this week and I've spun it at least 4 times. My initial impression is that most of the material, 6 of 11 tracks, are Magma-ish, no real movement forward. But there are a few standouts, The Chant (video below), is the most creative, the opener Born for One Thing and second song Amazonia (this has to be the single) are good. The back half of the album is going to make a raucous, rockin' live show. Overall, Gojira are a great band that like many, started out experimenting and progressing, but larger label, bigger audience, and pressure to "earn" has had a dulling effect on the music.

That being said, I would never pass up a chance to see them live, and this year that may be twice.

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Gojira is a band I will always see live when I can, but I'm usually OK to wait a bit on the albums

The band and I have been debating an August date with the Def Tones at Anthem in DC...in truth that may be too soon for us collectively. We'll see.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I read a review this morning where the author opined that since Les Enfant Savauges they haven't progressed musically making their albums meh, but he would never miss a chance to see them live.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I read a review this morning where the author opined that since Les Enfant Savauges they haven't progressed musically making their albums meh, but he would never miss a chance to see them live.
    Yeah...there are actually a number of bands that fall into my personal "live I can't miss/albums are so-so" bucket

The one I'm currently debating is an early August show @ the Black Cat: Between the Buried & Me doing a set of various stuff and then a set of The Great Misdirect in full. I've seen them several times and they're never less than awesome...it's more just a question of how I'll feel about seeing a show by early August (should be fine).

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The one I'm currently debating is an early August show @ the Black Cat: Between the Buried & Me doing a set of various stuff and then a set of The Great Misdirect in full. I've seen them several times and they're never less than awesome...it's more just a question of how I'll feel about seeing a show by early August (should be fine).
    The same BTBAM tour hits my side of the coast Aug 31. By then I'll probably have already gone to Psycho Las Vegas. Deftone, Gojira and Poppy Sept 18, Monster Energy Aftershock Oct 13 (Gojira, Mastodon, Butcher Babies) and the oft rescheduled Primus, Battles and Wolfmother Oct 15.

Of those I'm most hoping for Psycho Las Vegas unless the lineup is drastically changed due to Covid. Fingers Crossed.

Haiduk will release a new album in 2021.

Exomancer (2018)

haiduk

The same BTBAM tour hits my side of the coast Aug 31. By then I'll probably have already gone to Psycho Las Vegas. Deftone, Gojira and Poppy Sept 18, Monster Energy Aftershock Oct 13 (Gojira, Mastodon, Butcher Babies) and the oft rescheduled Primus, Battles and Wolfmother Oct 15.
    All that and you STILL will have spent less than a single Genesis ticket

IS Poppy still opening with Deftones + Gojira? If so, I might risk that one too. Kind of scary but she'd be the tiebreaker between going/not going for me at this point.

NP: Anthrax.....Soldiers Of Metal.....

Quote Originally Posted by haiduk View Post
    Haiduk will release a new album in 2021.

Exomancer (2018)

Good stuff Luka, thanks for sharing.

NP: Nuclear Assault.....Game Over

First time hearing this group. Brutal.

NP: Nuclear Assault.....Good Times, Bad Times (the Led cover). Kickass!

NP: Tank.....Filth Hounds of Hades.

Cherry picked some Blackwater, Damnation, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries yesterday. Great shite, love this mid-period Opeth

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Cherry picked some Blackwater, Damnation, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries yesterday. Great shite, love this mid-period Opeth
    I'm a Still Life, Orchid, Your Arms My Hearse, Morningrise guy myself. All up to Watershed are in my wheelhouse. I have yet to connect well with anything past that.

I'm a Still Life, Orchid, Your Arms My Hearse, Morningrise guy myself. All up to Watershed are in my wheelhouse. I have yet to connect well with anything past that.
    Agreed.

Still Life and Blackwater Park are their best albums, IMO. Their releases after the Damnation / Deliverance dual albums are very good, but I don't reach for them very often.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm going through Nuclear Assualt's entire disco-graffy.

NP: Nuclear Assault....Something Wicked (1993).

I see them as the Megadeth of East Coast Thrash. Anthrax would be NYC's answer to Metallica.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 05-29-2021 at 04:45 PM.

NP: TANK...Hot Lead, Cold Steel.......

There's a very good instrumental prog metal album I came across by accident online recently that probably went under most people's radar from several years ago. The band is callled Joseph Magazine and the album is called Night of the Red Sky. I'm not really a progressive metal expert so not sure what I would compare it to but it has great keyboards, great guitar soloing, typical prog metal drums(which may or may not be a good thing but at least it fits the nature of the music). I'm guessing instrumental prog metal bands are at least somewhat rare so this was refreshing to hear. I'm still listening to it on youtube.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There's a very good instrumental prog metal album I came across by accident online recently that probably went under most people's radar from several years ago. The band is callled Joseph Magazine and the album is called Night of the Red Sky. I'm not really a progressive metal expert so not sure what I would compare it to but it has great keyboards, great guitar soloing, typical prog metal drums(which may or may not be a good thing but at least it fits the nature of the music). I'm guessing instrumental prog metal bands are at least somewhat rare so this was refreshing to hear. I'm still listening to it on youtube.
    Added to the heads down work listening list for the day! There are a handful of fantastic instrumental Prog Metal-ish bands, i.e. Russian Circles, Genghis Tron, and then most of Colin Marston bands, Dsrythmia, Behold... the Arctopus.

Added to the heads down work listening list for the day! There are a handful of fantastic instrumental Prog Metal-ish bands, i.e. Russian Circles, Genghis Tron, and then most of Colin Marston bands, Dsrythmia, Behold... the Arctopus.
    Well, I know there's a few such as Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders and of course LTE. I actually thought Russian Circles were more post rock but not sure. There was also a band called Pelican who were post rockish but not sure if they were more metal or even instrumental. Dysrhythmia are great but not sure they are metal or maybe they evolved into metal. I remember seeing them at a pre show at an early Nearfest and they blew away the 10 people who were still there. Lol.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Agreed.

Still Life and Blackwater Park are their best albums, IMO. Their releases after the Damnation / Deliverance dual albums are very good, but I don't reach for them very often.
    FWIW I'm in the "Ghost Reveries was the pinnacle" camp, although I like stuff going back to Still Life. And the title track from Deliverance is probably one of my top Opeth tracks period.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The band is callled Joseph Magazine and the album is called Night of the Red Sky. I'm not really a progressive metal expert so not sure what I would compare it to but it has great keyboards, great guitar soloing, typical prog metal drums(which may or may not be a good thing but at least it fits the nature of the music)
    Gave it a listen this morning and in general good, however the vocals on a few tracks are terrible whisper rasp monotone that I couldn't get into. They were rather distracting. Probably how many here feel about growled vocals. A few of the tracks, Holy Land and Wormwood on spot on Dream Theater, but good DT.

Gave it a listen this morning and in general good, however the vocals on a few tracks are terrible whisper rasp monotone that I couldn't get into. They were rather distracting. Probably how many here feel about growled vocals. A few of the tracks, Holy Land and Wormwood on spot on Dream Theater, but good DT.
    Just out of curiosity (and not that it really matters) but did you listen to it on spotify or youtube(or other)?