Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Word is out that Albert Pujols is getting released today.

His second career was pretty crappy.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Perfect = flawless.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

But he does not get credit for a perfect game because that's not how it's defined. It doesn't matter if you like it or not - it's just a fact.
    Could’ve said the same thing about Bumgarner’s no hit 7-inning game.

But no one did.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Could’ve said the same thing about Bumgarner’s no hit 7-inning game.

But no one did.
    Because the ruling on that is contradictory. If MLB wants to consider 7 innings as a "complete game," then it should also consider it a no-hitter.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Scott, what do you expect, consistency and logic from MLB?

Because the ruling on that is contradictory. If MLB wants to consider 7 innings as a "complete game," then it should also consider it a no-hitter.
    Major League Baseball (MLB) officially defines a no-hitter as a completed game in which a team that batted in at least nine innings recorded no hits.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Major League Baseball (MLB) officially defines a no-hitter as a completed game in which a team that batted in at least nine innings recorded no hits.
    Then they need to either remove the 7-inning game rule or redefine what a game is.

Was it considered a complete game?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Then they need to either remove the 7-inning game rule or redefine what a game is.

Was it considered a complete game?
    How about a five inning rain out.

The eons are closing
    Not a no-hitter.

The rule defining what is a no+hitter changed in 91. Unless you get nine innings, it wont count.

Even this one got removed:
    It also wiped out games like Andy Hawkins’ eight-inning no-hit effort in 1990. Hawkins’ Yankees and the White Sox were tied*0-0*heading into the bottom of the eighth in Chicago. With two outs, young ChiSox speedster Sammy Sosa — yep, him — reached on an error by third baseman Mike Blowers, and then he stole second. Hawkins walked the next two batters to load the bases. Robin Ventura lofted a lazy fly ball to left field that should have ended the inning, but Jim Leyritz — a catcher by trade — dropped the ball (it was windy, but the ball hit the glove squarely), and all three runners scored.*

Then Ivan Calderon lofted a lazy fly ball to right field, but Jesse Barfield dropped that one, too, and Ventura scored to put the White Sox up*4-0. When the Yankees failed to tie the game in the top of the ninth, the game was over. Hawkins was initially in the no-hit club, but the 1991 ruling — a discussion, no doubt spurred by the Hawkins game, and a rain-shortened six-inning no-hitter by Melido Perez 11 days later — booted him out.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

How about a five inning rain out.
    I believe that's considered rain-shortened.

The point is that they consider 7 innings a full game under the new rules. It's not shortened. It's completed.

I believe that's considered rain-shortened.

The point is that they consider 7 innings a full game under the new rules. It's not shortened. It's completed.
    A game is considered a regulation game -- also known as an "official game" -- once the visiting team has made 15 outs (five innings) and the home team is leading, or once the home team has made 15 outs regardless of score.

A game is considered a regulation game -- also known as an "official game" -- once the visiting team has made 15 outs (five innings) and the home team is leading, or once the home team has made 15 outs regardless of score.
    Yes, it can be both rain-shortened and an official game.

Bottom line is that the game was not perfect.

If you don't like the rule, become commissioner and change it.

Ed would at least be more entertaining as commissioner than Manfred
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    hmmm.

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Define entertaining.

No pitcher in history ever did what Means did. Yes.
    Baseball trivia time. In 1917, Babe Ruth started the game for the Red Sox. Walked the first guy, argued with the ump, got tossed and to top off a very interesting 1 batter game, punched the ump. Ernie Shore came in relief, the runner was thrown out trying to steal second and then proceeded to mow down the next 26 batters.

More Babe Ruth trivia. A few years ago I was walking in a field just outside Milford, UK, a tiny hamlet just south of Godalming (where Charterhouse School is, and the place where Genesis formed) and saw a plaque stating that Babe Ruth had played there. I did an internet search and apparently Ruth visited US troops stationed in the UK during the Second World War and must have had a game then. Milford would be hard to find on a map and it just seemed so incongruous that this baseball legend had played on some dusty field there. I have been wanting to tell that story for years!
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Baseball trivia time. In 1917, Babe Ruth started the game for the Red Sox. Walked the first guy, argued with the ump, got tossed and to top off a very interesting 1 batter game, punched the ump. Ernie Shore came in relief, the runner was thrown out trying to steal second and then proceeded to mow down the next 26 batters.
    I've heard that story before, but don't ever recall reading that he punched the ump. I'm not doubting it. I just never heard it before.

I've heard that story before, but don't ever recall reading that he punched the ump. I'm not doubting it. I just never heard it before.
    I remember reading it that way as a kid and thats the way a bunch of sites have it including MLB. But you never really know when a legend may overtake reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    More Babe Ruth trivia. A few years ago I was walking in a field just outside Milford, UK, a tiny hamlet just south of Godalming (where Charterhouse School is, and the place where Genesis formed) and saw a plaque stating that Babe Ruth had played there. I did an internet search and apparently Ruth visited US troops stationed in the UK during the Second World War and must have had a game then. Milford would be hard to find on a map and it just seemed so incongruous that this baseball legend had played on some dusty field there. I have been wanting to tell that story for years!
    Now that's a cool story!

When Richard Rodriquez struck out Nick Martini, Bob Walk color analyst remarked "He got him with a high-ball"

Another no-hitter last night.

Seattle was no-hit for the second time in two weeks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Topic for discussion: MLB should remove the Pitcher Wins stat. It's arbitrarily awarded and therefore meaningless.

Thoughts?

Topic for discussion: MLB should remove the Pitcher Wins stat. It's arbitrarily awarded and therefore meaningless.

Thoughts?
    They might as well, since a pitcher can face two batters in extra innings, get each one out and still get a loss.