Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes- From A Page- Released to digital formats

Yes- From A Page- Released to digital formats

I like this album, no disrespect to any other Yes's or line ups. Total respect for Benoit David, and Oliver Wakeman. Good for them to have made these songs with Chris, Alan and Steve.

Yes have announced that their live and studio mini-box set From A Page has been made available on all digital platforms.

From A Page, currently highly rated for including four recordings made by the Chris Squire, Alan White, Steve Howe, Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David line-up during 2009/10 which were then not used on 2011's Fly From Here. The four songs, To The Moment, Words On A Page, From The Turn Of A Card and The Gift Of Love, were all largely written by Oliver Wakeman, who was ousted from the band's line-up and replaced by Geoff Downes ahead of recording Fly From Here.

The new material initially surfaced n a Burning Shed-exclusive vinyl release and also as the first disc of a three disc mini box set which also featured the band's 2011 album From The Present - Live In Lyon, which was released in 2019.

"Following Chris Squire’s passing, I felt that the new music we’d created, but not released, should be heard and not sit unfinished on a shelf," says Wakeman. "And with Steve, Alan and Benoit’s enthusiasm for the project, I am proud to know that this music will get to see the light of day and, hopefully, be enjoyed by YES fans as a piece of previously hidden Yes history.”

The double CD album Live From Lyon was first released in 2010 and this edition restored “Second Initial” which was previously a Japanese only bonus track.

Just personally going out on a limb here, (IMHO), last best Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I like this album, no disrespect to any other Yes's or line ups. Total respect for Benoit David, and Oliver Wakeman. Good for them to have made these songs with Chris, Alan and Steve.

Yes have announced that their live and studio mini-box set From A Page has been made available on all digital platforms.

From A Page, currently highly rated for including four recordings made by the Chris Squire, Alan White, Steve Howe, Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David line-up during 2009/10 which were then not used on 2011's Fly From Here. The four songs, To The Moment, Words On A Page, From The Turn Of A Card and The Gift Of Love, were all largely written by Oliver Wakeman, who was ousted from the band's line-up and replaced by Geoff Downes ahead of recording Fly From Here.

The new material initially surfaced n a Burning Shed-exclusive vinyl release and also as the first disc of a three disc mini box set which also featured the band's 2011 album From The Present - Live In Lyon, which was released in 2019.

"Following Chris Squire’s passing, I felt that the new music we’d created, but not released, should be heard and not sit unfinished on a shelf," says Wakeman. "And with Steve, Alan and Benoit’s enthusiasm for the project, I am proud to know that this music will get to see the light of day and, hopefully, be enjoyed by YES fans as a piece of previously hidden Yes history.”

The double CD album Live From Lyon was first released in 2010 and this edition restored “Second Initial” which was previously a Japanese only bonus track.

I liked those songs a lot more than the ones on Heaven and Earth. Not to mention the live materials which sounds a lot better then the stuff on Yes 50 or A Royal Affair.

All IMHO of course

v

I didn't buy the original live+From a Page release so I'm just now getting around to hearing the material. Sound good to these ears.. one puzzler was Benoit's voice on one of the cuts Turn of a Card.. someone mentioned that is his natural range.. could have fooled me. If that's the case why didn't he sing FFH within his range?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I didn't buy the original live+From a Page release so I'm just now getting around to hearing the material. Sound good to these ears.. one puzzler was Benoit's voice on one of the cuts Turn of a Card.. someone mentioned that is his natural range.. could have fooled me. If that's the case why didn't he sing FFH within his range?
    From the Turn of a Card was actually recorded after both O. Wakeman and David left the band. That version of this song was released on Ravens and Lullabies by Wakeman and Gordon Giltrap in 2013. Wakeman basically replaced the electronic keyboards with a piano and used the vocal track from that recording. David sang in his natural range on the Ravens version- not trying to be Anderson or Horn. I’m pretty sure only Wakeman and David are on the Yes version.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I just downloaded "To The Moment" and "Words on a Page"... to think we could have had more of this. Such a fantastic lost opportunity...

Maybe if they'd replaced "The Man You've Always Wanted Me to Be" with "To the Moment," Fly From Here would have been PERFECT.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I realize these songs are at a slower speed, but it is really nice to hear Alan sound so good in this concert.

Wow! I’d been waiting for this to hit iTunes and what I heard is stronger than what I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Wow! I’d been waiting for this to hit iTunes and what I heard is stronger than what I expected.
    It's really a shame that it's just an EP, as the songs are pretty strong.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I want to download just the From A Page since I already have the live stuff on cd/dvd.
    The only option I have is Amazon with their sucky mp3 quality. I don't stream and I don't have a Apple account.
    On Amazon you can choose which songs to download at $1.29, but at the mp3 quality, not at that price for me.

I wish I'd jumped on the vinyl version when I had the chance.

As a sidenote, a couple weeks ago we listened to the cds of the live show with Oliver and David, and was reminded how much better that lineup of Yes was compared to what we have now.
    Sorry to have to say that, and of course it's just my view on the 2 lineups and not denigrating anyone else's choices.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^ Part of your preference has to be Steve and Alan being 10 years younger than today. Chris > Billy, Oliver maybe slightly better than Geoff, Jon D. a wash with Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I want to download just the From A Page since I already have the live stuff on cd/dvd.
    The only option I have is Amazon with their sucky mp3 quality. I don't stream and I don't have a Apple account.
    On Amazon you can choose which songs to download at $1.29, but at the mp3 quality, not at that price for me.

As a sidenote, a couple weeks ago we listened to the cds of the live show with Oliver and David, and was reminded how much better that lineup of Yes was compared to what we have now.
    Sorry to have to say that, and of course it's just my view on the 2 lineups and not denigrating anyone else's choices.
    Try 7digital if you can. They should have the lossless flac files. $1.79 each I believe. To me mp3(320) is equal to cd quality sound but ymmv.

Qobuz have it, you can buy lossless tracks individually, I have used them many times before..

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/fr.../l9nj624gad44b

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    Try 7digital if you can. They should have the lossless flac files. $1.79 each I believe. To me mp3(320) is equal to cd quality sound but ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Qobuz have it, you can buy lossless tracks individually, I have used them many times before..

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/fr.../l9nj624gad44b
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I don't normally buy digital downloads, but mostly in CD or vinyl formats these days.
    And I don't want to open up a new account for a one time deal. I was hoping they would do Bandcamp since I have an account there.
    I will check these sites, and once again, thank you.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I agree!

I bought this on vinyl when it was originally released. Songs are quite pleasant and better than the ones on Heaven & Earth but that is not saying much. Is it?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I bought this on vinyl when it was originally released. Songs are quite pleasant and better than the ones on Heaven & Earth but that is not saying much. Is it?
    I have it on CD, but otherwise I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I just downloaded "To The Moment" and "Words on a Page"... to think we could have had more of this. Such a fantastic lost opportunity...

Maybe if they'd replaced "The Man You've Always Wanted Me to Be" with "To the Moment," Fly From Here would have been PERFECT.
    You also need to get “The Gift of Love.” I think it is the best of the bunch. It is the only group composition and to hear Squire singing on something new, years after his passing, is so fun.

I like From a Page but I find it very unmemorable. I can't remember any of the songs until I play them again. The best songs could have been used to make Heaven & Earth a stronger album, although, being written by Oliver that would never have happened!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

The plan before Downes replaced Wakeman would have been for a Fly from Here without the later parts of that suite or "Life on a Film Set". That is, for a release with "The Man You've Always..." and "To the Moment".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I like From a Page but I find it very unmemorable. I can't remember any of the songs until I play them again. The best songs could have been used to make Heaven & Earth a stronger album, although, being written by Oliver that would never have happened!
    "The Gift of Love", of course, was used to make Heaven & Earth, or at least a part of it by Squire was used in "The Game".

Henry

Listening for the first time, as Borat would say "very nice."

My question is why is the CD set on Burning Shed Only? Living in the States makes their price very unattractive. Us old guys are the ones buying the physical CD. Seems like Yes would want this to be marketed more universally. I still would like to get it!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    My question is why is the CD set on Burning Shed Only? Living in the States makes their price very unattractive. Us old guys are the ones buying the physical CD. Seems like Yes would want this to be marketed more universally. I still would like to get it!
    Yes have self-released it. This way they get a way bigger cut of the sale price. The downside is that the distribution is a lot poorer. But a bigger cut of fewer sales is, presumably, more dosh than a small cut of more sales. This seems to be the favoured strategy for more niche releases, while they license bigger sellers (their live albums) to record labels in a more traditional manner.

Henry

But they released it to streaming now, which is the least amount of money for them for any format. Makes no sense....though I’m listening to it now on Amazon....very good!
    So much music....so little time....

I ordered the vinyl when it was new and it took about a month to get here. The sleeve was made pretty cheaply (it's already starting to fray at the top) but looked nice.