Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Old Neo-Prog Album?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I tried looking for something by this band when I was next doing some CD shopping, but I mis-remembered the bands name and ended up buying a Pentangle CD by mistake. I got it home, and was disgusted by it as I right away realized my mistake. Wha-wha-wha-whaaaaaaa...
    Pentangle are pretty great. I can't think of any Penfragon album I'd choose over the best Pentangle albums, and I like Pendragon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes it is, still my favourite Arena album. However, Arena is a new Neo band not an old Neo band their debut Lion's Cage came out in 95. For me old Neo started early 80s with the first IQ, Marillion, Pallas and Pendragon albums. And I always think of old Neo ending in 89 with the emergence of dance and indie.
    Well, Mick Pointer did play with Marillion. So, why can't Arena be old and new neo prog?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Pentangle are pretty great. I can't think of any Penfragon album I'd choose over the best Pentangle albums, and I like Pendragon.
    I like Pentangle now, but wasn't into it back then. I didn't even listen to it once I realized it clearly wasn't the band Fish mentioned.

I recently read about a supposedly "classic" neo-prog album by a band called ICU. The album is called "Now and Here." It gets some great reviews on Progarchives. It's from 1995, so not really old, I was just wondering if anyone here was familiar with it? Progbear?

I got a copy off Discogs, but haven't had a chance yet to listen to it all the way through. It sounded ok, but maybe not as great as the reviewers made it sound. I need to give it some full listens, but thought I'd see what people here think, if anything.

(For some reason my searches on YT weren't working before I ordered it, but I just found it. I had the title or the band name a bit off I guess.)

I recently read about a supposedly "classic" neo-prog album by a band called ICU. The album is called "Now and Here." It gets some great reviews on Progarchives. It's from 1995, so not really old, I was just wondering if anyone here was familiar with it? Progbear?

I got a copy off Discogs, but haven't had a chance yet to listen to it all the way through. It sounded ok, but maybe not as great as the reviewers made it sound. I need to give it some full listens, but thought I'd see what people here think, if anything.

(For some reason my searches on YT weren't working before I ordered it, but I just found it. I had the title or the band name a bit off I guess.)

I got it and wrote a review for a Dutch magazine. I also have their next album, which I also reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I got it and wrote a review for a Dutch magazine. I also have their next album, which I also reviewed.
    Cool, was the magazine Background? Or SI? What's the name of the following album, and how did you like it (and this one)?

Cool, was the magazine Background? Or SI? What's the name of the following album, and how did you like it (and this one)?
    It was SI. The other album was selftitled.
    I liked them both, though I sometimes had some problems with the vocals. Need to listen to them again some time.
    They have recorded one album before these 2, but that one I don't own.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 02-21-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Egdon Heath - Him the Snake and I
    Do you also have the debut?
    I like that one more

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    La Host - Erotic Antiques
    https://www.discogs.com/LaHost-Eroti...elease/4962635
    Has a bit of a Twelfth Night meets Pendragon vibe in some tracks.
    In fact it had Fudge Smith (Pendragon's Drummer) and Mark Spencer (who actually did a stunning version of TN's We Are Sane more recently!)
    Couldn't find a cample on YouTube (try searching Erotic Antiques....)

EDIT:
    To get an idea of the man's vocals AND a chance to listen to a great interpretation of this magnificent track in the process :P
    Last edited by Crystal Plumage; 02-22-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    Do you also have the debut?
    I like that one more
    Did I list Him, The Snake, and I earlier? I'm surprised, because I don't really think I ever did care for that one much. Hmm...
    No, I've never heard an earlier album by them. Well, if we're excluding Marillion and Pendragon, I'd still stand by Red Jasper's "The Winter's Tale" (or, indeed, "A Midsummer Night's Dream), or the first Arena album. Or Echolyn's debut.

Quote Originally Posted by CLOSE TO THE EDGE View Post
    Moonshine - Collage
    Misplace Childhood - Marillion
    Ditto

My two would be Jadis' "Across the Water" or IQ's "Ever".

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    T
    Red Jasper - The Winter's Tale
    The Red Jasper one is excellent actually.
    Red Jasper's "The Winter's Tale" (or, indeed, "A Midsummer Night's Dream)
    You might enjoy this live footage then

I really enjoy Sting in the Tail as well. The Unthanks covered their (Davey Dodds') Magpie and it's great! In fact they re-covered it together with David Gilmour just a few weeks ago!

Sorry. Back to the NEO
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

IQ-Ever
    The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
    Arena- Immortal
    Pallas- The Sentinal
    Jadis-Across the Water
    Pendragon - Masqerade Overture
    Spocks Beard- Snow

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    You might enjoy this live footage then

I really enjoy Sting in the Tail as well. The Unthanks covered their (Davey Dodds') Magpie and it's great! In fact they re-covered it together with David Gilmour just a few weeks ago!

Sorry. Back to the NEO
    So, has Davey Dodds had some success after leaving Red Jasper? He's not IN The Unthanks, is he? I've never heard of them. Very cool that the worlds of Red Jasper and Gilmour have intersected!

I would recommend Red Jasper's "The Winter's Tale" to fans of Fish's first two solo albums. It's a bit more simplistic and lower budget, but somehow I see a similarity in subject matter and also somewhat in vocal delivery and the music itself.

EDIT: Oh, I just found the Davey Dodds album - I didn't know about this at all! Cool - songs from both the two best Red Jasper albums. This is the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PMr6LygUEUmzfo

So, has Davey Dodds had some success after leaving Red Jasper? He's not IN The Unthanks, is he? I've never heard of them. Very cool that the worlds of Red Jasper and Gilmour have intersected!

I would recommend Red Jasper's "The Winter's Tale" to fans of Fish's first two solo albums. It's a bit more simplistic and lower budget, but somehow I see a similarity in subject matter and also somewhat in vocal delivery and the music itself.

EDIT: Oh, I just found the Davey Dodds album - I didn't know about this at all! Cool - songs from both the two best Red Jasper albums. This is the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PMr6LygUEUmzfo

Davey Dodds has released another really rather good folk albums recently. Toadstool Soup. Only eight tracks but all excellent.

Red Jasper were an excellent live band. I was on their mailing list and used to get several relatively long hand-written letters from Davey, each year up until he left the band. I'm delighted he's releasing music again.

The first two IQ albums are the only neoprog albums I still regulary revisit.

Multi Story's East West, from 1985, is well worth a listen.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The first two IQ albums are the only neoprog albums I still regulary revisit.
    When I read your posts, I see you squarely in the camp of avant music. I think it's cool that you opened minded to still enjoy some IQ. I'm a symphonic fan since my teen years in the 70s. I've purchased and listened to 5 or 6 famous avant bands and I just can't get into it. Still, Magma, with the tremenous drumming, is something I can get into.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I always liked (still do) this band (the are still out there)

Another good one Animator

A real favourite

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Davey Dodds has released another really rather good folk albums recently. Toadstool Soup. Only eight tracks but all excellent.

Red Jasper were an excellent live band. I was on their mailing list and used to get several relatively long hand-written letters from Davey, each year up until he left the band. I'm delighted he's releasing music again.
    What the...? I joined their fan club (I was the only US member), and I never got a letter from Davy!

of course, he might have left right around or even before i joined. It was after The Winter's Tale came out. I became friendly with Dave the drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When I read your posts, I see you squarely in the camp of avant music. I think it's cool that you opened minded to still enjoy some IQ. I'm a symphonic fan since my teen years in the 70s. I've purchased and listened to 5 or 6 famous avant bands and I just can't get into it. Still, Magma, with the tremenous drumming, is something I can get into.
    Well, i grew up listening to Neo prog. I really do not dislike the genre although my preferences changed.

I even bought the latest Pendragon. More out of Covid support then taste but I still think its an enjoyable album.