Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Name ONE guilty pleasure album!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Okay, in that case maybe I'd go with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I still have a soft spot for that one.
    Dave Grohl was recently asked which three albums should kids listen to as a musical education, and named Sgt Pepper, AC/DC's Back in Black, and...SNF s/t.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...-arts-55977477

The Carpenters: Singles 1969-1973. Oh yeah, and I have to add Carol King's "Tapestry". If you had the latter album in the 70's, girls thought you were sensitive. It was an ice breaker!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Whitesnake-1987 (S/T)
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Ember
    Ivan Neville: "If My Ancestors Could See Me Now" (1988)

His first album is a very California-pop affair, full of Toto/James Taylor session players and even a duet with Bonnie Raitt. Not a hint of the New Orleans R&B and more hard-core funk of his later career.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Ivan Neville: "If My Ancestors Could See Me Now" (1988)
    I used to own that one and quite liked it. Bought it at the merch. table after seeing him open for (and play with) the Expensive Winos in Oakland long ago. Got stolen from my car a few years later, I might just have to try to pick it up again now that you've reminded me of it.

Sublime - 40 Oz. To Freedom

I know I shouldn't like them but...
    The Prog Corner

Since no one is looking, or can rat me out, one of El Duce's finest... will probably have to go visit the red guy with a pointy stick for all eternity as payment for enjoying this one.
    R-1350703-1340464643-1694.jpeg.jpg
    Last edited by Bake 2; 03-14-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Oh Lori by the Alessi Brothers.

All I can think of, are the 1st three Starcastle albums.

Although, many here would not consider them guilty pleasures, I have to admit, despite some great melodies and playing, they come off a bit cheesy.

But besides that, I don't own any pop from any era, never owned any soundtrack albums, or any other genre that is known for having guilty pleasures.

Hell, I don't even own any Styx albums anymore.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Whitesnake-1987 (S/T)
    I see you Nelson's After The Rain

I even have the cd single for Love & Affection

Beavis....those chicks are hot...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    All I can think of, are the 1st three Starcastle albums.

Although, many here would not consider them guilty pleasures, I have to admit, despite some great melodies and playing, they come off a bit cheesy.
    Starcastle's debut album - Good album, no real guilt

Fountains Of Light - Great album, absolutely no guilt

All albums subsequent to "Fountains", not worth getting so I don't have them, definitely no guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Starcastle's debut album - Good album, no real guilt

Fountains Of Light - Great album, absolutely no guilt

All albums subsequent to "Fountains", not worth getting so I don't have them, definitely no guilt.
    It's when I compare them to much of the rest of my music collection, that they come off as possible guilty pleasures.

As I scan my collection, passing by all those avant-prog, Zeuhl, post bop, fusion, free jazz, avantgarde and contemporary classical recordings, and see those Starcastle albums, they just look a little lightweight, and like I previously stated, cheesy.

When I play them, I certainly enjoy them, but the experience seems to lack a lot of depth when compared to the rest of the music I listen to.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Duran Duran Rio and Seven/Ragged Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Excellent albums, especially Seven.
    Absolutely. And I'll go a step further and include the albums on either side of those (Duran Duran and Notorious). When I was in elementary and early high school, Duran Duran were all the rage, and a lot of people then (and still now) accused them of being more about image. But in fact they are all legitimate musicians who live and breathe music, and grew into talented songwriters. Their music is chock full of memorable melodies and they have a thick, infectious groove. John Taylor is a seriously underrated bass player IMO; I love his bass lines on those early records.

In fact, last year I read John's autobiography (which is excellent) and enjoyed hearing him mention going to see seeing Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, CAN, and Gong in the mid-70s (although his greatest loves appear to be Roxy Music and Bowie). And I recently enjoyed watching his segment on the YouTube show 'What's In My Bag?' - where celebs shop at Amoeba Records in L.A. and show what albums they're buying. Among John's choices were Red by King Crimson and the first Neu! album.

It's so interesting to hear him recount the way he and Nick Rhodes would go as teenagers to these gigs and watch the gear being unloaded so they could figure out how many trucks they were going to need and how many roadies they would need to employ for their shows when they got older and eventually formed a band. None of those guys ever thought they were going to become pinups in teen magazines, they just wanted to do what their own idols did.

Nope, not an ounce of guilt here for loving this music, this band is and always has been the real deal. And I say they should have earned respect by now, more than 40 years into a career that sees them continue to record new albums and play new music on their tours. That's a rarity in music these days.

This is still my favourite of theirs. What a chorus that is.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm going to break the rules a bit, if you don't mind. A song:

Hometown Glory - Adele - (love it).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is still my favourite of theirs. What a chorus that is.
    The coda to "Shadows On Your Side" is pretty intense, too. Love it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Absolutely. And I'll go a step further and include the albums on either side of those (Duran Duran and Notorious). When I was in elementary and early high school, Duran Duran were all the rage, and a lot of people then (and still now) accused them of being more about image. But in fact they are all legitimate musicians who live and breathe music, and grew into talented songwriters. Their music is chock full of memorable melodies and they have a thick, infectious groove. John Taylor is a seriously underrated bass player IMO; I love his bass lines on those early records.
    Nope, not an ounce of guilt here for loving this music, this band is and always has been the real deal. And I say they should have earned respect by now, more than 40 years into a career that sees them continue to record new albums and play new music on their tours. That's a rarity in music these days.
    I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above. I was in my early/mid-twenties when they hit, and even though they were nothing like most of the rest of my listening choices, I always found there to be more substance in their music than many gave them credit for.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Joe Cuba....Comin' At Ya.

The Partridge Family's Greatest Hits
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Great post, Progatron. I agree with all of it, and yes, that is their best song.

Asia - same

This album seems to be hated by most prog fans. I kind of get it but judging it as a non prog aor album (which is basically is) I think it's pretty good.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I bought Are we not men we are Devo after seeing them at knebworth in 78. Wham Fantastic in 83 after seeing them on top of the pops.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Are We Not Men is not a guilty pleasure, it's outstanding
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Are We Not Men is not a guilty pleasure, it's outstanding
    The morons couldn't handle the co-ordinated outfits and dance moves and bottles Flew

Its not really guilty but the 'Carpenters Gold' cd. Back when I was about 10 years old my Mum had the 'Carpenters - The Singles' LP and my Dad had The Planets by Holst. Later on they were supplemented by cd versions. My Dad passed away 10 years ago and my Mum quite recently so I have inherited them.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm going to break the rules a bit, if you don't mind. A song:

Hometown Glory - Adele - (love it).
    When we play Rumor Has It at work, people ask who it is. When I tell them Adele, they can hardly believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Asia - same

This album seems to be hated by most prog fans. I kind of get it but judging it as a non prog aor album (which is basically is) I think it's pretty good.
    Asia's debut actually has its prog moments. With each successive album, they became more AOR and less prog.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama