Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Name ONE guilty pleasure album!

Any of the first 8 Manowar albums.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Any of the first 8 Manowar albums.
    THAT, on the other hand , might just qualify as GP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

People try to make me feel guilty for these, but I refuse.

Lady Gaga- all of her stuff. It is fun and I like her style.
    The Who- It's Hard. Yep, Keith Moon is not on it. Yep, it is different sounding. I don't care, every song is brilliant on the album and it has the added bonus of a lot of John Entwistle tunes.
    Adam & The Ants- First 3 albums. See the reasoning for Lady Gaga above.
    Robert Plant- Shaken & Stirred. A really strange and pop album for Plant, but I'll be damned if Robbie Blunt doesn't kick total ass on it. Not to mention Ritchie Hayward's drumming!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

OK, being an atheist, I'm fairly free of the judeo-christian concept of guilt and shame (although I suppose that I'm not totally unexposed to it or "guilty" of it either). Heah sure, as a teen, I also hid that I actually liked a couple of Bee Gees disco-era songs, for fear to appear gay to the football team-mates, but I grew out of that dumb peer pressure

As much as I loathe country music (and I do!!! It's probably one of the things about Unitedstatian culture - I'll accept "Americana" term in this case - that I dislike strongly), I still wouldn't call this a GP if I liked it...
    Maybe you haven't done anything to be guilt and shame.For a moment i thought you would say,Highwaymen are great

Haha... guilty pleasure. Are they all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Many of you would consider this a guilty pleasure.
    However, the first album that turned me on to Gentle Giant from my classic rock upbringing....
    ....wait for it...
    Civilian!
    Not even! That's a great album, one that seriously needs reappraisal!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack

With you lot probably my Coldplay albums.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    The Who- It's Hard. Yep, Keith Moon is not on it. Yep, it is different sounding. I don't care, every song is brilliant on the album and it has the added bonus of a lot of John Entwistle tunes.

I actually think that's a really good album. There's one or two not-so-good Townshend songs (cough cough Athena, which is more interesting for the story about who the song was originally about then the actual song itself), but most of the record I rather like. It's no The Who Sell Out or The Who By Numbers, but for a band that was that far into their career, having just lost a key band member a couple years earlier, and were presumably already thinking of breaking up, it's not a bad record.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Adam & The Ants- First 3 albums. See the reasoning for Lady Gaga above.
    There's only three Adam & The Ants albums. I've never actually heard the first one, so I don't know the music too well on that one. But I dug the quasi-tribal drums and Marco Pirroni's spaghetti western/spy movie guitar licks on the second and third records.

Giorgio Morodor's soundtrack to Midnight Express. And some other stuff he's produced, like Donna Summer and his Sparks albums. I actually do hate the fact I like that stuff

A lot of Giorgio's work is truly garbage but a lot of it is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Apart from that, i suppose there's Pac Man Fever, I kinda still like that album (yes, I have an LP copy around here some place, a promo copy I fished out of the 2 dollar bin at Wax Stax about a gazillion years ago)
    Damn. I had passed on that LP on a visit to Wax Stax, and had intended to pick it up on my next trip to Coventry. I was crushed when it wasn't there.

The Cowsills-Best of the Cowsills

When I listen to music, it is my primary activity.

Therefore, I only listen to things I really care about. No time to waste on guilty pleasures.

But every once in a while, when I am on the computer, I will watch a few clips of 60's psychedelic pop, like: The Small Faces, The Lemon Pipers, The Electric Prunes, etc.

What the hell... it's fun.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Yeah, I'm not going to seek out a "guilty pleasure" for active listening. It's more of a, when it comes on the radio I won't change the station, kind of thing. Or if someone else in the car wants to hear it I won't veto.

Roger Nichols and the Small Circle of Friends

Oooh, and speaking of recent featured albums- Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    The Cowsills-Best of the Cowsills
    I just saw a documentary about The Cowsills on TV last night. Interesting story. I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't investigate their music a bit.

I was going to say that I don't have any, but then I saw some Mother Focus hate over in the Myths thread and figured I'd throw that in.

I figure prog itself is a "guilty pleasure," since most people seem to turn their noses up at it.

I listen to what I like and don't really care what anyone thinks, and my tastes are all over the place, without regard to genre. Maybe my whole music library is a guilty pleasure.

That said, I doubt that most people here would dig Sarah McLachlan, Sara Bareilles, Jason Mraz, Coldplay, Sugarland/Jennifer Nettles, Dixie Chicks/Natalie Maines/Court Yard Hounds, Green Day, and My Chemical Romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Maybe my whole music library is a guilty pleasure. .
    mine's a pleasure... no guilt about it!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

John Cougar Mellencamp
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    John Cougar Mellencamp
    That is freakin embarrassament !

Many a neo prog album (Yes, I'm serious. )
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 07-31-2014 at 04:34 AM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

there is no such thing.

ok … “isolation” by TOTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    John Cougar Mellencamp
    Actually, Scarecrow is/was (haven't heard in almost 30 years) a pretty good album

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Many a neo prog album (Yes, I'm serious. )
    ... Though Jester's Tears IS a terrific album.

The Kelly Clarkson albums - I love her voice and who knows? Maybe she'll do a prog album one day..... Not crazy 'bout the first one but the next 3 I really, really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I figure prog itself is a "guilty pleasure," since most people seem to turn their noses up at it.
    nah, thats just proggers looking in a mirror