Thread: Anthony Phillips interview now up on You Tube

Anthony Phillips interview now up on You Tube

For those that were having trouble finding it previously and are interested, The Two part Anthony Phillips interview for Cherry Red TV is now available via You Tube. The Harvest of the Heart Five CD Box set is released at the end of October to be followed by expanded releases from his extensive and wonderful catalogue

Part 1:
    http://youtu.be/pu4ThVbsubg?list=PLx...Jtcm3fut6IU-sa

Part 2:
    http://youtu.be/aLdDhZHxdKU?list=PLx...Jtcm3fut6IU-sa

Just listened to part 1, really excellent interview. Part 2 up next!

Mike

Yep, I've had lots of emails from people saying they really enjoyed it

As well you should, and kudos to Mark for asking good questions, in both parts. A very relaxed, informative interview, so bravo!

Mike

I agree, great interview. Mark does a great job of opening Ant up and making him feel comfortable. Interesting about Ant knowing and really liking Nick Drake as a person, and the challenge of playing quieter music to a Friday night crowd.

Half way into this.. thanks for the link... Anthony talks about GTR (first album) having ghastly strings attached to the songs.. curious if that album will ever be revisited like Let it Be was and have the strings removed..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Half way into this.. thanks for the link... Anthony talks about GTR (first album) having ghastly strings attached to the songs.. curious if that album will ever be revisited like Let it Be was and have the strings removed..
    And how everything had been in a nice stereo mix when everything was pushed to one channel, and the strings added to the other, and the vocals put on top in the middle, pretty much ruining what ambience they had.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Gosh, that was a good interview, very much enjoyed that. Now I really look forward to all the reissues and the new album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Is that the one with "When The Heart Rules The Mind"? I kid.

If you want to hear a good chunk of that album without the added strings, check out disc 4 of the first Archive boxed set. That's a treasure trove of material from that time, I actually really like it from time to time!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just turn the balance left on all the songs with strings to lose them altogether. (The stereo spread is different on the songs without strings.) This wasn't an especially subtle mix!

Personally I never found the strings that objectionable. These are mostly very slight songs, really, and the strings added some colour however 'pop' some of it became.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

If you want to hear a good chunk of that album without the added strings, check out disc 4 of the first Archive boxed set. That's a treasure trove of material from that time, I actually really like it from time to time!
    Yeah.. it's been a while since I spun that disc.. but remember when I first got the set I listened to it quite a bit and did enjoy those songs..

More excellence from Esoteric

thanks very much!

Yes, a great interview. Interesting that he really doesn't seem to like Wise After the Event and Sides, my two favorite albums of his.

very nice interview. for the wise after the event reissue it would be excellent to see it in it's originally intended form with all the interlude songs etc that were later put on private parts and pieces II.

when will we see the track list for harvest of the heart?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    very nice interview. for the wise after the event reissue it would be excellent to see it in it's originally intended form with all the interlude songs etc that were later put on private parts and pieces II.

when will we see the track list for harvest of the heart?
    Around the 18th August. Thats when Mark sends me over the sales sheets for October releases.