Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zep IV/HofH reissues

She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I was hoping for more live stuff instead of outtakes but I'll still buy because the first three sounded fantastic.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is he going to dump out the whole sack through the year..?

I'm only interested in the ZOSO and Physical Graffiti remasters. PG per Wikipedia is 82:15 long, too long to fit on one CD. Hmmmm...if they cut Boogie With Stu, it'd fit on one CD.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Is he going to dump out the whole sack through the year..?
    By the end of 2015, last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    PG per Wikipedia is 82:15 long, too long to fit on one CD. Hmmmm...if they cut Boogie With Stu, it'd fit on one CD.
    If they follow the pattern of these two and add a complete alternate version of the album, it could end up being four discs!

I'm only interested in the ZOSO and Physical Graffiti remasters. PG per Wikipedia is 82:15 long, too long to fit on one CD. Hmmmm...if they cut Boogie With Stu, it'd fit on one CD.
    Hey, leave "Boogie With Stu" alone! Cut "D'Yer Mak'Er" and put it on HOTH if you have to. I'll not mourn the loss of that giant gobbling turkey.

What they could have done of course is spread the 'surplus' tracks from PG back to whence they came, so that for example "Boogie..." and "Night Flight" go on LZIV, and so forth. Same goes for 'Coda'.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Hey, leave "Boogie With Stu" alone! Cut "D'Yer Mak'Er" and put it on HOTH if you have to.
    D'yer Mak'er is already on Houses Of The Holy, so no need to do anything.
    Anyway, let's not steer this thread towards a pointless discussion on making Physical Graffiti a single album by removing whatever track. It won't happen anyway...
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    D'yer Mak'er is already on Houses Of The Holy, so no need to do anything.
    Anyway, let's not steer this thread towards a pointless discussion on making Physical Graffiti a single album by removing whatever track. It won't happen anyway...
    To clarify, I meant put 'Boogie With Stu' on HOTH (although as I said it really belongs on IV), and put Jamaica somewhere deep and dark so it can never get out.

This has "wait for the eventual box set" written all over it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Cut "D'Yer Mak'Er" and put it on HOTH if you have to. I'll not mourn the loss of that giant gobbling turkey.
    But...but....it's the first time a lot of us white guys had heard reggae!
    Oh yes it will, when I download the remastered version to my iPod and burn the album to a disc.
    ...or you could love

Speak for yourself, I heard 'Hotel California' long before I first heard 'Dyer Maker'.
    Last edited by Halmyre; 08-01-2014 at 06:31 AM.

Plenty of other crud on that compilation album that can be edited to make it a single-disc affair

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Hey, leave "Boogie With Stu" alone! Cut "D'Yer Mak'Er" and put it on HOTH if you have to. I'll not mourn the loss of that giant gobbling turkey.
    Much worse than D'yer on the HOTH album (Crunge, Dancing Days and Ocean, for ex)... If you really want to add stuff to HOTH, just add the HOTH song to it (not that it's any good and will raise the level of the album, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This has "wait for the eventual box set" written all over it.
    Yup!! But I'll pass up on everything
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

none of these remasters included the previously unreleased tracks released on past remasters.
    so far the first set interests me because the bonus disc is a full performance from their first tour.
    as far as i'm concerned, the rest of the bonus tracks are just crumbs.

The mandolin/guitar mixes on the two acoustic songs on IV are quite enchanting. Ditto the instrumental "No Quarter" on HoH.

We were on the road last weekend and I stumbled on the roots/blues/jazz station of our statewide public radio. They were playing Neil Young's "Downtown", which was pretty loud for that station and of course, has a couple Zeppelin references. Next up, "Misty Mountain Hop" off the new reissue. The drums seemed to be up more in the mix, just sounding furious. When the DJ came back he was marveling at the sound of the reissues.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's good to hear. Looking forward to hearing them. Speaking of Bonham, I've been listening to him play with McCartney of Beware My Love from the Speed of Sound Remaster. It's interesting hearing him play with Paul. His style and sound didn't change much.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I'll be reviewing soon, as I did the first three...but they sound great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, it's what gave Sting the idea to ALWAYS sing with a phony Jamaican accent.

I love the song.

I bought 4th and HotH today, 2CD deluxe versions..have listened to bonus disc of the 4th. I have heard some nuances I hadn't noticed before - the acoustic guitar on 'fanfare' moment in StH, very clear drums and percussion sound in Four Sticks. Unfortunately, the track When The Levee Breaks hasn't changed absolutely. Same drums and guitar mess, as ever, no improvement at all.

Heard about this tonight when Jimmy Page was the guest on Letterman. Jimmy has a new book out too apparently.

I've had HotH for about 3 weeks or so and I'm just now getting around to ripping it in iTunes. For some reason iTunes/the iMac does not recognize the disc at all. Works perfectly in the car.
    <sig out of order>

If I were to cut a track on Houses of the Holy, it would be The Crunge. If I were to replace it, the logical choice would be Houses of the Holy.
    BTW, I have the HD Tracks 96/24 wave files for I, II, IV and HOTH. They sound much better than any of the vinyls or CDs.

I burned my copy of HOTH To iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've had HotH for about 3 weeks or so and I'm just now getting around to ripping it in iTunes. For some reason iTunes/the iMac does not recognize the disc at all. Works perfectly in the car.
    I burned my copy of HOTH To iTunes a couple of days after the release date with no problems.

I miss the days of listening to LZ on tape with all the high end hiss, when I couldn't stop playing their music. What a great band.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    I burned my copy of HOTH To iTunes a couple of days after the release date with no problems.
    Must be something with my disc. I burned a copy in my PC and the copy is working with iTunes.
    <sig out of order>