Thread: Hi from Tasmania, Australia

Hi from Tasmania, Australia

Hi

I live in Tasmania (the "Apple Isle"), the island state of Australia and i live in a small town in the more rural north of the state.

I'm interested in older music after hearing it on the local retro commercial station ("the eighties, nineties, Y2K and today"). I'm just beginning but am hoping to learn more.

I have medical difficulties stemming from genetic defects and medical incompetence at my birth. Principally epileptic seizures, but also a nasty genetic defect that causes a boy to strongly resemble a female.

It's hard to keep a smile on your face in my situation, but i hope to make friendships here.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Hallo! Welcome!

Welcome! I'm not sure how I feel about the "older, retro" music title being assigned to tunes from the 80s and 90s LOL! To me, rock from the 50s, 60s and 70s is classic, and stuff from the 80s and 90s is modern. But I'm in my 40s, so I'm sure others feel the same about music from the 60s and 70s. Hopefully we all agree at this point that 50s stuff is retro.

Do you have more specific questions/interests about the music of the 80s/90s? As you may know, that timeframe was not the heyday for classic Progressive Rock. Are you interested in bands like Marillion, Saga, or IQ? A lot of the "newer" bands, whose members often post here, got their start in the 1990s or even the 2000s. It's highly unlikely, however, that you heard their music on the radio in Tasmania.

Welcome!

Believe me, you are no more "different" than most of the people here.

Tasmania's Unitopia was (& still is) a favorite band of several people here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Welcome. Be prepared to hear a lot about retro bands from the far-flung lands of the late 60s and early 70s.

I don't know much about Tasmanian bands, but this old dog is willing to learn a few new tricks.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    I confess to knowing very little about bands from Tasmania, despite being Australian and having lived in Tassie for 9 months.

It's probably because musicians find they need to move to (say) Melbourne to get exposure.

This could be the place for you.

Welcome

Welcome to Prog Ears, Simm Simm! Please feel free to ask any questions about Progressive Rock. There are hundreds of us here who will be happy to discuss it with you!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain