Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jellyfish Remaster/Reissue

Banned

Jellyfish Remaster/Reissue

I caught this -- perfect! I enjoy Jellyfish. I prefer Bellybutton over Spilt Milk.

I wonder how much of the bonus content is previously unreleased material and not just tracks from their excellent boxed set, Fan Club. The article does not mention the bonus material as being exclusive or new to the public, so it leaves me wondering.

I have their Stack-a-Tracks limited release 2 cd record store day set (mine is #935) and think it's a great companion to both albums. For those who missed out on it, they have re-released the set:

http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/stack-a-tracks/

Available for the First Time! It’s the instrumental versions of Bellybutton & Spilt Milk.

Be quiet! We’re trying not to hear Jellyfish sing!

What to do after selling through acclaimed pressings of two classic albums on vinyl? How about offering them in a new way on a different format?

While recording their two studio albums, (1990’s Bellybutton and 1993’s Spilt Milk), “instrumental” mixes of each record were created by Jellyfish and their producers. Unheard and untouched for decades, these recordings will finally see the light on Omnivore Recordings’ Jellyfish Stack-a-Tracks.

Both albums, start to finish, as they’ve never been heard before. These versions of Bellybutton and Spilt Milk were created in the studio, at the time of their original recording/mixing. These are not “remixes” from the multi-tracks. To do that would have compromised the integrity of what was originally envisioned, potentially eliminating or dismissing elements that are actually there, yet not as audible under the vocals. This is not a “re-imagining” of what these records “might” sound like as instrumentals. They’re the real deal, transferred from the original 1/4″ masters.

After the individually numbered, limited-edition digipak for Record Store Day flew off the shelves, fans took to the internet begging for another run. So, using the same, new illustrated artwork (created for the release), this 2-CD set is now available in a jewel box to be added to the collections of power-pop fans everywhere.

Now, everyone can have a Stack-a-Tracks!

Banned
    I prefer Bellybutton also, but have observed that PE fans tend to state they like Spilt Milk more. I think I understand why, it's because of the harder rock edge, a 70s flair. Bellybutton is more 60s mod. I saw these guys in 1990 on a double bill with World Party, wow what show. Andy standing up and playing drums while singing vocals. I wonder what remastering will do for these recordings.

Prefer Bellybutton as well. I just got up to check if I still had it on vinyl and, happily, I do! (back then I was trading in records for CD's as they were the new thing and supposedly 'better') I'm happy that I kept the record because it's a promo with a foldout cover.

Jellyfish were the greeters for a record company promotional party in SF that was highlighted with a show by the Time. This event had meet and greets with many current bands of the time and seeing these goofy guys with big hats at the door added a fantasy quality to the whole evening.

the bonus tracks are from the Fan Club Boxed Set.

personally I became slightly won over by Spilt Milk a few years ago, but still view both records about equally.

I like Spilt Milk better. Heck. Someone had to! If only for it's heaviness which was featured on "All Is Forgiven" and others. And my favorite song from them has to be "New Mistake".

January 20, 2015

Bellybutton:

– Remastered original 10 tracl album
    - 26 Bonus tracks including…
    - 10 Live performances
    - 16 Demos

Spilt Milk:

- Remastered original 12 track album
    - 25 Bonus tracks including…
    - 19 demos
    - 6 Live & studio performances

Jellyfish piss me right the f**k off. When I write songs like that they don't come out that way

I have heard of this band for a long time but never heard their music until now.

Listening now on youtube and all I can say is holy crap! They sound like a cross between Todd Rundgren and XTC. Great stuff(so far). I'm listening to Spilt Milk at the moment btw.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Spilt milk, for me is hands down the best pop album ever crafted!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I have their Stack-a-Tracks limited release 2 cd record store day set (mine is #935) and think it's a great companion to both albums. For those who missed out on it, they have re-released the set:

http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/stack-a-tracks/
    Thank you! Kaching!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Thank you! Kaching!
    Great music to have on when designing!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have heard of this band for a long time but never heard their music until now.

Listening now on youtube and all I can say is holy crap! They sound like a cross between Todd Rundgren and XTC. Great stuff(so far). I'm listening to Spilt Milk at the moment btw.
    I'm surprised, Mike. They seem like they'd be right up your alley. At least you're getting in at a good time, with these new editions coming out.

I'm in!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This band was so unique and incredible. Man they broke up way too soon. I have always wondered if there any tapes out there to release an official live album. I have a bootleg live CD which is very good. They could reproduce their studio sound quite well in a live environment. They always threw in some interesting covers in their live shows as well.

I doubt they have much, if anything, left in their archives. If they did, I would think those recordings would have come out by now. We got the boxed set, then the vinyl, then the instrumentals, and now the remasters. If they had other quality recordings, then I don't see them releasing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They always threw in some interesting covers in their live shows as well.
    Marillion covered "The King is Half-Undressed" at one of their Weekends. I think "All Is Forgiven" has one of the best openings of any rock song. The song might total all of 3 minutes, but it is one of the best on record IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Marillion covered "The King is Half-Undressed" at one of their Weekends. I think "All Is Forgiven" has one of the best openings of any rock song. The song might total all of 3 minutes, but it is one of the best on record IMO.
    On the bootleg I have (entitled “California Dreaming”) they cover Badfinger’s “No Matter What” and Paul McCartney’s “Jet” and “Let Em In”. Needless to say they do a great job with all of those tracks.

Big power pop fan here as well:

I always enjoyed those Jellyfish albums but always preferred Author Unknown by Jason Falkner, who if I remember right, was their guitar player on Bellybutton.

Its much less bright and technicolor than Jellyfish. In some ways his vocals remind me of a slightly more 90s Kevin Gilbert.

Roger Manning - Catnip Dynamite Rules...

I have "Spilt Milk" on CD and love it! I used to have "Bellybutton" on vinyl, but my vinyl collection is long gone and I don't think I got familiar enough with it to know if I like it better or as much as SM. Might need to get this two-fer!

Brilliant band !!!!

nowadays Andy Steurmer makes more $$$$ selling one children's song to Disney, than he ever did in the entire Jellyfish career. So sad.
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

^that's similar to what Matt Mahaffey's aka sElf been doing; however, at least he does continue to make and release his own music under the sElf name.

It would be great if Andy would do something in the vein of JF again, even if it's just a solo project where he played everything. The man has such a great voice, it's a shame more music hasn't come from him.

I never was interested in the other projects that members of Jellyfish were a part of. Those other bands didn't have thatcool vibe that Jellyfish had.