Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flying Colors - Second Nature

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like the first release. It is a great collection of prog inspired pop songs with a prog number at the end. That being said, I do not listen to it that often.

The new one sounds amazing on the first pass. Especially the last 2 songs. This is what I would expect from this caliber of musicians. Well done!
    Great to hear. While I don't have a hatred for pop, I don't think the first was up to great pop levels like Jellyfish because the vocals aren't that good. Prog is the right direction for them, and the vocals are not bad.

From Mascot Records:

This week only, there are several full album streams available for the upcoming album by Flying Colors: “Second Nature”:

US: http://www.guitarworld.com/hear-it-n...-second-nature
    Germany/Austria/Switzerland: http://www.laut.de/News/Flying-Color...-09-2014-10832
    Germany/Austria/ Switzerland: http://www.rockhard.de/news/newsarch...re-hinein.html
    UK: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...full-exclusive
    France: http://www.radiometal.com/article/av...-nature,160871
    Holland: http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...econd%20Nature

Ya, this one is really good--at least the first impression. Glad it was up on Progstreaming. I would have never bought it without trying.

Pleasantly surprised by this one. I found their first album unimpressive.

It's hard for me to judge based on my one time streaming this, but...I don't see the huge chasm between the two albums that others seem to. It's way too early yet though.
    <sig out of order>

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's hard for me to judge based on my one time streaming this, but...I don't see the huge chasm between the two albums that others seem to. It's way too early yet though.
    I'm with you, though I've also only had the one spin (which, for judging Progressive Rock, can be a cardinal sin).

Well, for one thing, there are keyboards on it, and the music is not compressed into a cement block.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Well, for one thing, there are keyboards on it, and the music is not compressed into a cement block.
    It did feel less compressed, but I wasn't sure what the quality of the stream was and I was only listening on tiny computer speakers. If that is true that bodes well for my ability to listen to the entire thing in one go. I can only make it through 2 or 3 songs at a time on the first album.

But I had been thinking in terms of songwriting.
    <sig out of order>

Well, I agree with Guy, this doesn't seem much different than the previous one (based on one listen, anyway).......which means it's a pass for me. Don't care for the vocals or the writing in general, though there is no question these guys are all stellar musicians. Not my thing, I guess (probably would enjoy seeing them play live though, just because they are all so good as instrumentalists).

Anyone think the opening track sounds like NDV era Spock's Beard? It's the first thing that came to my mind.

I think they did a great disservice to this album by amping up the prog elements and dropping the producer. It's getting dangerously close to being a typical NM/MP prog collaboration and my interest has waned completely because of this. Even the shorter songs have a distinctly less diverse sound than their debut and are drifting towards generic pop-prog hell.

Streamed the whole thing yesterday. Starts out strong, but I started losing interest about half way through. Still not sure what to think of these guys. Some of it I love, some is kinda meh... I believe I could make one pretty great record out of the best of both. I'm just getting familiar with Neal Morse, and finding that I REALLY don't like him as a singer or lyricist.

Got this today, a little earlier than I expected. Tried to get the download and it says there are no tracks to download. Anyone else have a go at it?

If it "sags' in the middle, it completely picks up with "Cosmic Symphony." That is one killer suite. It's not overly proggy but i love the feel of it, and the final section (reminiscent of early seventies Fleetwood Mac to my ears) actually had me near tears at one point.

I will admit, I have a bigger fondness for Casey as a singer than Neal. Every time Neal takes the mike, it's just "okay" for me.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    I think they did a great disservice to this album by amping up the prog elements and dropping the producer. It's getting dangerously close to being a typical NM/MP prog collaboration and my interest has waned completely because of this. Even the shorter songs have a distinctly less diverse sound than their debut and are drifting towards generic pop-prog hell.

Funny that's your take, most other opinions seem to be the exact opposite. You're saying it's too proggy, but also saying it's generic pop-prog? I really don't hear it that way at all. I'm glad they've self-produced, though I had no problem with the approach of the debut, both are successes in my view.

For me, I love the first album. It's so freaking diverse, and I love that. I love a good song, and they've got plenty of them. On a few listens of the second disc, there's no doubt that this is proggier, and that only improves things from the debut. Mike's playing is exceptionally fantastic, I'm liking Casey's vocals even more (though I did like him on the debut too, I think his is a refreshing approach) and his songwriting continues to be strong, fleshed out by the others' musical muscles. The first track might be their best yet, and all the others sound like they have very strong dimensions.

Can't wait to get the hard copy in my mailbox any day now!

I thought their debut album was an enjoyable/fun listening experience and look forward to the new one.

Auto buy for me.Primarily because I love Neal Morse's voice, lyrics & songwriting!!!

"Blue Ocean" is one of my favorite songs by any group, but unfortunately the rest of the debut album didn't quite reach those same heights for me. However, there was definitely some good stuff on there.

I heard the first two songs from the new album on Progstreaming, and it was pretty cool. I've pre-ordered it as a result, and look forward to hearing the whole thing.

I hope they have the vinyl at the merch table.

You going, Dan? We have to meet up!

I'm hoping (and assuming) that they'll have the CD, and also hoping that by some strange chance that I might be able to get KaLIVEascope, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes Scott, I will be there!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    If it "sags' in the middle, it completely picks up with "Cosmic Symphony." That is one killer suite. It's not overly proggy but i love the feel of it, and the final section (reminiscent of early seventies Fleetwood Mac to my ears) actually had me near tears at one point.

I will admit, I have a bigger fondness for Casey as a singer than Neal. Every time Neal takes the mike, it's just "okay" for me.
    +1. I quite like that Casey guy. I'm going to give Cosmic Symphony another listen now. I was kind of tuned out by the time it came around the first time through.

Having listened to this for several days, I find it really solid. I have a few complaints to get out of the way:

1) Not as many "fun" rockers… in fact, none. "Mask Machine" and "Bombs Away" are as close as it gets, but they're not as carefree as "Shoulda Coulda Woulda" or "Forever In a Daze." I think that's a bit of a loss, though I think most people here disagree with me. Still, every song seems pretty dang serious and intense, which makes it a heavier listening experience.

2) Not really crazy about "One Love Forever." It's Joe Satriani's "Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness" with Christian-themed lyrics. Although the religious topics are pretty muted on this album, this one's kind of obvious. As a result the effect is a bit over the top for me, especially when Neal comes in on the bridge and does his "I'M SELLIN' THIS" vocal bit.

3) Which leads to "Peaceful Harbor." While I love the gospel vocals, the whole effect of this song is so very Neal. They really could have dialed the spirituality stuff back a notch.

Apart from that, these are some very good songs altogether. And "Peaceful Harbor" isn't bad, it's just excessive in the context of the album. "Cosmic Symphony" is my song of the year. It has its spiritual themes, but they're more intense, understated and personal, and the bluesy-guitar colorings of "Pound for Pound" are gorgeous. "I've given love, I've given hate, I've given peace and I've made war and I've been scarred by words and storms, but here I am… a will to live." One hell of a goosebump moment, that.

"Open Up Your Eyes," "The Fury of My Love" and "Lost Without You" are also standouts. Casey's vocals are wonderful and Steve Morse's lead playing is as sublime as it is technically perfect. Dave LaRue adds his shine with some sweet fretless bass work. Neal Morse does his job with his usual competence, but I honestly wish he'd let Casey do most of the vocal work. Neal's lead vocals are fine on "A Place In Your World," though. And Mike Portnoy's fine as usual; he does okay with his occasional vocal bits as well.

I've been enjoying this. One less power ballad thing and it might have been super-excellent. As it is, it's very good, and completely worth it for "Cosmic Symphony."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I saw them last Thursday on Redondo Beach. They sounded pretty good, may be too much similar as the cd, same arrangements. Watching Dave La Rue was an interesting experience. Steve Morse exceptional as usual. Keyboards and vocals good too. Don't like Portnoy but he is right. They made few mistakes but it was all cool. Very nice show.

Saw these guys last night. Knew none of the material but here is my opinion.

Material is a bit week. Songs lack any real groove or feel. They could have used some strategically placed covers. Casey has got a good voice but is not a particularly strong vocalist IMO. He had the pseudo country look about him. I actually though he was Luke Bryan for a minute. As for the band:

Steve Morse was his usual killer self though it was apparent to me that he is struggling a bit with whatever ails his right hand. His picking is not as fast nor precise as in the past. Left hand vibrato and legato were amazing.

Neil Morse - not a huge fan but I have a couple of solo CDs I like. He was rocking out a little and perhaps would have been a better fit as the lead vocalist.

Portnoy - played well and kept the heavy rock in the songs otherwise it might have been a CSN & Y show. And just like the Winery Dogs he is clearly the band leader and spokesman. I really enjoyed his playing and sense of humor.

Dave Larue - another great show by an amazing talent. I have never seen a bad show by Dave.

So far I'm not feeling it with this album. The production is much better (to these ears) than the first one with a bit more dynamic range. The songs just don't resonate with me. The debut album definitely had a few songs I could have done without as well, but this is even more "meh". I'll still give it a couple more spins to see if my thoughts change.
    <sig out of order>