Thread: Hooverphonic

Hooverphonic

Wow,.. I just discovered this band! Any love out there for them ? I have only heard Blue Wonder Power Milk... how does it rate among the others? Any recommendations ? Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    Wow,.. I just discovered this band! Any love out there for them ? I have only heard Blue Wonder Power Milk... how does it rate among the others? Any recommendations ? Thanks !
    I like them as well--and that album in particular. Their debut (A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular) was more drum-n-bass oriented (and had a different vocalist), but still pretty interesting. After Blue Wonder, their next two albums (Magnificent Tree and Jackie Cane) were pretty good and in a similar style (the latter being a sort of concept album based on a song from the former), but didn't quite capture the magic I felt with BWPM. The next couple of releases were pretty unmemorable to me, and based on sampling I haven't been especially tempted to check out their most recent material with a new vocalist.

By the way, for other readers who may be wondering, Hooverphonic is in no way a prog group, but a Belgian pop group that can be sort of symphonic or psychedelic at times--the closest comparison I can think of would be the Maggie Reilly-fronted pop songs of Mike Oldfield in the '80s, but with a more lounge-retro atmosphere.

LOVE Hooverphonic. Best album by a long shot is MAGNIFICENT TREE although JACKIE CANE is a "concept album" pretty much. They've kind of gone between a Bacharach-ish retro sound and electronica. I can make a kick ass 80 minute CDR mix taking songs from all of their albums for sure. I can even make the list and you can buy them separately. They have some decent b-sides an covers as well. Other thing is they've had 3 lead singers. One on the first, one from the second album (that you have that also has male vocals from the guys-the only album like that) to the 6th (?) and then a new young singer for the last 2 studio albums. They've kind of simplified their sound to a retro one these days but it still yields great results.