Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD - Uriah Heep : Demons And Wizards

I had no idea Hensley stayed on so long (was he on Conquest as well??) >> thought he'd left around 76 or so

What prompted him leaving? I heard Box was fed up with him and Ken got fired, but I can hardly imagine Hensley getting the boot, unless it was unanimous from the rest of the band
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't believe there were major issues between Hensley and Box. Hensley left after 'Conquest', not being happy with John Sloman...who also never stayed long. Hensley has said in numerous interviews, though, he wanted to leave for years before he did.

What probably did rankle with the band is when Jack Williams, who wasn't even in the band, contributed three songs to 'Innocent Victim'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

What probably did rankle with the band is when Jack Williams, who wasn't even in the band, contributed three songs to 'Innocent Victim'.
    I keep forgetting that album ever existed... I'd totally missed it in the stores... I think I never saw it until internet arrived... once in a while this happens with me... Same with Kansas' Masque album... I only became aware of it around the millenium.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hensley left after 'Conquest', not being happy with John Sloman...who also never stayed long.
    Being a fan Lone Star era John Sloman, I always wondered why he sounded so bad in Uriah Heep...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

My question was always... Why is Rick Wakeman on the cover?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Goodthunder... what's it like??

This GnoRym assemblage is a pretty good idea,... but I suppose that you used the overall ratings of both sites more that your own personal ones??

Personally, I'd place Made In England atop that list
    Gno+RYM+PA so you had more input than anyone

8.0 Machine Head
    7.6 Demons and Wizards
    7.4 Goodthunder
    7.2 Hoodoo Man
    6.9 Made in England
    6.9 All Together Now
    6.8 Kingdom Come
    6.8 Odin

Goodthunder has more plays from me than the top two, but I did have it on a cassette tape with Secret Treaties and Sufficiently Breathless and it was always on repeat in my boy racing car days.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I keep forgetting that album ever existed... I'd totally missed it in the stores... I think I never saw it until internet arrived... once in a while this happens with me... Same with Kansas' Masque album... I only became aware of it around the millenium.
    Conquest never got released in North America. I like most of it. Sloman brought in a few good tracks, so did Trevor Bolder.

'Won't Have To Wait Too Long' is absolutely horrible IMHO. Most of the rest of it isn't bad, 'Out On The Street' is particularly underrated. 'It Ain't Easy' is by some distance the best song Trevor Bolder ever brought to the band IMHO. 'Carry On' strikes me as the only song which really has the 'classic' Heep sound. I do wonder what their more conservative rock fans made of things like 'No Return'!!

Some of the tracks like 'Feelings' and 'Fools' they had already recorded with John Lawton on that shelved album from the late 70s. Similarly the Sloman line-up recorded 'Think It Over' which turned up again on 'Abominog'.

'Won't Have To Wait Too Long' is absolutely horrible IMHO. Most of the rest of it isn't bad, 'Out On The Street' is particularly underrated. 'It Ain't Easy' is by some distance the best song Trevor Bolder ever brought to the band IMHO. 'Carry On' strikes me as the only song which really has the 'classic' Heep sound. I do wonder what their more conservative rock fans made of things like 'No Return'!!

Some of the tracks like 'Feelings' and 'Fools' they had already recorded with John Lawton on that shelved album from the late 70s. Similarly the Sloman line-up recorded 'Think It Over' which turned up again on 'Abominog'.
    I thought Carry On was the worst track on the album! But enjoy Out OnThe Street, It Aint Easy, No Return.... A shame they wont release the complete albums recorded before and after this album!

I wasn't aware of one after...there's various things which came out as B-sides and extra tracks.