Thread: YES - Heaven and Earth 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Fragile-fan-boy, huh?
    Love the new songs, where I was going was to try and see what gig it was culled from and which two would be on it : )

Still looking forward to a DVD with JD, and so looking forward to tomorrow evening, will have an empty house for few hours and will be able to crank the CD on my "A" system under perfect listening conditions for the first time, with a healthy buzz and the lyrics in hand

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    All of these positive reviews have me wondering if I need to have my hearing checked.

And I want to like it so badly
    It indeed sounds like you "want to believe in that love, yet again", so fear not "you still can receive"!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

All of these positive reviews have me wondering if I need to have my hearing checked.

I'm not a "no Jon/no Yes" guy - quite the opposite.

I don't care about labels.

I'm not an audiophile/sound quality snob.

I love Howe's albums with Paul Sutin.

But I flat-out hate H&E. There's absolutely nothing that I like about it. To call it a snoozefest would overrate it.

And I want to like it so badly.
    I could say something similar about The Ladder, except for the fact that there were one or two pieces there that I liked.

But H&E is OK to my ears. Not exactly a classic, but a decent collection of tunage. It's just where Yes is at this point in the game. (Pun sort of intended)

It does seem to be in keeping with one characteristic of everything they've done since Tormato: they try something (or somebody, by way of a new band member or producer) different almost every time, like wearing a different suit or pair of trousers. The results might be mixed but that's one thing that's kept them interesting, at least for me.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ummmm, zbop?

Well, that one requires a special decoder ring.... He left a long time ago. Didn't like the way we roll around here. Subjects us to a decade of nonsensical gibberish and then splits. Typical....

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    The comments on Howe's rhythmic timing need to be addressed as well. One of the things musicians learn over time is to break the metronome and tease the pulse. In a lot of groove based music it's desirable to play behind the beat instead of directly on it. Howe has always let his tempo breathe with the music. For those who spend a lot of their time with tech metal, it sounds like mistakes.
    I very much appreciate the general point you are making, and it is quite true in a broad sense. But that's not the problem with Howe's time. As I stated earlier, this problem only pops up now and then on this album; most of the time things are fine. Live, on the other hand, it's often much more pronounced. I hesitate to push this point any further because I consider Steve to be one of the great guitarists of his generation: Steve Howe's consistently excellent playing in the 1970s is a highpoint few guitarists will reach. You can still catch flashes of that in his playing and it's delightful when it occurs.
    Last edited by NotTheMama; 07-24-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It's selling very well here in the UK, it's in the Top 10.
    If Yes deserves being at # 10, Transatlantic deserves being at # 1.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    They are in your heart of hearts apparently, but why crap in this thread with that?

Isn't that all that matters?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    For those who feel the H&E is too light, combine it with Fly From Here. Here's my playlist: Fly from Here (whole suite), Light of the Ages, Life on a Film Set, Believe Again, To Ascend, Hour of Need, In a World of Our Own, The Game, Solitaire, Step Beyond, Into the Storm, It Was All We Knew, Subway Walls. (I didn’t include “The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be”). It makes a great collection of modern non-JA Yes tracks. Another observation I had was that H&E sounds a bit like the Paris Sessions, while Fly From Here obviously has ties to Drama. It would've been interesting if the Roy Thomas Baker-produced H&E came out before the Trevor Horn-produced Fly from Here. Like history repeating itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    They are in your heart of hearts apparently, but why crap in this thread with that?

Isn't that all that matters?

BG
    You meanTransatlantic is #2?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Im going to go on record as saying this album's just too 'Windham Hill' for me. FFH wasn't exactly the second coming of CTTE or Fragile either, but at least it brimmed with songcraft and production that made the most of the material. Yes, whether its politically correct to say so or not, seems to be at a stage in their careers where they need someone to come in and light a fire underneath them. That didn't happen IMO. It has its moments. Its melodic. But just a tad too languid. All that's missing are sounds of nature effects. I sincerely hope this grows on me, but I doubt it. Reminds a bit of how I felt when I heard On An Island by Dave Gilmour (an album I eventually traded).

But hey, this is where they're at these days, whether I like it or not. They're allowed to make whatever kind of music they like at this point in time and plenty of people like this style of Yes. Lets hope we're all this productive at their age. Still, I'm not sorry I got it and maybe, in another 10 years, I'll whip it out (the CD) and really connect with it.

I'll admit the first time I heard some of the samples this album really puzzled me...well, it still does in some ways, but in a good way now. Very different from what I was expecting, but I am really, really enjoying it. "The Game" is probably one of my favorites at the moment. "Light of the Ages" is a great one too, very powerful. The mellower vibe of H&E prompts me to call it a modern day Going For The One...at least that's what I keep coming back to. But at the same time I don't really want to compare this too much to the older material as it's such a different animal in so many ways. Yet it has plenty of those "Yes moments" that raise the hairs on the back of my neck. Gotta say, I think Jon D. did a tremendous job on this album, and he killed it when I saw them in Boston a couple weeks ago too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You mean Transatlantic is #2?
    We like what we like, I try not to post about bands I don't seem to like, (aka "get")

Nobody gives a fuck I don't, nor should they

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    It does seem to be in keeping with one characteristic of everything they've done since Tormato: they try something (or somebody, by way of a new band member or producer) different almost every time, like wearing a different suit or pair of trousers. The results might be mixed but that's one thing that's kept them interesting, at least for me.
    An excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    It has its moments. Its melodic. But just a tad too languid. All that's missing are sounds of nature effects. I sincerely hope this grows on me, but I doubt it. Reminds a bit of how I felt when I heard On An Island by Dave Gilmour (an album I eventually traded).
    Interesting comparison, as I've been comparing it to that, too. However, I love On an Island. It has a very definite mood and atmosphere (except for "This Heaven" and "Take a Breath") that just works, IMO. And the production/sound on it is fantastic. So, I keep wondering why that mood is so great for Gilmour but just doesn't work for Yes? Must be something besides the tempos and more atmospheric playing. Must be.....the songs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Funnily enough on the Steve Hoffman forum, they are raving about the sound quality and dynamic range.

It's selling very well here in the UK, it's in the Top 10.
    Yeah, brand new entry at #10 in the official UK album charts. Who'd have thought YES would have a hit album in 2014? Hope this spurs them on to continue making music. From recollection some band members were questioning the financial viability of recording new albums!

why crap in this thread with that?
    That wasn't my intention. I didn't say Yes was unworthy the #10 spot (or better). It's only that so much of 3rd wave prog is so underrated and underexposed.

I try not to post about bands I don't seem to like, (aka "get")
    I liked FFH. A lot. I do get Yes.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Exactly. All opinions and reviews are welcome here. We grade on articulation, not content.
    True, but there is an age-old double standard on music forums. Praise rarely requires defending, criticism usually does. And when someone says "this album is great! 5 stars!" and adds little or nothing of substance behind it, the worst blowback you're gonna get is... "hmm, I don't get it" or "fanboy".

Of course the exceptions would be if one were to praise a rap album or something Phil Collins did. Then the defense goes the other way.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Finally got my poster framed:

1.JPG

and the 8 x 10

2.jpg

and the tee and canvas bag, featuring everyone's favorite Yves logo

3.jpg

BG

Nice looking poster!

I can't imagine listening to this at the gym.
    I actually listen to Yes all the time on my i phone while I work out and this new upbeat music is great----besides, don't have any Beyonce or Jay Z.

Nice looking poster!
    Thanks bro!

BG

I finally received my copy today! After resisting and not listening to a note prior to today, I have played the cd 3 times now, and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. Not close to my favorite Yes album by a mile, but a very pleasant listen. However, I listen to a wide variety of music so the fact that it isn't Prig doesn't affect my enjoyment. Maybe I should thank all those scathing negative reviews for setting my expectations so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Maybe I should thank all those scathing negative reviews for setting my expectations so low.
    You are most welcome.

First, that thread should have been closed. I really hate seeing an artist get mistreated and disrespected like that. I felt the same about Billy Sherwood. I'm not defending the music they produce but I'd never tell them to their faces that their music sucks. I really don't see why some people got their shorts in a twist over Geoff Downe's presence on the thread. He's seeing his band's new album get trashed and he felt like defending it. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think he feels he needs to ingratiate himself to anyone here. So I'm glad that thread got closed. I'd love to see these well known prog artists participating on PE, but why should they if they're not going to get some amount of respect. They've been professional musicians for decades. They're not axe murderers.

Then on the other hand, we have the opposite extreme. Some of the people (the more vocal ones) defending this album are just being antagonistic whether they realize it or not.

No offense intended by was this necessary?:

but why crap in this thread with that?
    Nobody gives a fuck I don't, nor should they
    No one is crapping on the thread. You're just offended because EVERYONE doesn't love the album. I haven't heard the whole album but I've heard a few full tracks and I'm just not interested in it. It doesn't float my boat.

Total rubbish is the best I can say about this album, it's a disgrace and embarrassment to Prog music for a band using the name Yes to release this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post

No one is crapping on the thread. You're just offended because EVERYONE doesn't love the album
    Not offended at all, did you look at what I was responding to?

It just seemed strange bringing a Transatlantic comparison, seemingly out of nowhere

Smorgasbord explained he was just trying to pimp a newer band, all good from where I sit

BG

I believe it was Sean who mentioned a DVD from this tour - is there any further information?

Didn't notice any cameras at my show in DC

BG
    The gig at the Bristol Hippodrome was filmed. It features in the promo video on the H & E website (no, not Health and Efficiency magazine ...)

Again, there's a right way:

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    No one is crapping on the thread. You're just offended because EVERYONE doesn't love the album. I haven't heard the whole album but I've heard a few full tracks and I'm just not interested in it. It doesn't float my boat.
    And a wrong way:

Quote Originally Posted by taragon View Post
    Total rubbish is the best I can say about this album, it's a disgrace and embarrassment to Prog music for a band using the name Yes to release this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally