Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newest Post Rock, Math Rock, Electronic Music

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    There was a hidden agenda and some intense lobbying at the time of inclusion
    Did it take much lobbying to have included those countless big six-clones of which absolutely none succeed at or even make an effort at living up to the creative artistic virtues of the originals?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did it take much lobbying to have included those countless big six-clones of which absolutely none succeed at or even make an effort at living up to the creative artistic virtues of the originals?
    naaah, because originally all these clones were included inside the neo-prog category/genre. (some of them were moved of genre afterwards)

Adding post rock as a genre was already quite a fight (against the symph-weenies), and the fight to include JR/F was a homeric struggle in 2005
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Adding post rock as a genre was already quite a fight (against the symph-weenies), and the fight to include JR/F was a homeric struggle
    But how did you succeed in the end? Did you kill them?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'll throw these guys on the pile. For Astronauts And Satellites, an interesting mix of postrock and chiptune. Their music is available on Bandcamp.

Suspended
    Rarely to the folks who actually play math rock. This, like most things post-70s "real" progressive rock music, take in not only impressions but the essence of what accumulates from contemporary developments in rock music - just like the term originally denoted. Somehow I can't see all too many self-consciously math rock artists yearning for comparisons with acts who insist that "progressive" is still as was 40 years ago.
    If those clips are typical, it's certainly not like your Yes or your Genesis or your ELP. I was of course meaning "progressive" with a small 'p'.

Having said that, I can't say I liked any of those camples.

Check this one out, from Spain, Toundra. They have a few albums under their belt. This is called "IV" but I am not sure if they already have three full albums released before it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    If those clips are typical, it's certainly not like your Yes or your Genesis or your ELP. [...] I can't say I liked any of those camples.
    Which is absolutely fine, but nevertheless completely beside the point; these and numerous other "math rock" acts are progressive bands of today (although a couple of them are defunct now) who for the most part enjoy(ed) a significant reputation among various parts of the independent rock audience - and who toured and sold albums (sometimes surprisingly many of them) without having a todder to to with Genesis or ELP. Progressive rock music was always about what the music states and creates and achieves in the larger scheme of artistic things - not about "fitting a map".

But how did you succeed in the end? Did you kill them?

I lobbied the allmighty Max - who as a web entrepreneur was for his site to be as "inclusive" as possible instead of "exclusive"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll add:

Field Music
    Dungen
    Life on Earth!
    Tame Impala
    Toro Y Moi