Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who said the big 5? It is the big 6

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Zappa never fit in anywhere, I don't think. Even on 'Freak Out' you have doo-wop and 'The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet' on the same album. How do you pigeonhole that??
    Zappa/Mothers, Beefheart and the Velvets were the defining outlayers of most or everything that has come to be known as "avant-garde rock" - which includes the enterprise of progressive rock music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    But if you go for (entirely subjective) artistic quality or "small-p progressiveness", that can bring in all sorts of outliers, like Henry Cow or VDGG or Soft Machine. And Zappa is a perennial outlier - few will deny that he's important, but no one's sure exactly where he fits or whether he does at all.
    Kraftwerk, Can, Magma, Faust, HCow, This Heat - these were progressive bands with a level of influence on different, ensuing styles of rock that went far beyond the confinements of the "sympho", and continue to do so in a day and age when most music listeners would laugh at the concept of "symphonic rock" in the first place.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am not qualified to judge "bigness" in terms of "bestness" or success, but I can certainly judge "bigness" in terms of time spent on my turntable (i.e., "favoriteness" in the '70s): Genesis, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Renaissance and Strawbs. I'd add Gentle Giant as a 7th.

THE BIG SIX, DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

[QUOTE=ItalProgRules;283289]
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    why are all those faces white?

Because we're all rayciss, obviously.
    Guys, don't take the bait. Just ignore LP's shtick. Otherwise, this thread will be closed, just like many other threads have been over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Asian? Native American? African (not -American)? Eastern European? South American?

H'mmm. Seems you have a narrow definition of "every cultural background"
    I *did* forget Osibisa, who were African, but I don't think there were any Asians doing capital P Progressive things with Rock before 1971... do you know of any?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I *did* forget Osibisa, who were African, but I don't think there were any Asians doing capital P Progressive things with Rock before 1971... do you know of any?
    How about the Flower Travellin' Band?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    How about the Flower Travellin' Band?
    perhaps I should check them out... do they Rock?
    I specifically left out Miles because (despite Jonny Mac's distorted Rock Guitar) Bitches Brew doesn't really have a lot of Rock content
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

At the time of "Art Rock's" biggest combined commercial success, musical impact, and general cultural relevance the "Big Six" were:

Moody Blues
    KC
    ELP
    Yes
    Genesis
    JT
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Guys, don't take the bait. Just ignore LP's shtick. Otherwise, this thread will be closed, just like many other threads have been over the years.
    Good advice, we've seen this shtick many many times.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good advice, we've seen this shtick many many times.
    well, I'm not taking *your* bait or the other 2 clowns before you

it was an honest question being that *I was there* and saw artists from all cultural and musical backgrounds doing capital P Progressive things with Rock music elements, not *just the Brits* as the picture by the OP would have the gullible believe.

you can return to your regularly scheduled delusions now...

Who drew the caricatures in the OP?

As someone earlier mentioned, if the definition of the big 6 is who spent the most time on my turntable, I'd go with...

King Crimson
    Jethro Tull
    Genesis
    Yes
    VDGG
    Gentle Giant

It wasn't until years later when I started mining the veins of Zappa & French prog that I found any bands that challenged that original group.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I think it differs from person to person and that person's age & relationship to music/radio at a given period, so for example, if you asked me in 1974 as a 13 year old in London, to name some progressive rock bands I probably would have said:
    Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Genesis, ELO, Jethro Tull, Queen.

In 1974 I hadn't actively and knowingly heard anything by or even heard mention of any of the following bands: ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, VdGG.
    Definitely not ELO or Queen.

I'm not claiming anything about the quality of their music, just saying those bands are definitely not what people in the media normally have in mind when they refer to "prog bands.". The terms "Big 5" or "Big 6" are also to do with who was around and well known at the time "prog" began to be recognised as such, i.e. the early 1970's. That would put ELO and Queen out of the running, and probably also VdGG and Gentle Giant, who pretty much only had cult followings, unlike say Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd who would have been familiar to anyone who listened to radio at the time. I'd definitely include the Moody Blues in the "Big" list, for the same reason. They were definitely thought of as progressive at the time, even if these days many people (myself included) feel that their main claim to the "progressive" tag rests on Days of Future Passed and a handful of other songs.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    well, I'm not taking *your* bait or the other 2 clowns before you

it was an honest question being that *I was there* and saw artists from all cultural and musical backgrounds doing capital P Progressive things with Rock music elements, not *just the Brits* as the picture by the OP would have the gullible believe.

you can return to your regularly scheduled delusions now...
    I guess that qualifies as bait taken.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ugh. Not again.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.