Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Concert Ever? "Prog" ? Ticket Cost? Venue? How Old Were You? Still Have Ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw his '76 show in Ottawa (think).
    '77

TullTik77.jpg

First concert-Elton John, MSG in New York City 1975. First Prog Concert - Tangerine Dream, Radio City, NYC 1988. I don't have the ticket but I do still have the t-shirt!

1981 Van Halen Diver down tour.
    I scalped 15th row tickets for $30...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    First concert-Elton John, MSG in New York City 1975. First Prog Concert - Tangerine Dream, Radio City, NYC 1988. I don't have the ticket but I do still have the t-shirt!
    Take it back, the first prog concert is Roger Waters , Brendan Byrne Arena, NJ 1984 the Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking tour. Probably the best sounding show I was ever at.

First concert was in the fall of '75, ZZ Top/Rory Gallagher. Ticket was $4.50 I believe. My actual first show was supposed to be Yes of the same year, a couple of months earlier, but it was cancelled for some reason.
    First "prog" show, if they were really "prog" then, was Rush opening for Ted Nugent. 2112 tour '76. They played the ATWAS version of 2112 & ALL of Bytor, complete with Alex's Jimmy Page style guitar solo in the middle. Oh, and the ticket cost $5

Primus, 1993
    Not really?
    Don't remember. $20-ish?
    Nope.
    flute juice

Hmm, well, when I was little, when we lived at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, they'd have bands play in the park on the Fourth Of July. Apart from that, I saw The Beach Boys at Municipal Stadium, after an Indians game, I believe, Labor Day weekend 1982.

After that, I went to the Coventry Street Fair one year, and amongst the bands playing was the Rick Ray Band, who might be described as "prog-ish".

First "prog" show I guess depends on how you define "prog". I saw Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughan at Public Hall in Cleveland, in November, I think, 1989.

If Jeff Beck or Rick Ray don't count, that it would be Marillion. I believe it was the first US tour with Steve Hogarth on lead vocals. They played at the old Phantasy Theater in Lakewood, Ohio. I got one of Steve Rothery's guitar picks that he tossed in the audience during the encore. I think that was June or July 1990? I'm sure it had to be summer of that year, at the very least. I think I still have the tour t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) in 1983 on their Dazzle Ships tour. Age 15.

The first prog concert followed 1 year later with Yes on the 90125 Tour, supporting act Bugs Bunny cartoons. I loved it!
    Funny......I had forgotten all about them showing cartoons before the show on the first leg of that tour. I seemed really weird at the time, but as you say it kind of worked. I saw them again later on the tour (outdoors this time) and they did not do the cartoon thing then.

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    The Beatles
    August 19, 1964
    Cow Palace San Francisco (actually Daly City)
    $6.50
    I caught them a month later in Baltimore, $3.75.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

dgtlman's post got me curious as to Yes's setlists in the summer of 1975. They opened with "Sound Chaser?" Weird choice. Would love to have been old enough to see this though.

Setlist:

Firebird Suite
    Sound Chaser (Relayer)
    Close To The Edge (Close To The Edge)
    To Be Over (Relayer)
    Gates Of Delirium (Relayer)
    Your Move (The Yes Album)
    Mood For A Day (Fragile)
    Long Distance Runaround (Fragile)
    Moraz Solo
    Clap (The Yes Album)
    And You And I (Close To The Edge)
    Ritual (Tales From Topographic Oceans)
    Roundabout (Fragile)
    Sweet Dreams (Time And A Word)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Motörhead 1978 on the Bomber Tour at Deeside Leisure Centre, near Wrexham. I think the ticket was a fiver.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Funny......I had forgotten all about them showing cartoons before the show on the first leg of that tour. I seemed really weird at the time, but as you say it kind of worked. I saw them again later on the tour (outdoors this time) and they did not do the cartoon thing then.
    I skipped the 90125 tour but saw the Big Generator tour, by which time they had switched from Bugs Bunny to vintage (black & white) Popeye. Almost upstaged the band, to tell the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I saw The Beach Boys at Municipal Stadium, after an Indians game, I believe, Labor Day weekend 1982.
    I was there. It was a double-header, and the BBs performed in center field between the games. The Burke Lakefront Airshow was also in progress, and the Blue Angels buzzed the stadium a number of times, flying so close to the lights that a couple players hit the deck when the jets passed overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Beatles now that is cool!

my first concert
    Sun., Aug 1 1971 Stephen Stills- Merriweather Post Pavilion. Columbia, MD “Stills 2”
    (same day as Concert for Bangladesh @ Madison Sq Garden –NY) 16 years old $2.00

first prog concert
    Sunday, Aug 13 1972 YES w/Eagles/ Edgar Winter - Merriweather Post Pavilion. Columbia, MD “Close to the Edge” “Take it Easy” $2.50

I have all my concert ticket stubs

Yes. 90125 tour at Alpine Valley, $18.

I threw out all my ticket stubs the last time I moved. I regret that now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    this will be held against you
    All I can say is if I was a Journey fan would my next concert a few months later have been King Crimson? I think the next was Genesis in the Carrier Dome - Abacab tour. Then Rush , Signals tour, Jerry Garcia Band - Music Mountain .

So I couldn't have been a Journey fan, Worm your honor.

First concert: Donny Iris, Shooting Star & Eddie Money. I think this was 1981 & I was 16? This was a radio station (WLS?) sponsored concert at the old Arlington Park Race track in Arlington Hts., IL. I really enjoyed Shooting Star!

First prog concert: Asia Sept 3, 1983 at Poplar Creek ($9 for lawn seats)...and if that's not prog(?), then Yes March 8, 1984 Rosemont Horizon. I still have have both ticket stubs somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Merriweather Post Pavilion. Columbia, MD
    I remember when it opened. I was a regular there in the 60s and early 70s.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

First Prog show was Yes - Talk tour all the way back I in '94. September at the garden state arts center New Jersey. I was 15 at the time, asked my Dad to take me. He had seen them in the early 70's with the Eagles opening up. All he seems to remember from the 94 show is Squire's boots. $44 tickets if I recall

Buddy Rich-Bunker Auditorium-Colorado School of Mines-Feb 14th 1978-$4.15

Kansas-Monolith Tour-McNichols Auditorium-Jul 20th 1979-$9.35

Yes Relayer Tour July 1975. Ace opened. Mid-South coliseum, Memphis, TN. Not sure of the price, but prob. about 6bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    dgtlman's post got me curious as to Yes's setlists in the summer of 1975. They opened with "Sound Chaser?" Weird choice. Would love to have been old enough to see this though.

Setlist:

Firebird Suite
    Sound Chaser (Relayer)
    Close To The Edge (Close To The Edge)
    To Be Over (Relayer)
    Gates Of Delirium (Relayer)
    Your Move (The Yes Album)
    Mood For A Day (Fragile)
    Long Distance Runaround (Fragile)
    Moraz Solo
    Clap (The Yes Album)
    And You And I (Close To The Edge)
    Ritual (Tales From Topographic Oceans)
    Roundabout (Fragile)
    Sweet Dreams (Time And A Word)
    Yep, that was the setlist when I first saw them. I'm sure my head about exploded when i heard Sound Chaser. i think all i had heard at that point was ISAGP and Roundabout!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Ah...77, on my birthday. I remember it was back when there was no reserved seating and you rushed to get the best seat. We played cards outside of Landsdowne park from the late afternoon, then we rushed in! Oh yeah, footnote .
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-23-2014 at 10:06 PM.

First concert, 1970, Grand Funk Railroad, Illinois State Armory, Springfield Il. What I remember most now is the pre-show music, where I first heard the Moody Blues, Departure/Ride My See saw. blew me away. when I got home I asked my older brother if he had some song about a see saw. he barely tolerated me at that age (I was 13, he was 18) but he showed me the Lost Chord LP, let me listen to it and I was transformed. to this day I think the classic first 7 Moodies albums are completely flawless. I listen to them quite often. I've long since forgotten Grand Funk, they had some good songs, but I've got 2nd row to the Moodies next month here in Springfield.
    First prog concert, Yes, 1974, Relayer tour, Illinois State University. Acoustics were so bad I don't remember much, other than the Roger Dean stage set.
    First prog show I really remember, ELP, 1977, Soldier Field Chicago, 70,000 people, one of the final shows with the Works orchestra. All-day show. Opening acts were Climax Blues Band, Foghat, J Geils Band. I loved it, guy I went with hated the orchestra, I suspect most of the rest of the crowd felt the same way. they were expecting "classic" ELP. eight months later they came to Southern Ill University where I was in junior year, Valentines Day show, no orchestra, awesome show. Still have every ticket stub.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Everything more expensive in California..even in 1964