Thread: Peter Green - Worth Exploring?????

Peter Green - Worth Exploring?????

I know he wasn't with the MAC long but a friend of mine mentioned him as a in fluence...Is his solo material worth exploring?????

Well the FM tenure can be more or less condensed with three albums, IMHO

1- take any Greatest Hits compilation (they usually have more or less the same tracklists),
    2- get FM In Chicago (where they play with the blues giants)
    3- and find their best album Then Play On....

For his 70's solo career, if you can find the compilation Blue Guitar (came with a superb transparant deep blue vinyl), it's flawless... You'll have a solid idea whether you want to investigate further

His later solo career (with The Spilnter Group), I'm not too familiar with...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well the FM tenure can be more or less condensed with three albums, IMHO

1- take any Greatest Hits compilation (they usually have more or less the same tracklists),
    2- get FM In Chicago (where they play with the blues giants)
    3- and find their best album Then Play On....

For his 70's solo career, if you can find the compilation Blue Guitar (came with a superb transparant deep blue vinyl), it's flawless... You'll have a solid idea whether you want to investigate further

His later solo career (with The Spilnter Group), I'm not too familiar with...
    Trane pretty much nails it, but I would add: Volumes I & II of the Boston Tea Party live discs. Some smokin' live stuff there. I also found a cheap compilation of live-at-the-BBC stuff that's really terrific and recommended. It has a blue cover and I can't recall the exact title right now but it's something generic like "BBC Sessions Live" or something like that.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Check out the dvd that was released a few years ago, with the Splinter Group. It used to be available on Netflix but no longer for some reason.

This is a great disc with two sets of music acoustic opening set and electric closing set.

The acoustic set closes with a beautiful rendition of "Albatross".

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is his solo material worth exploring?????
    I'd suggest you to try "In The Skies" ('77)

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I'd suggest you to try "In The Skies" ('77)
    As part of my explorations of cheap vinyl, I picked up 'In the Skies', if you like blues rock, get this, his guitar tone is terrific here.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

There is a tribute album to Peter Green that is worth checking out also.

Then Play On
    Boston Tea Party
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Then Play On from me as well.

Music fans all have their own Fl Mac favorite era, and the Peter G. & Jeremy Spencer incarnations are my favorite. YMMV if you're either a Christine, Lindsay or (it's hard for me to stay quiet here, but tact will out this time) Stevie fan, I guess.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There is a tribute album to Peter Green that is worth checking out also.
    Rattlesnake Guitar: The Music of Peter Green (2 discs)

Like most tributes, this is not as good as listening to the man himself, but unlike most tributes, this one is full of fine performances by notable artists.

A shorter version exists on one disc, called Man Of The World: Reflections on Peter Green.

This one contains about half the songs from Rattlesnake Guitar, but is notable for being a hybrid CD, playable in Super Audio CD or as DSD on a regular CD player. Great sound quality.

the tribute album get mixed reviews. most thinks its alright but the rory tunes steal the show overall. solo peter green i never really liked which is funny since he did write some killer stuff at the tailend of his time with fleetwood mac, "then play on" had some killer tunes. there is a rekkid/cd done by gary moore called "blues for greeny" that is really good. the boston tea party stuff is killer but i only have the volume one of it.

Just gave The End of The Game a spin. I dug it when it first came out, but can't recommend it; it hasn't aged well......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    there is a rekkid/cd done by gary moore called "blues for greeny" that is really good.
    Peter Green gave Gary Moore his guitar, which Moore used on Blues for Greeny.

Should have included both Kirwan & Welch with the money-makers in my previous post.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Peter Green (67-71) was one of my favorite. But nothing to do with prog music ;o) even if in 1966, Green played lead guitar in Peter Bardens' band "Peter B's Looners". That's where he met drummer Mick Fleetwood. But some songs could be close to the prog like The Green Manalishi and the instrumentals The Supernatural, Apostle and Slabo Day. Barden and Snowy White play on Slabo Day on In The Sky album.

His story is close to the Syd Barrett story. LSD and schizophrenia problems. But he seems ok today.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Just gave The End of The Game a spin. I dug it when it first came out, but can't recommend it; it hasn't aged well......
    End of the Game is totally different from all he ever did afterwards. Free form heavy blues acid jazz rock, all instrumental(if I remember correctly). It wears out towards the end, but if you like that style, it's a winner. I've had his follow-up albums, In The Skies and Little Dreamer. Both of them are good blues rock albums, strong melodies and great guitar work throughout, but nothing like The End of The Game.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Should have included both Kirwan & Welch with the money-makers in my previous post.
    Danny Kirwan definitely deserves more attention. His contribution to Then Pay On is just as important as Greens. And I think that he does the nice vibrato lead guitars.

His story is close to the Syd Barrett story. LSD and schizophrenia problems. But he seems ok today.[/QUOTE]
    Why do u think this peeked my interest.....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    His story is close to the Syd Barrett story. LSD and schizophrenia problems. But he seems ok today.
    well religion got involved too... and there is that persistent rumour about auto-mutilation... though I have no idea if there is much truth to it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.