Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aranis - Made in Belgium II

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    In Rood was a very tough go for me. Solo bass compositions running under nearly incessant Flemish poetry reading.
    I guess I'll practice my Flemish/Dutch... I'm supposed to be bilingual (am almost), and even working in North Holland.

The first Spinvis is one of the tougher but better album out of the NL, and a reference for Dutch sung music.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This came today. Four tracks in and I'm loving it!! There's so much going on - going to take some intense listening to unravel it all.

Caught the Led Zep quote in track 6. Awesome!

Both were in my mailbox by noon yesterday...

MiB2 is better than its predecessor, IMHO... didn't like Jana Arns' vocals though...

But I was more surprised with In Rood, which in parts I found rather very interesting....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I confirm that in Rood is so far the one I preger... Past that long first track spoken in Dutch (thankfully Flemish, rather than West-Friese dialect ), the next four tracks are rather excellent... Actually, this album is fairly reminiscent of Joris' old project Troisoeur with his brothers

1. In Rood 28:08
    2. Aorta- tak 1 07:47
    3. Aorta- tak 2 07:37
    4. Aorta- tak 3 04:49
    5. Aorta- tak 4 03:12

I've heard Aranis' MiB2 a second time last night on the way back to my Dutch pad, and I will warm to some of the tracks, but others will not be soo easy for me... But so far, I tend to prefer MiB2 to MiB1

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/troissoeur

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I confirm that in Rood is so far the one I preger... Past that long first track spoken in Dutch (thankfully Flemish, rather than West-Friese dialect ), the next four tracks are rather excellent... Actually, this album is fairly reminiscent of Joris' old project Troisoeur with his brothers
    When I got this I played it a couple of times but didn't afterwards. I liked the Aorta tracks, although nut as much as the stuff on the first Basta CD. The first track just doesn't do it for me at all. An half hour long poem about in Flemish with a minimal arrangment; after a few minutes i get bored with it and then there are still 25 minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    When I got this I played it a couple of times but didn't afterwards. I liked the Aorta tracks, although nut as much as the stuff on the first Basta CD. The first track just doesn't do it for me at all. An half hour long poem about in Flemish with a minimal arrangment; after a few minutes i get bored with it and then there are still 25 minutes to go.
    Yeah, repeated listens of that track will prove difficult once the initial discovery is over.

Very nice album! So far my favourite songs are Tolles Pferd (cool vocals!) and Kurt Budé's composition Cell Stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Very nice album! So far my favourite songs are Tolles Pferd (cool vocals!) and Kurt Budé's composition Cell Stress.

yikes that 30's German cabaret piece (however parodic or pastichy it may be ) is really my least fave on the album, along with the accordian-heavy piece as well.

Personally I find very little wrong with Tolles pferd. Its a fun track. I am not looking for a whole album with such tunes but just one, on an album that has tracks like cell stress, boki and skip21, works very well.