Thread: Os Mutantes box set

Os Mutantes box set

http://www.livrariasaraiva.com.br/pr...?PAC_ID=125982

I haven't seen this (or couldn't find it) in any English language shops.

Google translator on the text:

"Synopsis

"Reissue 6 albums of original training Mutantes - 1968 to 1972, including "Technicolor", recorded in 1970 and first launched in 1999 In addition, the unprecedented compilation "Have a Hug for Old." - Which rescues the key moments of the group participating or sharing disks of other artists, spare tracks and launched compact groups. Accompanying historical booklet with texts by Rodrigo Faour.

"Features:
    Performer / Band: The Mutants
    Year of Production: 2014
    Audio Language: Portuguese
    Country of Production: Brazil"

So it sounds like there's some previously unissued material here.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yes, I can confirm there is one cd including material never before released on cd. The track list of the cd with inedits is as follows:

1. Domingo No Parque
    2. Canção Para Inglês Ver/ Chiquita Bacana
    3. Ando Meio Desligado (singles version)
    4. The Rain The Park And Other Things
    5. Cinderella - Rockfella
    6. Glória Ao Rei Dos Confins Do Além
    7. Baby
    8. Saudosismo
    9. Marcianita
    10. A Voz Do Morto
    11. Lady Madonna
    12. Mande Um Abraço Pra Velha
    13. Ando Meio Desligado

Some of the tracks are simply edits of the existing ones (e.g., Ando Meu Desligado), but many of these tracks I have never heard before. If I remember correctly, "Mande um abraço pra velha" was the last thing Rita Lee recorded with the band before being "invited" to leave it. Stylistically speaking, it has elements of both "Mutantes e Seus Cometas no País do Baurets" and "A e o Z". Not particularly a great track, IMO, but definitely a worth adition to their discography on cd. I'm really waiting for this cd.
    Last edited by Conti; 07-21-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Everything they ever did was at least good - but most of it was f'n GREAT. One of the truly captivating bands of rock - IMHO.

In recent years, most of their discography has actually been easier to acquire on vinyl than on CD, at least here in (Northern) Europe. And the same goes for their countrymen Novos Baianos and even Modulo 2000.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Everything they ever did was at least good - but most of it was f'n GREAT. One of the truly captivating bands of rock - IMHO.

In recent years, most of their discography has actually been easier to acquire on vinyl than on CD, at least here in (Northern) Europe. And the same goes for their countrymen Novos Baianos and even Modulo 2000.
    I absolutely agree with that. But I'm suspicious because I truly love everything they did. By the way, earlier this year I had the chance to attend an one-off concert in my city in which the original players in "Tudo foi feito pelo sol" played the record in its entirety for the first time since 1976. It was absolutely amazing!

On a side note, on August 3rd Arnald Baptista will play a concert to celebrate 40 years of his masterpiece Loki. I'll be there!

Since you mentioned Scandinavia and I'll be in Gothemburg and Stockholm in late August and early September, I'll try to grab me some Mutantes on vinyl. Do you know any good stores in these cities?

By the way, I LOVE Novos Bahianos too!

I first heard of them in a roundabout way when I heard a song by a band called The Bees. I remember thinking, why does that song sound so much more melodically and rhythmically vibrant than just about any other 'indie' group that was around? Turns out because it was written in the 60s and the song was 'A Minha Menina'. I should have known, really, that it wasn't a contemporary song. (In the same year I heard a Royksopp track with a great hook...that hook was a Burt Bacharach song called 'Blue On Blue'!)

Yes, their albums are not common here- even with latter-day interest in 'Tropicalia'. The debut was easy enough to get and I think I saw the 2nd one around (although I don't have it). Don't recall really seeing any others much.

That non-album disc looks strange; covers of The Cowsills and more shockingly, Esther and Abi Ofarim?? The mind boggles!

Suspended
    Is this the same band that featured Rita Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is this the same band that featured Rita Lee?
    Yes, exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Since you mentioned Scandinavia and I'll be in Gothemburg and Stockholm in late August and early September, I'll try to grab me some Mutantes on vinyl. Do you know any good stores in these cities?
    Sorry, haven't been to either city since the 1990s!

But I got *all* of my Mutantes albums (except for A e o Z and that very strange live record, which is also worth having) through local retailers, catalogs or at record fairs here in Oslo. There's one definite upside to some "prog" related things getting picked up by the hipsters; they always see to it that the music is readily available.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sorry, haven't been to either city since the 1990s!

But I got *all* of my Mutantes albums (except for A e o Z and that very strange live record, which is also worth having) through local retailers, catalogs or at record fairs here in Oslo. There's one definite upside to some "prog" related things getting picked up by the hipsters; they always see to it that the music is readily available.
    No worries. I happen to know Stockholm quite well for I happened to live in Uppsala in 2006. Two years ago I discovered a second-hand vinyl store over there but didn't have time to explore it. Maybe this time I do. Never been in Gothemburg though.

I've never seen an edition of "A e o Z" on vinyl. Certainly not from the seventies because it remained in the vaults for over 20 years.

I've never seen an edition of "A e o Z" on vinyl. Certainly not from the seventies because it remained in the vaults for over 20 years.
    Indeed. I know there's at least one vinyl bootleg (apparently with a different cover from the two CD releases of that album), but I never came across it myself. This would really be something for a label like Guerssen to pick up on; A e o Z is one of my fave "symph prog" albums from all of the South Americas, and I have a very special love for it as part of the entire Mutantes discography as well - although I find it very hard to decide upon a fave from there. They were all so damn good.

I think if I was to point to one *particularly* near-flawless Os Mutantes album, it'd be their second, titled only Mutantes, from 1969. The arrangements and production values on that record are so completely packed with grand ideas and approaches and solutions, one should almost suspect George Martin or someone like him had a hand in it. Iconically creative pop/rock music, and with some of Tom Ze's and Veloso's stuff, Matanca do Porco by Som Imaginario and the Acabou Chorare album by Novos Baianos, my all time faves from Brazil.

Indeed. I know there's at least one vinyl bootleg (apparently with a different cover from the two CD releases of that album), but I never came across it myself. This would really be something for a label like Guerssen to pick up on; A e o Z is one of my fave "symph prog" albums from all of the South Americas, and I have a very special love for it as part of the entire Mutantes discography as well - although I find it very hard to decide upon a fave from there. They were all so damn good.
    It would be really nice to have "A e o Z" on vinyl. I like this record a lot. And I agree upon the incredibly high level of their output. The only record of theirs I don't care too much is their live album from the late seventies. By the way, have you got any of their recent albums? I reluctantly bought "Haih ou Amortecedor" a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with the songs and the production. It has a strong lyrical input from Tom Zé, who co-authors a few tracks. There is also one track by Jorge Ben that seems to emulate quite well the spirit of the original Os Mutantes. They seem to have released another record after Haih", but I've never seen it anywhere.

I think if I was to point to one *particularly* near-flawless Os Mutantes album, it'd be their second, titled only Mutantes, from 1969. The arrangements and production values on that record are so completely packed with grand ideas and approaches and solutions, one should almost suspect George Martin or someone like him had a hand in it. Iconically creative pop/rock music (...)
    I pretty much agree with you. Their album from 1969, the one with Rita Lee dressed as a bride on the cover, is my favorite of theirs. And you are not wrong about the presence of a George Martin-like arranger on this record. He is maestro Rogério Duprat, who was one of the true mavericks of the Tropicália movement. His input on many of the records released in the context of the Tropicália movement is undeniable and fundamental.

Tom Ze's and Veloso's stuff, Matanca do Porco by Som Imaginario and the Acabou Chorare album by Novos Baianos, my all time faves from Brazil.
    Great list, these are really great albums. I assume you are also familiar with Milton Nascimento, who has released many flawless records in the seventies. His "Clube da Esquina", "Clube da Esquina II", "Milagre dos Peixes" and "Minas" are absolutely outstanding. I'm also a big fan of one particular record by João Donato, called "Lugar Comum", which portrays great, colorful arrangements of very simple yet uplifting tunes. Then there is Gilberto Gil's "Expresso 2222", Toninho Horta's "Terra dos Pássaros", Tom Zé's "Estudando o Samba" and "Todos os Olhos", Arrigo Barnabé's "Clara Crocodilo", and one of my favorite Brazilian records of all time: Moacir Santos' "Coisas".

Oh my... Then there is Egberto Gismonti and Hermeto Paschoal...

Suspended
    Yes, exactly!
    I had to ask, because the only way I know the name "Os Mutantes" is from looking up information about Rita Lee on the Internet. I wondered if it was the same band, though, because the descriptions here sound very different from the little I know of Rita Lee's solo stuff.

I was in Brazil in 1979-1980, and my time in the country was soundtracked by the song "Mania de Voce" which I heard everywhere, practically every day I was in Brazil. To me that song almost defines the sound of popular Brazilian music. I still have the EP - a great souvenir of my time there, better than photos. It's hardly "prog" though.

I picked up a number of other albums there at the time. My favourites are two albums by Beto Guedes.

I assume you are also familiar with Milton Nascimento, who has released many flawless records in the seventies. His "Clube da Esquina", "Clube da Esquina II", "Milagre dos Peixes" and "Minas" are absolutely outstanding. I'm also a big fan of one particular record by João Donato, called "Lugar Comum", which portrays great, colorful arrangements of very simple yet uplifting tunes. Then there is Gilberto Gil's "Expresso 2222", Toninho Horta's "Terra dos Pássaros", Tom Zé's "Estudando o Samba" and "Todos os Olhos", Arrigo Barnabé's "Clara Crocodilo", and one of my favorite Brazilian records of all time: Moacir Santos' "Coisas".

Oh my... Then there is Egberto Gismonti and Hermeto Paschoal...
    I'm familiar with all of this except for Toninho Horta and Moacir Santos, so thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check it out in one way or another. I love Brazilian music to start with, so I see no reason to restrain myself.

I reluctantly bought "Haih ou Amortecedor" a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with the songs and the production. [...] They seem to have released another record after Haih", but I've never seen it anywhere.
    "Haih..." has some great stuff on it. The subsequent (and all English) "Fool Metal Jack" is decent but not nearly as good.

Yes, I can confirm there is one cd including material never before released on cd. The track list of the cd with inedits is as follows:
    Any idea if this is getting a worldwide release?

I've got the first three plus Technicolor (which I quite like--it's a fun album) but might jump on board this box set to round out my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    "Haih..." has some great stuff on it. The subsequent (and all English) "Fool Metal Jack" is decent but not nearly as good.
    I've been meaning to pick those up.

They also put a live album out a few years ago that's pretty good.

I'm familiar with all of this except for Toninho Horta and Moacir Santos, so thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check it out in one way or another. I love Brazilian music to start with, so I see no reason to restrain myself.
    You're welcome. Both records are very different from what is usually discussed on this list. Moacir Santos's "Coisas" is a seminal record from 1965 that could be posibly described as Brazilian Afro Jazz. Very influential record. After recording it he moved to the US. His records from the seventies are also very good, but perhaps not as strong as this. They were all released in Japan on cd. In any case, his music has been "re-discovered" in the past 15 years through the efforts of a pair of musicians who have found him living in the USA and wanted to give him proper credit for his music. I would dare to refer to him as a sort of a "Brazilian Charles Mingus". I'm afraid that Coisas is OOP, though.

Toninho Horta was the guitar player with Milton Nascimento in many of his records in the seventies. He was part of Som Imaginário when they played as the support band in "Milagre dos Peixes Live". He also played with Elis Regina, Chico Buarque and possibly every single Brazilian artist in the seventies. He is deservedly known as a genius in harmony and his music shows it. "Terra dos Pássaros" is his best records and IMO one of the best records ever recorded in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Thanks! Interestingly enough, "Fool Metal Jack" hasn't been released in Brazil. "Haih " was released here only in 2014, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Any idea if this is getting a worldwide release?

I've got the first three plus Technicolor (which I quite like--it's a fun album) but might jump on board this box set to round out my collection.
    I really don't know if it is going to get a worldwide release. I think if you got the chance to grab it you definitely should. If you don't find it abroad, please let me know.

By the way, I rank Technicolor as one of my favorites from them.

Toninho Horta was the guitar player with Milton Nascimento in many of his records in the seventies. He was part of Som Imaginário when they played as the support band in "Milagre dos Peixes Live". He also played with Elis Regina, Chico Buarque and possibly every single Brazilian artist in the seventies. He is deservedly known as a genius in harmony and his music shows it. "Terra dos Pássaros" is his best records and IMO one of the best records ever recorded in Brazil.
    Thanks again; I knew of Horta's involvement with Nascimento (and Jorge Ben and Gal Costa at some point, I believe??), and I think he's even featured on that old documentary (black/white) that used to be available on YT featuring Som Imaginario. But I never actually heard any of his own work. I'm gonna try to seek it out!

You are welcome. As much as I see you as a big Brazilian music fan, I think you will not be disappointed with it. His second album, simply named "Toniho Horta", is also very good.

Both amazing artists. Coisas is seminal stuff, but anything from Moacir Santos is worth having. And Toninho is awesome. His self-titled album is one of my favorite albums. All the albums mentioned here, by Donato, Milton, Gilberto, Jorge Ben, are in rotation at my place. As are the Os Mutantes albums I have. If you dig the jazzier bits of Brasilian music, check out Nosso Trio, and Nico Assumpcao, one of the best electric bassists ever, IMO, as well as Lincoln Chieb, Luz Avellar.....the list goes on. El Brujo, however, is in a class by himself, and is my favorite living musician.

Holy crap this box set sounds like garbage. Compressed to death!