Thread: Effects of streaming on non-popular genres

Effects of streaming on non-popular genres

Interesting article on the effects of streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify on non-mainstream genres. It touches on jazz and classical, as well as indie labels and artists. Surely Prog could be affected as well. It touches on the lack of exposure these non-mainstream genres receive through inadequate metadata, i.e., how can you search for sidemen or conductors or symphonies with the current model?

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/20/its_...ium=socialflow

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Interesting article on the effects of streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify on non-mainstream genres. It touches on jazz and classical, as well as indie labels and artists. Surely Prog could be affected as well. It touches on the lack of exposure these non-mainstream genres receive through inadequate metadata, i.e., how can you search for sidemen or conductors or symphonies with the current model?

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/20/its_...ium=socialflow
    This is indeed a great article and it touches many topics in the ongoing discussion about the effect of streaming on the music industry. As I'm working on Classical Streaming behind the curtains, I'm aware of the problem of presenting the metadata about classical music the right way. Hell, you can't even work it in a JW-Player properly, it's unbelievable. And searching for Spotify for Classical Music is a joke.

Solution could be though if these nice-genres - classical, jazz, but also prog - could work together on launching an alternative for Spotify. One that pays better, directly to the bank account of the artist in question and offer fans and artist alike the right deal. If only!