Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Wire album details!

I got a holiday card that said "See you in 2017" which means...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And another new album!

Single released on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs...levated-period
    I like this better than anything on the last three albums.Their punk side comes back, but with one of those classic Wire hooks.

I haven't heard the album yet but a mate who has is raving about it. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the special edition CD today. Guess I have something to look forward to. Hooray.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have had a Wire day today, playing the first three and the most recent three in anticipation of this new album. They are as great now as they were at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drill:LA announced for end of March/early April, with West coast dates. Heard that Drill:NYC may be in the fall...

Curious if anyone has received shipment from Greedbag yet. My order shipped on 29 March and has to make it to my door.

New US dates starting to appear on FB

UPCOMING DATES
    July 25: Circolo Magnolia, Segrate (Milan), Italy 
    July 26: Villa Ada, Rome, Italy 
    Sept 16: The Metro , Chicago, IL, USA 
    Sept 17: El Club , Detroit, MI, USA 
    Sept 18: Ace Of Cups , Columbus, OH, USA 
    Sept 19: Beachland , Cleveland, OH, USA 
    Sept 20: Lee's Palace , Toronto, Canada 
    Sept 21: Theatre Fairmount , Montreal, Canada 
    Sept 22: Space, Portland, Maine, USA 
    Sept 23: The Sinclair, Cambridge, Mass, USA 
    Sept 25: Black Cat, Washington, DC, USA 
    Sept 26: Union Transfer, Philadelphia, PA, USA 
    Sept 28-30: Baby’s All Right , Brooklyn, NY, USA 

Man, a band I'd like to see. The new album is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    New US dates starting to appear on FB

UPCOMING DATES
    July 25: Circolo Magnolia, Segrate (Milan), Italy 
    July 26: Villa Ada, Rome, Italy 
    Sept 16: The Metro , Chicago, IL, USA 
    Sept 17: El Club , Detroit, MI, USA 
    Sept 18: Ace Of Cups , Columbus, OH, USA 
    Sept 19: Beachland , Cleveland, OH, USA 
    Sept 20: Lee's Palace , Toronto, Canada 
    Sept 21: Theatre Fairmount , Montreal, Canada 
    Sept 22: Space, Portland, Maine, USA 
    Sept 23: The Sinclair, Cambridge, Mass, USA 
    Sept 25: Black Cat, Washington, DC, USA 
    Sept 26: Union Transfer, Philadelphia, PA, USA 
    Sept 28-30: Baby’s All Right , Brooklyn, NY, USA 
    I am catching them in Montreal since I will be there on vacation. I already got tickets.

Time for another new album!

WIRE will release its 17th studio album, Mind Hive, on 24 January 2020. It will be available on LP, CD and digital. Ahead of this, we will today (22 October) launch the video for the song Cactused, which will also be available to stream on Spotify and Apple Music from 23 October. On release day, there will be a signing at Resident Records in Brighton. An album launch will follow at Rough Trade East on Saturday 25 January.

And tour dates:

27 January: Bristol, UK at The Fleece // Tickets
    28 January: Manchester, UK at Band on the Wall // Tickets
    29 January: Birmingham, UK at Hare & Hounds // Tickets
    30 January: Glasgow, UK at G2 (The Garage) // Tickets
    31 January: Leeds, UK at Brudenell Social Club // Tickets
    1 February: Brighton, UK at Chalk // Tickets

3 March: Minneapolis, MN at Fine Line // Tickets
    4 March: Chicago, IL at Metro // Tickets
    6 March: Nashville, TN at Mercy Lounge // Tickets
    7 March: Atlanta, GA at Variety Playhouse // Tickets
    9 March: Washington, DC at Union Stage
    10 March: Philadelphia, PA at Underground Arts // Tickets
    11 March: Brooklyn, NY at Music Hall of Williamsburg // Tickets
    12 March: Brooklyn, NY at Music Hall of Williamsburg // Tickets
    13 March: Boston, MA at Sinclair // Tickets

14 March: Ottawa, ON at Bronson Centre // Tickets
    16 March: Toronto, ON at Great Hall // Tickets

21 May: London, UK at Islington Assembly Hall // Tickets

Excellent news, and it sounds exactly like Wire!

I must make an effort to get to the London gig this time, it’s been a while since I managed to see them, although I have kept apace with all releases, and they are consistently interesting.

^The Atlanta show will be my first legitimate chance to see them. I’m definitely not passing it up.

Somehow, finding out that Robert Grey owns a farm (or at least drives a tractor on a farm ...) made my day.

Slightly disappointed with the new album. It’s not bad, but it’s not grabbing me. Few chances taken, same vocal processing. It’s not bad, but it certainly gets lost in the shuffle of the other recent albums. That’s too bad considering how awesome the Fitted album is.

Nevertheless, I am super excited to see them this weekend.

There's a new Wire album (of sorts) out.

Here are some details:
    WIRE have never been a band to rest on their laurels. Indeed, their forward facing aesthetic is matched only by their industriousness. A scant five months after the release of the widely acclaimed Mind Hive (“Sinewy, stripped-back, fearful — and beautiful” — The Guardian), Wire return with 10:20, a special release originally planned for the cancelled Record Store Day 2020.

Wire are Colin Newman, Graham Lewis, Robert Grey and Matthew Simms, and together they have served up a collection that morphs from bright psychedelic pop to pummelling noise — with several detours along the way.

10:20 also thrives on its own perverse logic. Herein are songs the band refers to as ‘strays’. These are recordings of pieces that couldn’t be accommodated on regular albums, as well as compositions that, following their original studio recording, evolved substantially through live performance, and so deserved a new life on record.
    https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/buy/kruicd/

So far, I'm enjoying this much more than Hive Mind which has never really clicked for me. I know most of these tunes are old (and, heck, half of them were recorded a decade ago), but there's definitely an energy to them that was lacking on the last album. (For what it's worth, I really love Silver/Lead.)

A Warning from Wire:

"You may have recently seen 10:20 for sale on Bandcamp. This was a scam page that was nothing to do with Wire, and is actually the second time this has happened on that site. At the time of writing, Wire does not work with Bandcamp, and so you will never find legit Wire releases (digital or otherwise) for sale there. For official digital releases, please buy direct from pinkflag.greedbag.com, or buy or stream from apple music, Spotify, itunes,Tidal, Deeze, Amazon play etc."

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I know most of these tunes are old (and, heck, half of them were recorded a decade ago), but there's definitely an energy to them that was lacking on the last album. (For what it's worth, I really love Silver/Lead.)
    I don't have 10:20 yet but I do have the Strays EP and, strangely, it's the least energetic number that has become one of my favorite post-80's Wire songs: the droning slow motion psych-out "He Knows."

I was a little disappointed with the sound quality of 10:20...

I managed to find the Record Store Day limited release “Not About To Die - Studio Demos 1977-1978l in Rough Trade the other day, and I have to say it’s brilliant. It consists of demos for Chairs Missing and 154, many in quite radically different versions, and others that didn’t make the cut, but are still superb. They were really at a peak of creativity at this point. If you happen to see a copy, it is well worth an investment.

I picked it up as well. I sent all my Wire boots to Colin ages ago. Most of the tracks are on Behind The Curtain, IIRC, but it's a really cool slab of vinyl.

^ Are these new alternative versions, or are the same demos and such included on the recent reissues of the first three albums? I.e., how much should I be concerned about not owning this collection?

Not About To Die is now available to preorder at Greedbag.

https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/buy/not-about-to-die/