Thread: Martin Barre - Thick As A Brick (excerpt) Tullianos Convention 2014

Martin Barre - Thick As A Brick (excerpt) Tullianos Convention 2014

Martin Barre - Tullianos Convention 2014, More videos from the show at the Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0lFu3hBfk

Very cool section to excerpt!

The choice of no keys to play Tull music doesn't make any sense to me, surely Martin could drag a keys player along for the ride.

Hank Azaria on lead vocals---an inspired choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Very cool section to excerpt!
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    The choice of no keys to play Tull music doesn't make any sense to me, surely Martin could drag a keys player along for the ride.
    Agreed again!

Martin posted yesterday that his new live album "Order Of Play" will be released this September.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I didn't like it. I found the clips of Ian Anderson performing his new album far more interesting. I wish I'd gone to that show now.

Good band, and Martin sounds terrific but I can't really get into a no organ/sax heavy arrangement of this. Otoh, listening to Ian A. croak through Critique/Oblique in a linked video is approaching being physically painful, no matter how competent his touring band is. So I think the answer is to listen to the old Tull albums and call it a (new) day (yesterday).

I thought it was a pretty good performance. Good for Mr. Barre.

Now, what was the reason that Martin split from Tull/Ian? Was it that Ian just wanted to disband Tull?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Good band, and Martin sounds terrific but I can't really get into a no organ/sax heavy arrangement of this. Otoh, listening to Ian A. croak through Critique/Oblique in a linked video is approaching being physically painful, no matter how competent his touring band is. So I think the answer is to listen to the old Tull albums and call it a (new) day (yesterday).
    Agreed on all points. If there's going to be no flute, there should at least be keys, particularly from such a keys-heavy album/period. As for modern Ian, I've said it many times: I'm happy to see/hear him releasing and performing new material, but he needs to let the old stuff go. I hate to admit that, but having seen him several times over the last decade or so, it's been harder and harder to defend his vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought it was a pretty good performance. Good for Mr. Barre.

Now, what was the reason that Martin split from Tull/Ian? Was it that Ian just wanted to disband Tull?
    Ian wants to record and tour under his own name. I don't think Martin would want to be a part of "The Ian Anderson Band" (even if it is largely that anyway). And most fans would see it as JT regardless. Perhaps Ian is avoiding another "A" scenario, the backlash from which he is still hearing about 34 years later.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've always been a huge Martin fan and always considered him the real backbone of Tull, but I just can't get into this. I'd much rather have seen the sax parts taken on by a Hammond
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Didn't like it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I love this version!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Tullianos!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Bravo! I applaud Martin and his interpretation. The man still has it. Who cares if there is no keys or flute! This is how he wants to approach it then so be it. How many times has he played it the 'traditional' way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Who cares if there is no keys or flute!
    I do. You can read it in my post, right up there

Really, I do applaud him for putting a new spin on things. It just doesn't actually work for me. Not on that tune at least...

Wish he'd tour the states, would love to see Martin. I find this different for sure, but enjoyable regardless.